Thread: Brake Ducts ... are these legal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Brake Ducts ... are these legal

"Air ducts may be fitted to the brakes, provided that they extend in a forward direction only, and that no changes are made in the body/structure for their use."

Is some thing along the lines of this legal (no, that is not an IT cars suspension )

rules say air ducts may be added, so I am assuming this would pass as an air duct?

if that is legal, then what about the "in the forward direction only" part. Lets say the top left picture is the front passenger side and has a hose going around the suspension to the front of the vehicle, would that then be an illegal setup due to it not facing forward?

Legal. The facing forward refers to the actual duct on the front of the car that collects the air.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Default Brake Ducts

Just remember, that you need to run air to both the rotor and the caliper. The examples that you show only cool the rotor.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Hey Tim - please show a product that cools the caliper - haven't seen examples of that.

Thanks,
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I believe he is referring to something like this

Cooling where the brake fluid is sitting in the caliper, so it doesn't boil.

I think with vented rotors if you cool through the veins you will be accomplishing both at the same time. With the rotors and pads staying cooler you will get less heat soak through the caliper, so indirectly achieving the same thing.

I wonder about tapping the caliper for screws - this is the first version of caliper cooling I've seen and I like the idea however this doesn't appear to have been adopted by many folks - perhaps because of vented rotors doing the job as you describe.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion