Hoo-boy, this is interesting...I agree with Ryan. Here's the line again:
All cars must be equipped with a safety fuel cell complying with these specifications, except for Showroom Stock, Touring, Spec Miata, and Improved Touring.
Here's where the conflict arises: Ryan (and I) read these lines to mean:
All cars must be equipped with a safety fuel cell, except for Showroom Stock, Touring, Spec Miata, and Improved Touring. If installed it must meet these specs.
Here's how Dick reads that line:
A safety fuel cell, if installed, must with these specifications, except for Showroom Stock, Touring, Spec Miata, and Improved Touring.
Frankly, I believe the intent is that cells are optional in Improved Touring, but if installed must comply with the specs. This falls in line with prior "safety" related issues, in that safety equipment must meet specific specifications, such as harnesses, seats, suits, helmets, window nets, ad nausea. In fact, the only "safety" equipment that is allowed but not required to meet any sort of spec is head and neck restraints, and those are not even (yet) specifically called out in the GCR. I can't imagine SCCA calling for a piece of safety equipment and not requiring it meet a spec.

Didn't we have this debate some time back? I seem to recall this, and I also seem to recall being convinced to a position in opposition to what I am writing above...maybe someone can do a search and find it...?

Greg