Thread: Hankooks -

Default Hankooks -

If you want Hankooks in :

225/45R15 C51
    205/50R15 C51
    225/50R14 C51
    245/40R17 C51

I will have quantity available in all the above sizes by early next week. These will and are starting to go fast. If you want a set or two or more I am strongly suggesting you call me by Thursday (4-17) and order your quantity. It will be first come first served. I am sure they will be gone very quickly.

Phil
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

And then the problem becomes the SECOND shipment!

These guys really need to get serious about availability if they want to start selling some tires.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    These guys really need to get serious about availability if they want to start selling some tires.
    +1

GREAT tires, cost less, better contingency. But I go through the ones I buy in April, then...what? Wait for the next container shipment so I can go racing again...?

I'm a *big* fan of 'Kooks, ran 'em almost all last year. But, first, I can't afford to buy a season's worth of inventory in one shot, and second, I really don't want to store them all in my garage, hoping I don't do something stupid like flat-spot a full set in one idiot move and run out. No offense to my good buddy Phil Philips (he is NOT the cause of this, in fact he's done a lot to mitigate this) but inventory control/maintenance/supply is the responsibility of the wholesale supply chain, not the retail outlet or retail customer.

The moment Hankook can maintain a consistent supply of those tires in this country - and can ensure they will be able to sell them to me when I need them - I will swap over in a heartbeat...until then I'll relent to paying a bit more for a tire I know I can buy on the spot market...

Just sayin'.

I am sure they will be gone very quickly.
    Phil, as Greg said this isn't a knock on you but the whole Hankook supply issues makes things a bit silly. It's almost like we should be honored to be able to find Hankooks in stock. Their pricing is good, contingency great, supply sucks. Too bad Hoosier can't be more competitive with their pricing - if they were, they'd crush Hankook on the fact people can actually find them.

Maybe I should start selling the Kooks on eBay?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Default Hankook

Hey guys don't shoot the messenger.....

I just sell em....I don't own the company. I ran them, AJ is running them and they are fast. The GSR will see Hoosiers though ....lol I hear ya on the supply issue......

It's my duty to offer them....that's all

back to the grind
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by philstireservice View Post
    Hey guys don't shoot the messenger.....

I just sell em....I don't own the company. I ran them, AJ is running them and they are fast. The GSR will see Hoosiers though ....lol I hear ya on the supply issue......

It's my duty to offer them....that's all

back to the grind
    Understood Phil, it's also your duty as a good business man to make sure you can keep your customers supplied for a number of reasons. If you can't do that in good conscience don't sell them until you are also comfortable with the supply issue. You'll be able to sleep better.

For Phil's sake, I wish Hankook would fix their shit.

I'm in the same boat as Greg, I certainly liked the old C50s I ran on my Integra, and would be all over the supply that Phil has right now, IF I knew I could get my hands on another set later on this year.

The way it looks now, is that you get a set now and then the next one......... in 2009.

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    Understood Phil, it's also your duty as a good business man to make sure you can keep your customers supplied for a number of reasons. If you can't do that in good conscience don't sell them until you are also comfortable with the supply issue. You'll be able to sleep better.
    I'm thinking that was a joke, right? As in "you can't sell them to everyone, but just me, you know, in good conscience"

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Default Hankook

Dan...I sleep very well.
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    I'm thinking that was a joke, right? As in "you can't sell them to everyone, but just me, you know, in good conscience"

-Tom
    I don't think you read my post correctly or are taking in out of context.

[quote=dj10;264012]Understood Phil, it's also your duty as a good business man to make sure you can keep your customers supplied for a number of reasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong Phil, but you are a retailer and therefore at the mercy of Hankook and their importer/distributor. You and every other racing tire retailer have their hand out wanting some tires to sell but if their supply chain is garbage, you are out of luck.

I work for a freight forwarder/Customs broker so maybe I should contact Hankook and see if I can try and assist with improving their supply chain. There's obviously some folks that like the Kooks and would purchase them IF they were available.
    Greg Heuer
    ITC Fiesta #92 (in progress)
    '65 Beach 5B FV #67
    '65 Sardini FV (not yet in progress)
    '03 Crown Vic aka "Tackleberry"

"Racing more cubic inches requires more cubic dollars"

He does...he offers options with other brands in a multitude of sizes. (Sometimes too much choice is too much...)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Is the supply issue there for all sizes, or just these?

How about - for instance - 225/45-13?
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Default kooks

presently ...they are available
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels

So do they go through 'available', 'not available', 'available again' cycles, or are they like buying Hoosiers?
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Default kooks

[quote=CCDangie71;264618]
    Understood Phil, it's also your duty as a good business man to make sure you can keep your customers supplied for a number of reasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong Phil, but you are a retailer and therefore at the mercy of Hankook and their importer/distributor. You and every other racing tire retailer have their hand out wanting some tires to sell but if their supply chain is garbage, you are out of luck.

I work for a freight forwarder/Customs broker so maybe I should contact Hankook and see if I can try and assist with improving their supply chain. There's obviously some folks that like the Kooks and would purchase them IF they were available.

I would love if this was the problem and you had the fix. The issue is a very limited amount of tires are being shipped or ordered or manufactured. Take your pick, or choose all three. You are correct we are at their mercy.......The reasons are not being made available to us, the dealers, as of yet. We are though, trying to get an answer and a fix to the problem. I, as a businessman, do care what I sell and if there are problems concerning the product, I WILL get an answer and a remedy. Ask some of my suppliers, I am not shy when it comes to getting my hands on product .............if it is available.

Thanks for the offer.....
    Last edited by philstireservice; 04-25-2008 at 07:02 AM.
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    So do they go through 'available', 'not available', 'available again' cycles, or are they like buying Hoosiers?

That would be a yes....sorry to say. Not like buying Hoosiers, which are very rarely out, and if so, not for a long period of time.
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels

Have you guys done business with Phil??

Sounds like you haven't becasue you'd know Phil isn't out to screw anyone.

This isn't his fault, he just sells them and has been very up front about giving everyone a heads up about availability.

If you don't like the Hankook, go buy Hoosiers from him. But don't sit there and trash him

Chill..........
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Have you guys done business with Phil??

Sounds like you haven't becasue you'd know Phil isn't out to screw anyone.
    I haven't done business with Phil but I likely will because he's a racer and his prices are more than fair. All I was trying to do was wrap my head around the supply issue. With all of the different tire manufacturers out there, different compounds and sizes, it appears Hankook doesn't want to have a lot of excess stock sitting in the retailer's warehouses. However, they are doing it to the extreme which forces a potential buyer to consider a readily available tire for a consistent setup on the car.
    Greg Heuer
    ITC Fiesta #92 (in progress)
    '65 Beach 5B FV #67
    '65 Sardini FV (not yet in progress)
    '03 Crown Vic aka "Tackleberry"

"Racing more cubic inches requires more cubic dollars"

I don't know Phil at all, but never assumed he would answer my questions with anything other than directness and honesty. I just figured that since he offers both products he would be a great person to ask about whether supply may be an issue with the 'kooks.

That said, the reduced Hoosier contingency still has me looking at how much greener the grass is on the other side of the fence. Our local retailer also carries both brands, and has tried to put me on the new tire a few times - I just wasn't willing to give up a proven performer for an unknown. Now that data is starting to show that the new tire can keep up, data is also showing that the new tire might not be on the shelf, so I still can't make a decision to switch.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd