Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plain old gas ( POG )

Sticker is on my car!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by nsuracer View Post
    This is an opinion from the race engine builder that does all my machine work. Low compression engines do not do well on high octane fuel. He says that only do you spend more money but the performance is less. He is a circle track guy and he says that the engines are lazy. I imagine that it slows the burn rate down.
    I'm curious what he considers low compression to be. Also is he talking about static compression or dynamic, where the cam and possible varible valve timeing is concerned?

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

everything I have heard or read says that once you have enough octane for the compression you are running, any more and you are loosing power. The burn rate slows, which hurts power. Is this a big effect, probably not. But who wants to sign up for less power for more money.

Mike

Can someone educate me on the "rocket" and "exotic" fuels that are the issue? We have a Spec Miata and dyno lined up to put POG VS Rocket fuel to the test, for an upcoming issue of SportsCar. I want to make sure we get the right fuels, so someone help me out.

I would really like to hear from people on both sides of this issue, of course you can email me directly if you wish to be anonymous.

[email protected]

The problem you're going to have, Jason, is that the folks running this "rocket fuel" are not really going to want to divulge what they're running. I personally don't know what most of this stuff is, but a lot of it is pretty evil.

<info removed by author>

And, don't forget the car will need to be re-tuned specifically for the different blends... - GA
    Last edited by lateapex911; 10-20-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Steve Gorriaran emailed me and nicely asked me to correct something for him. HAH!!! I kill myself...hey, just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by SportsCar View Post
    Can someone educate me
    Generally, it's the job of a journalist is to educate themselves on the topic they wish to cover, but I did respond to your email with some details. Please fill yourself in on all the facts before creating an article or it will not be much of a service to the community. I'd recommend browsing through all the links and info from the original posting here, specifically the discussion on the http://specmiata.com/ web forums.

Thanks for your time,
    Jeff Seelig; IT POG Admin
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

Quote Originally Posted by 77ITA View Post
    Generally, it's the job of a journalist is to educate themselves on the topic they wish to cover
    Cant fault the guy for asking questions of the people that know what they're talking about or have first hand experience.
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy&#39;s Custom Cages
    It&#39;s not what you build... It&#39;s how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Quote Originally Posted by 77ITA View Post
    Generally, it's the job of a journalist is to educate themselves on the topic they wish to cover, but I did respond to your email with some details. Please fill yourself in on all the facts before creating an article or it will not be much of a service to the community. I'd recommend browsing through all the links and info from the original posting here, specifically the discussion on the SM web forums.

Thanks for your time,
    Jeff Seelig; IT POG Admin
    Typically in an effort to educate ourselves on any topic we seek out experts in that field... As the self proclaimed POG Admin I suppose you could qualify as some type of expert. On the other hand I don't know if you are a chemist/fuel engineer, or just someone who does not like others to spend more money to go fast.

When I talk to an engineer at the fuel manufacturer, I know they are qualified and will give me factual data.

I have looked at your site as well as the links to it. I see a lot of complaints about exotic fuels and there alleged effects, but no specifics as to the fuels in question. This is your opportunity to inform us on your side of the issue, if you leave information out that you deem important to your cause, that would be a shame.

I bet if you try www.vpracingfuels.com there would be some useful information.

Typically in an effort to educate ourselves on any topic we seek out experts in that field... As the self proclaimed POG Admin I suppose you could qualify as some type of expert.
    I'm doing the best I can to support a cause that I believe in, but unfortunately I don't have large quantities of spare time. Your first e-mail to me was rather vague and attempting to summarize everything for you via email would surely cause you to lose out on some important details and perspectives. It's your job as an journalist to seek out all the information on the subject and there's not much more that I can tell you other than what is available in [easily accessible] online print.

I did email you with the contact information of someone that is eager to contribute as well as a few more details that I had to offer.

All this being said, I apologize for coming off brash. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your objective coverage on the subject and I am sure it will be of much value to the Club Racing community as well as the POG effort.

Thanks again,
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion

www.plainoldgas.com

When I talk to an engineer at the fuel manufacturer, I know they are qualified to give me factual data.....

I
    Helped you out with that...

Whether you get it, and whether you get the entire picture, even from one source, is another thing entirely. Just sayin'...........
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

BTW, I've got my sticky on...

K

VP SR1 is one of the fuels a bunch of Spec Miata guys are running...or at least talking about. Using this fuel I saw +2.5 HP on the dyno with my '91, and that's vs. a VERY good AFM. I took the opportunity to tune a second AFM for the "bad" stuff just in case I ever decided to run it - with my good AFM I went too lean with the rocket fuel, and I wasn't about to dink with the good AFM for a "might run it" fuel. As it's happened, I've never run the stuff and doubt I ever will.

ERC also has a product that produces more power than POG. My understanding is that it adds slightly less power than the VP fuel, but is also "some" cheaper.

The SR1 fuel has a slightly different scent to it, but isn't the worst offender; if you ever want to clear everyone out of your paddock spot, crack open a jug of ERC - it will do the job, even if the wind is blowing.

Jarrod
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

I've been MIA due to a new house, a new job, and an S2000 ITR car that may never see the light of day. No fear though, as POG is still running strong. Updated the list today!

thanks,
    -Jeff
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion

www.plainoldgas.com

What a great idea, when I get the car finished you bet I'd support this. Keep Grass roots racing what it is.!
    Racer of old BMW's.
    MCSCC ITS Class E30 325is
    Racing where IT still exists: http://www.mcscc.org/

I haven't checked in on this one for a while.

Was it ever agreed whether 100 unleaded pump gas (like Sunoco 260 GT 100)is considered POG?

I ask because while I fully support the concept, I use 100 on my 10.48:1 motor. It is more than I need, except if something goes wrong and it runs lean (which happened a few times last year). Cheap insurance, but I don't want to run the sticker if folks don't think it 'fits'.
    Last edited by shwah; 03-17-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Was it ever agreed whether 100 unleaded pump gas (like Sunoco 260 GT 100)is considered POG?
    POG is defined to include:
    1. What can be purchased from a pump at a retail gas station for legal street use.
    2. What can be purchased from a track pump at the track where the race is held.
    100 pump gas falls into one or both of the above, so yes, 100-octane pump gas is POG.

I wasn't previously aware there was an IT POG initiative; signing up now...
    Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
    Director, SCCA San Francisco Region
    2011 SFR-SCCA ITS Champion
    #12 ITS (1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata)
    #12 STU (2003 Mitsubishi Evo 8)

Mailed more stickers today!

Career moves are keeping me from racing, but the POG movement is growing!

-Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion

www.plainoldgas.com