Thread: Are wheel spacers safe for the track?

Default Are wheel spacers safe for the track?

Are they? Assume they are going to be run with longer lug bolts.

Yes.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I run a 10mm H&R spacer on the front to prevent wheel scrub on the coil-overs. I've swapped out the lug bolts for hardend (made by ARP) studs. Also something to watch out for is, assuming VW's have lug-bolts and are hub-centric too, the spacer to wheel chamfer clearance. If this is off the lugs or studs take the load and are known to break due to fatigue. The ones to really watch out for are Kosi and SSR type rims which use an adapter.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I converted my VW to long studs, and run up to 1" spacers.

VWs are hubcentric - 57.1mm. However I don't always run hubcentric wheels or spacers.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Also something to watch out for is, assuming VW's have lug-bolts and are hub-centric too, the spacer to wheel chamfer clearance. If this is off the lugs or studs take the load and are known to break due to fatigue. The ones to really watch out for are Kosi and SSR type rims which use an adapter.

James
    I am, confused a bit here.

Do you have a picture or photo illustrating this? I am unclear and can't see what you describe in my mind with: "the spacer to wheel chamfer clearance".

If you don't have a photo, can you be more specific in words as to exactly where the " "chamfer is" and where to look.

Thanks,

Don