Thread: Shelby Charger

Default Shelby Charger

I have a Dodge Charger that I have been racing in ITB. I also have a wrecked 83 Shelby Charger. Can I change the vin numbers and race as a Shelby? I understand I would have to change the brakes and the wheels.

Dan
    99 ITB Charger

The short answer is no, you can't swap VIN tags. However, wait a bit and it looks like the VIN tag requirement is about to go away, so it won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
    I have a Dodge Charger that I have been racing in ITB. I also have a wrecked 83 Shelby Charger. Can I change the vin numbers and race as a Shelby? I understand I would have to change the brakes and the wheels.

Dan
    99 ITB Charger
    As Bill said, you cannot change VIN's at this time - but be patient.

In addition to the brakes and wheels (just try to find decent 15x6 wheels!!!!!) the Shelby Dodges had the block decked (IIRR .020), resulting in a boost in compression from 9.0 to 1 up to 9.5 to 1. With the half point IT allowance, that means you could go up to 10 to 1.

What part of the country do you call home?
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Don't forget the cam differences, and the slightly wider rear axle...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    Tire Shaver at TreadZone- www.treadzone.com
    #96 Dodge Shelby Charger ITB- Mine, mine, all mine!
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

And therein lay the challenges of the allowances made possible when (if) the VIN rule is abolished. The resulting car's GOT to adhere to all of the specifications of the make/model/year described on the ITCS spec line under which it's being raced.

K

I agree with what Kirk is saying, but..... Not that a wider rear axle makes any actual performance differnce in IT rules. You can make the track anything you wish as long as it fits under the fenders.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Neither "performance difference" nor the ability to change the track with wheel spacers allows the different axle. Same is the same.

For those of you who think you might want to take advantage of the revised VIN rule, PLEASE make sure you don't live up to the naysayers' expectations of using it to make illegal cars. We fought for a long time to get this done (I wrote my first of two letters in December '06) for someone to dink it up.

Ultimately it IS about enforcement so you can run any damned illegal thing you want until one of your competitors squawks, but please help us keep this from becoming an issue even before it's approved by the Board.

K

Kirk I agree with you on all points. That was more of a note to ShelbyRacer, that besides the fact that it would not be legal to run that axle, it also would not be a benefit to cheat in that manner - since you can acheive the same goal legaly.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Chris: While it would not be legal to run the Shelby Charger rear axle in a Dodge Charger, it would be legal if Dan ran the car as a Shelby (after the VIN rule goes away). I am not sure, however, that there will be any advantage to taking a Dodge Charger and saying that it is a Shelby Charger. Shelby Racer would know more about this than I do, but the same modifications that would make either car faster are available to both - suspension, alternate carb, etc. And the Dodge Charger is 110lbs lighter. Matt, any advantage to the smaller wheels, or do you run 15's? Only way to find out if your Dodge Charger is faster than my Shelby Charger is for you to make it to the IT Fest. (Your car is probably 1000% more developed than mine!!!!)

K. Your comment about the 'challanges of the allowances made possible' is spot on, and my only reservation to supporting the proposed 'VIN' rule change.
    92 ITA Saturn

You guys sure about that rear axle being physically different? I don't recall there being any differences on my old SSB/ITA car...

I also find it hard to imagine the Dodge factory providing a completely unique rear axle in production for these cars...

Supposedly, the Shelby rear axle is 2-3 mm wider. Otherwise, the same. I can look it up in my parts book when I get home.
    Last edited by RacerBill; 04-29-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: addl test
    92 ITA Saturn

Yes, the rear axle is different for the shelby charger. It is a minor width increase which I want to say is 10mm which coincides with the increase in tire width (stock size 195 to 205).
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Chrysler parts book, 1984, Group 17 - Springs - items that are different for Shelby
    Coil-spring, rear
    Shock Absorber
    Control arm & C/Member, Rear Suspension Lower,
    Bumper, Jounce

All list exclusive Shelby part numbers
    92 ITA Saturn

I was merely pointing out yet another small difference, not debating the legality or otherwise.

I for one am glad to see the VIN rule go.

Oh, and Bill, the only Charger that I race any more belongs to Matt Rowe. I'd like to think we did a pretty good job developing the car, but everything is relative. Besides, he did the hard part of the development (prepping the car, driving it well, paying for all the parts, etc.). All I did was go to the track and say we should change this, this, and that... Sometimes it even worked!

The Shelby Charger I used to race would not be legal in any IT class, other than maybe ITE.
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??
    I was around when they actually improved Improved Touring! (and now I'm trying not to mess it up!)

Matt: Sorry if you thought I was arguing with you. Didn't mean to. Our bantering about seems to have scared Dan off. Dan, are you still there? We can't afford to drive away any Chrysler racers!!!
    92 ITA Saturn

Bill- not at all, I was just reposnding to several posts at once.

It's all good

I do hope that Dan didn't get discouraged with our thread sidetracking...
    Matt Green

ITAC Member- 2012-??