Thread: ITR Z3 rebuild thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's alive!!!

Looks like this weekend I'll finally be

Well maybe not. I guess it was too much to hope that the radiator had survived intact. It's got a little weaper in one of the tubes. I'll probably just go with an OE replacement ~$200.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 01-19-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I was going to go to a test and tune day last week, but then the weather intervened. I didn't feel like getting stuck on the wrong side of the mountain for a couple of days for the pass to clear, also driving in the rain has a lack of appeal. So, I've gone over the car once more, stringed the toe, and made a gauge to measure and adjust camber. I also gave the trailer a once over. This Saturday there's another test and tune day forcast high is 67* and 0% chance of rain, low in the pass is 34* so I'll have to keep an eye out for black ice on the drive. Can't wait to get back out there and put some break-in miles on the motor.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Has a successfu, but long, day yesterday. I left the house at 4 dark 30, and made it to Buttonwillow 3 hours later. The run groups were alternated between open wheel and closed wheel, and closed wheel was up for the first run, but before the track was opened we were allowed to take "Sedan Laps" because of fog. I took the last sedan lap.

With everything seeming to be going well, I got in line for the first run group. My main objective for the day was to just run some break in laps and get the oil warm. So during the first couple of sessions I kept the motor below 5000 rpm. After the first session, as I was driving in I was hearing a cricket like sound, which I found to be comming from the body. Once I opneed the hood I found a little oil leak, with a little drip hanging off a banjo bolt, I found the source, tightened it up, and cleaned the leaked oil up with a little simple green.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Congrats James!
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Miller View Post
    Congrats James!
    Thanks Marcus:026:

Here's a little vid

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvVAbEg9rY[/ame]
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 02-15-2010 at 05:10 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Since my first race is this weekend at Willow Springs, I spent last Sunday with Speed Ventures doing one of their track days. Here's some video from my third session:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KNkXo2pFF8[/ame]

I know that my laps times were good, for a fast ITB car

I'll need to shave off about 15seconds if I plan to stay ahead of Naji in ITA.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

This is some video for my qualifying session. I move the bullet camera, zip-tied it to the wink mirror actually, and get a better exposure. Note the ITE Vette that catches fire at the apex of turn #7.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUqPvOFFYVs[/ame]

I'll post video from the race later....

Well it's later and here it is:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDLkalACITQ[/ame]
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 03-05-2010 at 02:34 AM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter