Thread: Rear Z Drums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    You'll never get the drum off again if you do that.
    Sure you will, just call the "Jeff Young Literary Society and Brake Center" and they will help you "Jeff it up" and remove that bonded drum. He and Ron are highly experienced in drum removal!

I have been adjusting mine like I did on my street Z, when the drum/pad are touching and I feel resistance I then back the star wheel off 1/3 to 1/2 turn. Drive the car down the street, test the brakes, and then do it again. Of course I failed to adjust mine between qualifying and race at CMP and about 6 laps into the race my pedal was all "jeffed up."
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I have had pretty good luck adjusting until I get a little drag when turning the drum. The thing that you are missing on the front brake bias deal is that you will then push down harder on the pedal. Once you reach the same pressure to the fronts you had before, the pressure to the rears is higher. As the apex comes screaming at you, pushing down harder becomes increasingly easier, and more natural. This is all theory, you won't find this on my car. One thought though, some pads have higher and lower friction coefficients than others. If you have a really grippy front pad, you will lock the fronts before the rears are doing a lot. If you get a less grippy pad, then you will need to back off the rears.

I like the Hawk blues in front and carbotek celated in the rear. I like the Carbotek pads better, but the friction is too high and it messed up my rear braking, like I go fast enough to worry about that!

Mike

Hey Mike,

I ended up putting some Carbotechs on the rear and love them, with the Carbotechs on the fronts I was used to. Braking got much "flatter" since the rears are finally doing some work. Quite pleased with them for sure.

You coming to the Monster Memorial?

Ron

No, unfortunately my nephew was inconsiderate enough to graduate from high school on a race weekend. I am going to have to have a talk with that boy! I will be in the Greater Cleveland Metro Area this weekend doing the family thing. Weather is great, wish I was there!

Mike