Thread: tounge weight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default tounge weight

i have a 20 foot enclosed trailer with a 2500 lb car and 3200lb trailer. 7000 gross weight total. how do figure out the tounge weight or what should it be close too? thanks rick
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Rick,

You should aim for 10% to 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue.

less than 10% and you will die.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Saw a guy try considerably less than 10%, just the other day. More accurately, I saw the results... i.e. a trailer pointed mostly in the direction of travel and a pickup about 140 or 150 degrees from that, while still hooked to the trailer. Needless to say, there were some pickup and trailer pieces that were dimensionally out of spec as a result.

This guy was pulling a single axle trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup, the trailer having been loaded with another 1/2 ton pickup. From a weight distribution standpoint, it didn't look too bad until you noticed one detail - he had the pickup loaded backwards! Didja ever notice that pickups tend to be quite heavy on the front axle? I'm willing to bet there was less than 5% tongue weight on this setup, might have even been negative.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

so does a weight distribution hitch with 800 tounge weight soung right? 10% of 7000 is 700 or should i give it a fudge factor and order bars that are rated @ 1000. i am going from a open trailer to a closed trailer and i am not into surprises on the first journey.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

I have about the same setup and use a 1200 point weight bar. If it is possible and does not make the truck sag too much I would go higher. Unless the truck complains I don’t think you can have too much.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7