Thread: Need help! can't get lock cylinder out to remove steering lock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm not sure how different the Civic ingition switch assembly is compared to a Miata, but in the Miata a single screw (or maybe two, can't remember) holds the cylinder to the actual switch part. What I did in my car is to take the whole thing off the car...from looking at online diagrams, it looks like a simple job in the Civic, and that maybe a single recessed screw from the back allows removal of the cylinder. Looks like a bracket with two screws holds the whole thing to the column. I'd remove that, disconnect the switch, then you can Dremel or chisel your way in to remove the pin.

I know people that have: removed the spring and RTV'ed the pin in place, removed the spring and screwed the pin in place, and opened the whole thing up and removed the pin completely. I opted for removing the whole thing. I just took a cold chisel to the cover and took the little block/"pin" out.

If I were you I would not drive around (let alone race) unless you secure the pin, or even better, remove it.

That's my opinion.

Regarding an alternate way to turn on the car, I think for some people it IS a safety issue, either because it's hard to restart the car if it dies, or because they will turn it off accidentally with their knee (seen it happen).

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioGG View Post
    Regarding an alternate way to turn on the car, I think for some people it IS a safety issue, either because it's hard to restart the car if it dies, or because they will turn it off accidentally with their knee (seen it happen).
    Done it - in my first race ever. I've now got a toggle switch on the console.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)