Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rumours, innuendo and results from NHIS.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Why was Steve DQ-ed?

He wasn't DQ'ed, just knocked back four (I think) places. I believe the rule is that if you leave the racing surface during the pace lap, you have to re-join at the back of the pack. He got a little over zelous scurbbing his tires at the top of the hill, got off into the dirt sideways, then re-joined in his original spot. From watching at turn 3, we all thought he was going to shoot back into the pack and collect a bunch of cars. Very scary from our vantage point.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

So, no new news from Jeff.....

(sorry Jeff, couldn't resist!)

What's up with the tunnel?? How deep was that?

Gorrian? In ITA?...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    He wasn't DQ'ed, just knocked back four (I think) places. I believe the rule is that if you leave the racing surface during the pace lap, you have to re-join at the back of the pack.
    I think the section I bolded below covers it, but opinions are always welcome. I know we have plenty of those here.

6.2.2. SCCA Standard Start (Rolling Start)

J. A car may not improve its position in the field once it comes under the Starter’s orders, regardless of circumstances.
    1. A car that fails to start with the pack or falls out of position during a pace lap relinquishes its grid position. It may rejoin the field only at the rear of the pack.
    2. A car that improves its position is guilty of a false start and may be penalized. A false start shall occur when a driver under the Starter’s orders moves forward from his or her prescribed position before the start. In the case of a rolling start, this movement shall refer to improving the driver’s position in rela­tion to the moving field by moving out of line or passing prior to the waving of the green flag.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Patullo had a nice 'moment' in T3 that I hear is pretty awesome...
    The top three IT7 cars qualified within 2 tenths, I was third with the first to separated by 2 hundredths.
    On the first lap in turn three I ran out of talent and did a 360 spin at the entrance in the middle of the pack. I know in that moment I was going to be spending a lot of time in the garage fixing this.
    Miraculously the seas split and no one touched me. Upon reflection I determined that many of those that drove so well in not hitting me were my students from the day before so I think I will take credit for that.
    Congratulation to Grant McStay, the first Ne Div IT7 race winner, lap record holder, NERRC and NARRC points leader.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Joe kicked ass. That's all I got to say about that...

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    He got a little over zelous scurbbing his tires...
    I think that's being a bit nice. I'd describe it more as being an arrogant bonehead.

As he was coming through T3 he tried to kick out the rear tires, I assume to heat them up. He got WAAY out of shape and just about lost the car around that blind spot/Jersey barriers right then and there. Fortunately, he caught it and continued.

Then he did the EXACT SAME STUPID THING at the top of the hill. This time his "ginormous" talent pool didn't save him; he tank-slapped it into the dirt and up the hill on the left, then shot across the track to the right, across Andy's bow. Andy, who was originally gridded behind him, swung around him and continued, with Gorrarian in quick pursuit, and he got back into his original spot (which was just to the left of Andy, same row.)

Hey, it might have worked for him, except for the somewhat-minor inconvenience of other drivers having been in the same race group as him...

Jake, he's done that before, run ITA; in fact, he was on pole with that Spec Miata at Watkins Glen last year when I was there. Like I told Andy, those Spec Miatas make damn fine ITA cars...give them real shocks, less weight, open exhausts, internal engine mods - call it 25-30 more horsepower - open diff and such and that thing might actually be able to eventually even place top-3...

I have no clue how Patullo managed to do a complete 360 in the middle of the pack - in the entry to T3, first lap, and not get hit.

I'm tired. Glad we only do this event once a year...

being an arrogant bonehead.
    Nah, not Gorrian. What a ...

Dick, was Grant in his new car? Glad to hear you didn't cause any damage to your car!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

regardless of how he got there that ITA battle was the highlight of the day.

pretty sure I saw first hand how crazy Joe really is.

I have tried to cut a cool screen shot from the T3 360... but cannot see to do it. Is there a program that I should try and use to "pull" a screen shot from a video clip. The video clip should be good!

This is a bit of the a "thank you to the academy" thing coming, but I need to offer a huge thanks to a number of people who:

a) helped me get through the school
    b) helped me get my head in the game after feeling very overwhelmed after the test day
    c) helped me get my permit approved
    d) helped me keep my car nice and straight
    e) and... sharing in my excitement!

I still have an ear to ear grin!

Special thanks to Kyle for his generosity, sweat equity, enthusiasm, and support.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    .... Gorrian. What a ...

Dick, .....
    Just in case you were too subtle, wouldn't want anyone to miss a well crafted forum joke!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by rhygin View Post
    I have tried to cut a cool screen shot from the T3 360... but cannot see to do it. Is there a program that I should try and use to "pull" a screen shot from a video clip. The video clip should be good!

We don't want no stinkin' screen shots, we want the video!!!!

Actually, I need to see it to figure out how the hell Dick did it!! We were wrapped up in watching Joe's battle, that by time i looked, Dick was stopped dead, pointing in the right direction. But this was about 3/4 into the braking zone, in a straight line and not after the apex like the usual spins in 6.

Of course, that same race we saw a well known red car come up over the dunes in the area between 9 and 3. Very, VERY interesting.....and entertaining!!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Default Crazy Joe

Hmmmm?? Might have to steal Joe D from Kakashi for my stable......

Way to go buddy !!!
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by philstireservice View Post
    Hmmmm?? Might have to steal Joe D from Kakashi for my stable...
    Hmmm, how much am I going to have to pay? Call me, we can negotiate...

Oh, and another interesting tidbit from NHMS*: The South Chicane is "out", as far as SCCA club racing goes. The NER road race committee (I believe it is) has decided that the configuration is too dangerous, primarily (as I understand it) due to the limited sight lines having been a significant factor in recent track incidents. I'm sure official announcements will be forthcoming, but for the foreseeable future, no more South Chicane.

*The track is ADAMANT about the new name, New Hampshire Motor Speedway. If you accidentally write a check to "NHIS" expect it to be handed back to you, with a stern request for "NHMS" to be the payee...
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 04-14-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Typo

Rhygin, I would really like a copy of that video.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Oh, and another interesting tidbit from NHMS*: The South Chicane is "out", as far as SCCA club racing goes. The NER road race committee (I believe it is) has decided that the configuration is too dangerous, primarily (as I understand it) due to the limited site lines having been a significant factor in recent track incidents. I'm sure official announcements will be forthcoming, but for the foreseeable future, no more South Chicane.

*The track is ADAMANT about the new name, New Hampshire Motor Speedway. If you accidentally write a check to "NHIS" expect it to be handed back to you, with a stern request for "NHMS" to be the payee...
    After further talks with Surge this weekend, I believe he has found a safe place to have a station that would allow a nice view of a yellow should there be something amiss in 2A.

I hope they go back and revisit their decision.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

Jake, he's done that before, run ITA; in fact, he was on pole with that Spec Miata at Watkins Glen last year when I was there. Like I told Andy, those Spec Miatas make damn fine ITA cars...give them real shocks, less weight, open exhausts, internal engine mods - call it 25-30 more horsepower - open diff and such and that thing might actually be able to eventually even place top-3...
    Just to correct some facts...my ITA car makes about 15 more whp than the car Steve was driving - if you believe the Jet numbers people claim from Rebello's SM program..and given the cars performance at the Glen that weekend, I just might. The ITA weight is MORE than the SM weight for those cars.

I am pretty sure they can crack the top 3...

I would peg a National SM at about 85% prep in IT. Shock valving tweaks, raise the spring rates (although some fast drivers don't), ECU (nice gains), a header (tiny gains).

Oh ya, Steve was on Toyo's...maybe that's why he couldn't keep it straight on the warm-up lap!

Fun race - no doubt.
    Andy Bettencourt

Can I assume that Fred White was OCIC in ITC? My car is still in need of some major attention and with 70 hrs/week at my real job, this old guy just doesn't have a lot of extra steam.

Steph was supposed to run, but then the baby was due to arrive on Sunday, so that was out. She wanted me to take her car and run, but I really felt that my place was by her side.

Planning on Pocono
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Fred was there representing you guys! He ran all weekend at the school and I may have even seen him at the test day. He must be tired!
    Andy Bettencourt

Freddy is the friggin energizer bunny. He took only one on track session off during the school and made every critique with no crew. The new car seems pretty tight.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

No Hankook test as the tires are not available yet.
    Is it bad that I laughed at that?

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com