Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help! can't get lock cylinder out to remove steering lock

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    Don't remove, just add to. I had a problem that if I stalled the car I could not reach the key to restart. Just turn the key to the on position, leave it there and then add a start button. That and I don't think you can "remove" the switch. :cool:

I don't remember the specifics to removing the lock itself, but there is a button looking screw that hold the lock to the column. We took a wiz wheel to it and put a groove in it. The groove then held a flat head screw driver very nicely. We then removed the screw, disabled the lock, and screwed it back in place.

HTH. It's been 6 years since I've done it and the new car got the old column that I already had set up.
    You don't remember cause I did it for you

I wish I could see the lock.. I would remember how to do it if I had the lock in my hands, but it's hard to describe as spnkzss was the last one I did that to..

If memory serves, the lock pin is pushed up by the spring that you appear to have already removed. The "button" people spoke of was what held the spring and the pin captive. From the gray edges of my memory, you can just pop the entire button off and the spring and pin will fall out. It serves no other purpose if I remember correctly.

I did spnkzss differently. I took the cylinder assy off and removed the internal parts of the lock, then reinstalled the assy using standard bolts. After that, I discovered the "remove the plug (button)" method would accomplish the same thing.

On edit: If you insert the ign key into the lock and turn it one click, there is pin that is located near the base of the silver cover that can be depressed to remove the lock cylinder from the housing. (it's coming back). If you like, you can remove the enter ign lock assy quite easily. There are 2 screws that hold the lock onto the column. They have sheer bolts which means they don't look like bolts right now.

Look for 2 domes about 10mm round with a rough portion in the middle that makes it look kind of like a bullseye. They are accessible from the underside of the steering column. Once located, you need to either cut a groove in them so you can remove them with a screw driver, or you can use a sharp punch and hammer to peen them on the edge. Just a few taps at a slight angle will usually loosen them, they aren't very tight.

I hope I am making sense.
    Last edited by EV; 04-28-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ddewhurst View Post
    Just to flame the legal/illegal steering lock fire a bit. I'll throw out some facts. Oh, oh look out here comes the sleeping giant off the couch.

With my 1985 1st gen RX-7 Spec-7/ITA & with my 1990 Spec Miata with a drill press I REMOVED the steering lock lug from the ignition switch. As of this date if the rule has not been changed via a Fastrack the rule specifies that the steering lock SHALL be REMOVED. Not defeated.

If people don't follow the simple easy rules it sure allows people to wonder what other rules they don't follow.
    As an FYI there is a new rule change to the steering lock coming to a GCR near you

Effective 11/1/08, change section 9.3.41 to read as follows:
    Steering wheel lock devices shall be removed or disabled (except Showroom Stock and
    Touring).

Enjoy,
    Bill

This is from memory on my 88 crx. As I recall, there are two security bolts holding the entire lock mechanism to the column. A security bolt is one where when you install it, the head breaks off, leaving a flat surface making it hard to remove. They are visable from the top of the column.

What I did was used my dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut a screw driver slot in the top of each bolt. Then I turned them out with a screwdriver and pulled the assembly off. Once off, I used an angle grinder (or a dremel with same cutoff wheel) to grind down the pin so that it was flush. I then reasembled the lock mechanism. It worked for 2 CRX's that I had.

If the spring is removed and the key is not removed the pin can not go in to lock the wheel. This is another rule that is out of date. Try removing the lock on a 99 Mustang, after removing the entire column and disassembling the column you remove the lock and then reassemble the column. The one we did was a tilt type, in my opinion this was potentially more dangerous than racing with the lock. Has anyone ever heard of someone crashing on the street because the column locked up? The rule should be you can run as is unless you have an aftermarket switch installed, then you must disble the lock.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by arpenn View Post
    Well last night I removed the whole disk but I couldn't get the pin to come out. The disk was a real pain in the azz, but I got it off. I thought the pin would just slide out but it didn't. Anyone else try this on a honda?
    There is a hole on one side of the cylinder that releases the key drum so you can slide the pin out. It took me a few min to figure out that is what that random hole does. The hole is visible above the number 9 in this photo.
    Hope that helps.
    Take it off the column and play with it. It is quite obvious when you get to that point.
    Carver
    Last edited by CCARVER; 05-14-2008 at 08:10 AM.

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

We have tried to release the lock cylinder, but could not get it to come out. I have the factory service manual and I followed the procedure in there, but it would not come out. When we pull the dash out to redo part of the cage I will take the column out and take it apart then.
    "Success in life is not in knowing the right answers. It's in knowing how to ask the right questions." - Author Unknown

1990 Honda Civic Si ITA (eventually)
    Hallett COMMA Series PA Class