Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Al Fairer Double SARRC at VIR

Default Al Fairer Double SARRC at VIR

Since I'm not sure about being able to make it to Roebling Road later this month I started looking forward on the schedule to the Al Fairer Double SARRC at VIR May 10th and 11th. I love VIR, especially the Full Coarse. I have the weekend off from work. But I'm having doubts because of the run groups. I see that ITS and ITR are scheduled to run with SRF. Am I the only one that gets bent out of shape when a region disregards the SEDIV race groupings? I don't see anything in the supps about a split start. I wonder if we could get a commitment from the stewards to split start the SRFs? Anyone...Bueller...Bueller?

Am I being unreasonable?
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Hey Steve,

Jeff and I were discussing the same thing. One of the reasons why I don't run the Carolina Cup regularly is that I don't like the SRFs in the run group. I have nothing against the drivers of the cars, but the cars themselves I have a heck of a time seeing. And as you know I bumped one off track at CMP thus taking us both out of the race (my fault) thus I'm a bit apprehensive about racing with them now as that was my first and only on track accident to date.

I'd be happy to throw in support on a letter for a split start and I bet the SRF guys would like it too. They don't like getting mixed up with the ITS/ITA cars any more than we like getting mixed up with them. Jeff mentioned that Ginny sets up the run groups, maybe we could write her and throw a few names on the email and see what can be done.

Now, about that Roebling Road, I sure hope you can make it down there. I think you're driving well and your car is strong, you could be running well for a good SAARC/SIC finish in 2008! Bring it on out!

I am with you guys. I do not like racing with SRFs. We make speed way differently, and I can't see them. I'll e-mail Ginny about a split start.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Steve, send me your e-mail address to [never mind, got it from Ron -- who would thought it would have been [email protected]]. I've started a dialogue with Ginny on this (she's great by the way) and we'll see if we can't at least get a split start. Would like to include you in the discussion.
    Last edited by JeffYoung; 04-11-2008 at 06:56 PM.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Steve, send me your e-mail address to [never mind, got it from Ron -- who would thought it would have been sparrish@ theGIANTpenispump,com I've started a dialogue with Ginny on this (she's great by the way) and we'll see if we can't at least get a split start. Would like to include you in the discussion.
    Fixed that for ya...

Ginny really is awsome.. I hope she has some pull. But I'm tired of selling my soul to get the weekend off, busting my arss to get the car ready and loaded, filling up the tanks, driving to the track, and paying the entry fee only to have a race Steward simply say "No" when the overwhelming majority asks for a split start. I need more assurance this time.
    Last edited by Parrish57; 04-11-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    Fixed that for ya...

Ginny really is awsome.. .
    Steve,

... I have nothing but praise for Ginny. Man does she work hard for our region.

.... If I had my way..... A SRF would be considered an open wheel car.

.... Now if they want to put bumpers on those door stops I'll be glad to run with them........ That way I can Blow the Horn when I need to :cool:

.... Rickey

I raced a SRF with the IT cars last year at the 13 hour and also a CCP race at VIR last year in an SRF.

I did get punted by an SM on entry to the pits during the 13 hour, but that wasn't a class specific issue.

I have also raced the 13 hour in an IT car and did not mind the SRF's on the track. I thought we mixed well and had a great time sharing the track.

I know a sprint is a different situation, but I sure would hate to see the SRF's excluded from enduros like they are here in Florida.

I hate to think what you guys think of the ITC cars out there Hopefully doing away with the VIN rule will make it an easy transition for me to ITB.

I was at VIR for the Double Nationals this weekend, and brought the concern up to Ginny. Apparently, she had received an email or two about it, and had sent it on to the appropriate people. Maybe it will happen, maybe not.

I don't have issue with the SRF drivers... as with all the SRF's, IT7's, and SM's, if I can't see it, I can hear it. As I've progressed as a driver, I've grown to use my ears as much (maybe more than) as my mirrors.

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Hey hoop, ITC cars are no problem at all. They are tall enough to see! It isn't the speed differential that is the problem. In fact the fast SRFs are spread all through the ITS/ITA run group, or we're spread all through theirs depending on how you look at it. The visuals are the main issue, you've really got to spend a lot of time looking for them and even then you are going to miss some that close in the corners and simply our out of view of they mirrors.

The SRFs are hard to hear in relation to an uncorked S car too - they don't rev so high and I think most S cars are a fair bit louder, although the sound sheet would show it.

How was the National, good stuff?

R

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Hey hoop, ITC cars are no problem at all. They are tall enough to see! It isn't the speed differential that is the problem.
    We wish we were faster I cant tell you how often we get slowed up by a SM that has more torque down the straight, but no grip in the corners.

The SRFs are hard to hear in relation to an uncorked S car too - they don't rev so high and I think most S cars are a fair bit louder, although the sound sheet would show it.
    I didn't think about that... extra Cylinders = extra noise!

How was the National, good stuff?

R
    Nationals was great! I worked pit out, so I got to see everything come by. Some really nice cars! Saturday the Big Bore Wings n Things had to run in the rain... that was exciting! Apparently one of them barrel rolled at 8.

In Saturday's SRF race, Lee Hill started 6th on dry tires, quickly fell back to 25th, and worked his way back to win the race.

Wayne Quick got 2nd on Sunday, and there was a big wreck in the big bore class at Nascar, with 50% track blockage!

Surprisingly, other than 1 Miata probably being totaled (he still finished the race), the SM group was quiet most of the weekend.

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Guys, I drove the National last weekend in Spec Miata, where we were combined with the T3 and SSB/ SSC guys (about two-thirds SM). A couple of the SS guys asked during the drivers meeting on Friday if we could have a split start. The head steward (Clyde, I think) asked for a show of hands, most of us voted yes, and bam, it was done!

I was surprised, we had asked for this a couple times last year and got turned down. So, maybe it won't be so hard?

Also, the qualifying sessions were gridded first come, first served all weekend.

Steve

I'm sure disappointed to be missing the Al Fairer weekend this year. It is one of my most anticipated events.

Just a little update to all those that I do so enjoy racing with. I sure do NOT like body work. I put it off as much as possible but eventually it gets done!

My car is almost ready for the body shop. Fenders, snout, passengers door are on. Now I have to tie in all the front underpans because I put on an 89 snout and they don't quite match up.

After that it's off to MAACO for the rear quarter panels to be pulled straight and then paint. Just plain old white this time. Boy my car sure was beautiful when I first got it. Whomever did the paint was pretty good especially for a race car.

My target race is perhaps RA but definitely Barber and then the ARRC. That's it for this year, "operating overhead" is way out of budget.

I'm sure none of you are shivering in fear of me returning to the S ranks but it will be good to finally get some use out of Chris' nifty programable ECU.

As always happens when you are "forced" into really getting into the minutia of your car you find all sorts of stuff you should have done better, like ensuring that the alternator output cable is really tight and charging your battery.

Can't wait to be back.

Play hard but be nice it's a HOBBY remember!

Travers
    ITS 19

Quote Originally Posted by tbtapper View Post
    I'm sure disappointed to be missing the Al Fairer weekend this year. It is one of my most anticipated events.

Just a little update to all those that I do so enjoy racing with. I sure do NOT like body work. I put it off as much as possible but eventually it gets done!

My car is almost ready for the body shop. Fenders, snout, passengers door are on. Now I have to tie in all the front underpans because I put on an 89 snout and they don't quite match up.

After that it's off to MAACO for the rear quarter panels to be pulled straight and then paint. Just plain old white this time. Boy my car sure was beautiful when I first got it. Whomever did the paint was pretty good especially for a race car.

My target race is perhaps RA but definitely Barber and then the ARRC. That's it for this year, "operating overhead" is way out of budget.

I'm sure none of you are shivering in fear of me returning to the S ranks but it will be good to finally get some use out of Chris' nifty programable ECU.

As always happens when you are "forced" into really getting into the minutia of your car you find all sorts of stuff you should have done better, like ensuring that the alternator output cable is really tight and charging your battery.

Can't wait to be back.

Play hard but be nice it's a HOBBY remember!

Travers
    ITS 19
    Travers... The rest of the ITS world shares your disdane for bodywork. What happened to you at Kershaw really sucks. We all look forward to your return. If it's any consolation, I found the same thing when I had to replace my car after a big hit. I found that there were many things that were underprepared on the old car. The next version is always faster and better preparred.

I'm also hoping to make Barber. I went there last year and seriously enjoyed the track! Get that baby finished and come out to play!
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Guys, I just spoke with Sara Snider, Chief Steward for the VIR race. We can request a split start after qualifying Saturday morning and she said the request would likely be granted.

We should get as big a group of ITS drivers together as we can and go see the Operating Steward right after we qualify and ask. Steve, Ron, you guys in?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I'm in on that action. I'm sure many of the other ITS/ITR/ITA drivers will be too.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I'm in on that action. I'm sure many of the other ITS/ITR/ITA drivers will be too.

Ron
    I'm all for it but.............. Who starts in front of who?

I sure don't want to have to pass all of them..........

Sara asked the same question.......

I'm just more concerned about keeping the S cars together for a while. Preferably we'd start in the front, but being the in back would still be better than all mixed up with them (in my humble opinion).
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshoe View Post
    ...well clearly if we're doing the asking we're starting out front!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshoe View Post

I sure don't want to have to pass all of them..........
    Good point... but I don't think it really matters. If we start half a track behind some SRF and run him down we'll be past and long gone lickity split. I just don't want to start side-by-side with an SRF that qualified with identical lap times.....
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

I also questioned Sara about why cars form the NINETEEN SEVENTIES were allowed to start in my group, much less even race at all. She sighed, agreed, and indicated that all cars from the NINETEEN SEVENTIES will start as a group, parked, on pit road. After 3-4 laps, they will let you guys on to the track -- but stay out of people's way!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8