Thread: IT Fuel Cell Requirements?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I agree it is a good idea if you install and plumb it correctly. I think the best thing to avoid the catastrophic fire is a FIRE SYSTEM. Most factory installed fuel tanks are very good especially in the last 10 or so years. I have not seen a ton of cars catching on fire on the highways because of a rollover, they do take this into consideration on the OEM side. As long as your not racing older Chevy trucks or Pintos they seem pretty good. Most of the fires I have seen have been aftermarket part failures or not so good installations of aftermarket pumps and filters etc.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    I agree it is a good idea if you install and plumb it correctly. I think the best thing to avoid the catastrophic fire is a FIRE SYSTEM. Most factory installed fuel tanks are very good especially in the last 10 or so years. I have not seen a ton of cars catching on fire on the highways because of a rollover, they do take this into consideration on the OEM side. As long as your not racing older Chevy trucks or Pintos they seem pretty good. Most of the fires I have seen have been aftermarket part failures or not so good installations of aftermarket pumps and filters etc.
    Agreed. And for well more than a decade these systems have been totally sealed, they won't leak in a rollover, and they won't get punctured in 99% of crashes. They are less likely to leak than any backyard engineering would be.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Default ....

.....I understand, but how many improved touring cars are from the last decade? My car is a 1980 rabbit, hardly new technology. Also, with a factory tank are you using the origional fill neck? Just can't see a reason to not spend less than a set of tires for something so important, move the tank to a protected area and make sure the hold-down and plumbing are right.

Dammit! We *almost* made it two years before yet another newbie bumped up this thread/idea/topic again.

SO CLOSE!!!! So, so close...sigh...