Thread: IT Fuel Cell Requirements?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yup, here it is. We didn't resolve it back then, either, just Dick and I agreeing to disagree, and tossing it over to someone else to work out...

https://improvedtouring.com...ight=fuel+cell

By the way, I pulled up a copy of the 2004 GCR. The rules for IT are effectively the same, but referred the reader to TWO sections of the GCR, 17.12 and 19.

17.12 was pretty much the same as the current one and had that same verbiage, "All cars shall be equipped with a fuel cell complying with specifications according to GCR Section 19., except Showroom Stock, Touring and Improved Touring cars."

19, however, was a complete discrete section of the GCR detailing how a fuel cell was to be constructed and installed. It started with:
    All safety fuel cells shall be constructed and certified in accordance with the FIA FT-3 specifications. Where safety fuel cells are required in SCCA Competition, all safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam-filled fuel bladder enclosed in a metal container at minimum.
    In order to comply with the ITCS you had to comply with GCR 19, and while there were no expressed exclusions for IT cars, there are still those "where safety fuel cells are required" weasel words...

I still can't imagine SCCA allowing a safety item in a car and not requiring it to meet a spec, but it's certainly vague enough to make one go ...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I still can't imagine SCCA allowing a safety item in a car and not requiring it to meet a spec, but it's certainly vague enough to make one go ...
    such as optional tubes in a roll cage not having to be of a minimum size?

I guess the best advice is from the other thread. make sure the guy who is going to inspect your car will pass it. In this part of the country the practice agrees with my interpretation. YMMV
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I agree with Greg on this one.

My read: Certain classes HAVE to have a cell and that cell must meet FIA spec.

Certain classes a cell is optional - but if installed, that cell is not exempt from spec. "All cells shall be constructed...".

It doesn't make sense to me that certain classes can have 'sub-spec' cells. IMHO.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    It doesn't make sense to me that certain classes can have 'sub-spec' cells. IMHO.
    When asked about the logic of having less rigorous standard (requiring fuel cells) in IT and similar classes the CRB chair responded that prod and GT cars do not require functional bumpers so are much more vulnerable in an incident.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I think we can get a clarification on this one pretty easily. Hope it works out 'fer ya!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I think we can get a clarification on this one pretty easily. Hope it works out 'fer ya!
    I think this may be a good case for letting a sleeping dog lie...