Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memphis May Double It Tour

Gary, I think they usually get a lot of late entries. Glad you are coming, it is a track that can be learned pretty quick, and the peole in Memphis are some of the best in SCCA.
    See ya there.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

"Last Call" ....

I attended this event last year as a volunteer. MidSouth puts on a good event, and the Memphis BBQ is wonderful.

Remember - two IT Tour points paying events, only one tow! On-line registration open until 11:59 PM CDT on Tuesday, May 20th.

Kelley Huxtable
    DMVR
    "PLAY SAFE"
    (disclaimer: I'm not involved in the event in any way, just trying to help out a fellow MiDiv region.)

Thanks for your support Kelley. I also want to add that there will be a "Town Hall meeting" with Lisa Noble the Area 6 director and also the executive steward for the Midiv, Norm Flowd. See below:

"On Sunday, May 25, 2008, Area Director 6 Lisa Noble and Executive Steward Norm Floyd will meet and talk with anyone and everyone who wants to talk about the SCCA! If you have ever thought your opinion doesn’t matter or you don’t have a voice in what the SCCA does, here is your chance!"

Also, check out the weather for this weekend. Only a 30% chance of rain Friday and very good the rest of the weekend:http://www.wunderground.com/US/TN/Memphis.html
    Phil Harris
    MidSouth Region
    Memphis, TN
    1991 Mazda Miata

auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports...all others are games.
    -ernest hemingway-

I have e-mailed DLB about the absence of the event info. It was there at one time.

Also, there was supposed to be an entry form for the test day but that was omitted. Here is a link to it:
    http://www.midsouthscca.com/index.ph...=getit&lid=114

Please have it filled out w/ you Fri. a.m. It would be helpful if we knew in advance who is doing it. I am.
    Bill Denton
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

I cannot find a schedule of events on the MidSouth Web Site. What are the run groups and the schedule for same?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Go to the "Downloads" section Festus. Every form is there.
    Phil Harris
    MidSouth Region
    Memphis, TN
    1991 Mazda Miata

auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports...all others are games.
    -ernest hemingway-

Default results from IT Tour race 1 posted

Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

BIG THANK YOU to the whole Memphis Gang. It was a blast or should I say a BANG. (If I came away having had fun everybody should have.) As usual there were big laughs and lots of fun had by all. Once again I showed myself that although this is a serious business to some, it is just a hobby to me. Turning some fast laps was the worst thing I could have done. A person has to know his limitations, I and went a ....leetle to far past mine. I think Grants Tomb has an IPRESS Wall now. But other then that it was fun runing in the wet / dry on Saturday. I have never seen anywhere that is crazier then the MMP front straight in the wet. That drag strip part to the flag stand is like Lake Michigan iced over! I knew things were tough when the announcer said we could use pit lane "at a slow speed". After a few laps I was looking for puddles to cool down the Hoosier wets. It went well and no one got banged up which was a minor miracle. Sunday Q session I turned a fast lap out of the box and went all Kyle Busch on myself. (How else can you explain taking your ownself out?)
    Well live and learn... again! See you MidDiv guys later in the summer. I am headed up "Nath" in a few weeks for the 12 HR at SP.
    Mac Spikes

I second Mac's comments. Wonderful event, as always. The hospitality is great and the workers are the best! Thanks to all.

The Saturday race was interesting, to say the least. You know its slippery when people spin on the pace lap. I ran Hoosier dirt stockers (only wet tires I had), but that was probably the wrong choice given how quickly the track was drying. They were used up by the end of the race. Sunday was a lot of fun, even though there were no other ITC cars running (Curt, what happened to you Sunday?). I had a pucker moment when the black BMW got sideways right in front of me coming out of the 90's, but no contact.

All in all, a great weekend. I wish the ITC fields were a little larger, but I may have to face the inevitable and move up a class or two.

Craig,
    Come on to "A", Hondas are always strong when I have run with them. We have a good group and seem to be gaining on SM crossovers. That start on Saturday and the first couple of laps was crazy.
    Mac Spikes

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    Craig,
    Come on to "A", Hondas are always strong when I have run with them. We have a good group and seem to be gaining on SM crossovers. That start on Saturday and the first couple of laps was crazy.
    Yeah, I'll probably move to A at some point, either in another Honda, or maybe I'll switch to the dark side and build the stock '91 Miata that's sitting in my driveway. I guess if the VIN rule gets changed I could convert my current ITC car to "Si" specs and run in ITB.

Mac did a great job.....I saw that wall jump in front of you! As I went by, I told it "Bad Wall, Bad Wall...don't do that again" !!!! I learned I had the wrong tires on Saturday....and not enough talent on Sunday to catch Renny Bobby. Thanks to all the workers!
    1992 Mazda Miata #83 ITA/SM
    Eating Red Meat isn't bad for you...eating green, fuzzy meat is bad for you!

Great seeing and meeting all you guys, and thanks (especially to Ed M) for the tips on the new (to me) track.

For the masochistic, here's a video of the first couple of laps of the Saturday IT race, to include my 25 second, 390 CW to 100 CCW to 270 CW to 50 CCW to 210 CW (net 720 CW) manuever at the end of lap two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os-FNklPihk
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Gary, that was one wild ride! Just when you looked like you were done, it was time for another loop!
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Gary, that was impressive. How fast did you go through there the next time?
    Steve
    #53 ITA Neon ACR
    Plan "B" Racing
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Springs

Actually, I drove through the "ice" on the next lap at about the same speed, and on about the same line, but with the steering wheel straight and NO acceleration! On the master video, I can see the tach very clearly, allowing me to calculate the speed when the spin started... we were whizzing along at all of 45 mph!

Damned shame really, as Albin was on wets and ended up significantly slower than us for the last half of the race. Without the spin, I would almost certainly have caught him before the checkers... at least I would have kept him honest!
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael