Thread: IT Fuel Cell Requirements?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The interpretation of the rules to allow non-SFI or FIA fuel cells in IT has been prevalent for years. There are quite a few IT cars using unrated circle track cells. To my knowledge this hasn't been a safety issue. In my own case I would much prefer a circle track style cell to the poorly protected stock fuel tank. Even though lacking FIA certification, these cells have a proven safety history in the rough and tumble stock car world.

In my opinion, a rule "clarification" that would prohibit the common practice of using circle track type cells would be another example of the SCCA fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Charlie

Item number 4 under 9.3.26 which allows rotary molded cells not having a bladder, or not contained in a metal can in classes (IT) that are not required to have a cell but are allowable as an option.

I most certainly read the earlier part as if a cell is required it must meet the specs, but in classes where they are not there are no specs, especially with the rotary moulded (cheap, no SFI or FIA)cells allowed.

matt

Default Use a cell

This is a non-rule that should be a personal rule. Use a cell. Easiest way to prevent a catastrophic fire. Saves you, saves your car, saves your competitors. A gutted car that you escaped unharmed from is WAY more expensive than a fuel cell. Rubber bladder in a steel can only. Main thing to think about is how does a factory tank respond upside-down when it's hardest to get out of the car? I personally am skipping buying front struts and new tires this year to upgrade safety equipment.

I agree it is a good idea if you install and plumb it correctly. I think the best thing to avoid the catastrophic fire is a FIRE SYSTEM. Most factory installed fuel tanks are very good especially in the last 10 or so years. I have not seen a ton of cars catching on fire on the highways because of a rollover, they do take this into consideration on the OEM side. As long as your not racing older Chevy trucks or Pintos they seem pretty good. Most of the fires I have seen have been aftermarket part failures or not so good installations of aftermarket pumps and filters etc.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    I agree it is a good idea if you install and plumb it correctly. I think the best thing to avoid the catastrophic fire is a FIRE SYSTEM. Most factory installed fuel tanks are very good especially in the last 10 or so years. I have not seen a ton of cars catching on fire on the highways because of a rollover, they do take this into consideration on the OEM side. As long as your not racing older Chevy trucks or Pintos they seem pretty good. Most of the fires I have seen have been aftermarket part failures or not so good installations of aftermarket pumps and filters etc.
    Agreed. And for well more than a decade these systems have been totally sealed, they won't leak in a rollover, and they won't get punctured in 99% of crashes. They are less likely to leak than any backyard engineering would be.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Default ....

.....I understand, but how many improved touring cars are from the last decade? My car is a 1980 rabbit, hardly new technology. Also, with a factory tank are you using the origional fill neck? Just can't see a reason to not spend less than a set of tires for something so important, move the tank to a protected area and make sure the hold-down and plumbing are right.

Dammit! We *almost* made it two years before yet another newbie bumped up this thread/idea/topic again.

SO CLOSE!!!! So, so close...sigh...