Thread: Plain old gas ( POG )

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is an opinion from the race engine builder that does all my machine work. Low compression engines do not do well on high octane fuel. He says that only do you spend more money but the performance is less. He is a circle track guy and he says that the engines are lazy. I imagine that it slows the burn rate down.
    ALEX WILEY

59 SAAB 750GT MINI STOCK 70-72
    67 NSU 1000TT C SEDAN 73-75
    67 NSU 1000 TTS GT5 81-82
    74 FIAT 128SL GT5 83-84
    71 DATSUN 510 MINI STOCK 89-91
    74 SAAB 99 ITB 92
    74 VOLVO 142 MINI STOCK 93-05
    84 VW GTI ITB 06-08
    87 VW GOLF GTI ITB #15 CURRENT

Sticker is on my car!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by nsuracer View Post
    This is an opinion from the race engine builder that does all my machine work. Low compression engines do not do well on high octane fuel. He says that only do you spend more money but the performance is less. He is a circle track guy and he says that the engines are lazy. I imagine that it slows the burn rate down.
    I'm curious what he considers low compression to be. Also is he talking about static compression or dynamic, where the cam and possible varible valve timeing is concerned?

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

everything I have heard or read says that once you have enough octane for the compression you are running, any more and you are loosing power. The burn rate slows, which hurts power. Is this a big effect, probably not. But who wants to sign up for less power for more money.

Mike