Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ITR Z3 rebuild thread

I've got the motor most of the way apart. Interesting fact about the oil pan is it's a double wall casting with dual sumps, same as on the S-54. If it were a lesser pump, all the internal parts would be avalible seperatly. But since it's a motorsports unit it's only avalible as a single $600 part.

I suspect that the oil relief has been causing low oil pressure issues. Here are more pictures of the damage:

The crack in the front sump area, note the built in windage tray and dual wall casting.

Close up of the rear sump, notice the pieces.

Note the rip in the back of the sump.

To fix it I'm thinking of bending up some 3/16" aluminum plate and building a new bottom end for the sump. Maybe even mill in some fins into the plate.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Since video has been added. Here's the last couple of laps before all the carnage:
    http://www.myscca.com/includes/flvpl...autostart=true

I'll never forget that fateful moment I looked down and decided to up shift to 5th

James
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 08-03-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Here's what I was thinking would be my inspiration for the rebuild paint scheme:

Would the shark mouth be to over the top on the shark car? What do you think?

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Dude, it's a race car. DO IT.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Dude, it's a race car. DO IT.
    Yeah, if I can't do it on a race car, where can it be done?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I just pulled the tape and bolted it up to see how it'd look. What do you think??

STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Before, it was a cute hello-how-are-ya sort of car. That looks a lot more menacing, like you mean business!
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Hey Josh,

I was also thinking about putting something like, "Have a nice day CHUM!" on the back. You know for a little more shark reference. Maybe I can get an aviation museum to sponsor me.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Here's a new update.... I finished spraying the door, finders, top and hood. Here's how it looks from about 10 feet:

I've still got to weld the apron cover on the windshield frame and fill and paint the low spots. The motors out at the local machine shop for a valve job and a hone. I'm going to ring and bearing it. Looks like the rods, mains, and bore were all stock and will stay that way for now.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Niiice!

Just make sure the rest of the car matches the outstanding front and does not fall down.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by rthiele View Post
    Niiice!

Just make sure the rest of the car matches the outstanding front and does not fall down.
    Thanks Rob,

I'm in the middle of removing the old decals and preparing for some new. It should look sharp.

I just got the welded pan back, and it was really badly damaged. But my welder fixed it and it's back:

STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

nice i really like the bumper looks real mean can wait to see when everything matchs

Thanks,

I've still got to get replacement stickers for BMW Club Racing, then I can remove the stickers on the passengers side. I still have to paint the repaired windshield frame and get a new front windshield, and touch a couple of spots. The motor's in the shop, when I get a stock flywheel it'll get a rebalance, and I'll have a stock intake manifold to install too.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Sweet! But where is your Jaffster knob?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve @ TeamDI.com View Post
    Sweet! But where is your Jaffster knob?
    Teh Jaffster has spoken, I must obey

I was sharing knobs with my street Z3, but settled on a knob from Bav-Auto. It glows red in anger

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I know it's been a while since I posted any progress. The motor should be ready for me to pick up from the machine shop soon. I'm still chasing a couple of leaks in the pan, but I know where they're at and will have that fixed soon. While I'm waiting on the motor I decided to try bolting up the radiator core support and headlights to see how they fit togeather:

Since I just bent the old core back out, and bolted it on it appears to fit. I also have the windshield frame painted to match. Since I removed the rear bumper I could re-install the 30lbs of weight the factory bolts under the bumpers.

My next step will be to buy a spare tire and carrier and reinstall back in the stock location. That should be good for at least 10lbs right under the trunk on the passengers side. I'll need all the pork I can get on it to go from 2575lbs to 2850lbs.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Since I removed the rear bumper I could re-install the 30lbs of weight the factory bolts under the bumpers.

Wow....and people made (lots of) fun of GM when they did the same thing to the Camaro convertible in '67. Except those were liquid filled with an internal mass on a spring.. The earned the term "Cocktail shakers". Higher tech than BMW! And 40 years earlier, LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/-1969...31410009r28098
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

One of the many things that make the coupe better! I threw out my spare tire carrier, James, too bad.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Josh, I'd rather have the 30lbs in the back bumper than in the roof and rear window glass.

That said, as a race car the biggest advantage of the coupe is your aero. The chassis ridgidity advantage is made negelable by the cage. The vorticies and turbulance on the bubble like hard top really make the roady trickier to drive in the faster corners. Even in a class like STU, your wing gets to be above roof level and mine has to stay 3" under it.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

It's been a while since I updated this tread.

After a year at a local machine shop I have the block back, but finding rings to fit the CP pistons was a real chore. I finally had the pleasure of dealing with Chris at VAC motorsports, who was very helpful with the torque plate, but ultimately I had to order from Total Seal. The head is still at the machine shop, but due back soon. We ran into having some lifters that aren't fully extending.

I'm also thinking about pumbing a cool shirt and also running chilled water through my heater core for a cool air source. I've also replaced the front control arms and tie rod ends, but still need to find a high pressure power steering hose. Expiration dates are comming up on the fire bottle, have to have the belts re-webbed, and new window net, along with the seat's date passing. So there's a lot to do before I get to drive again.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter