Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plain Old Gas ( POG )

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    TR8 runs on nuclear power. Things that make you go boom, boom, things that make you go boom, boom.

P.S. I am a Plain Old Gasser, who usually gets beat by Mr. Parrish although I now know his secret. I'm switching up his fuel jugs with mine before the next race.
    Careful!!!!! My Plutonium 239 and your Uranium 235 are not compatible!

Do I really have to repost the GCR fuel rules???
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

I've been pushing for Plain Old Uranium for years but no one seems to listen.....

Steve, get yo'sef down to Roebling. 11 S cars already, and a real fun track. I've never seen you there......and you have a potential SIC winning car so you need to get some Roebling seat time my friend.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

First, I support and use 'Plain Old STREET Gas'.
    Second, HOW DID A CLASS OF CARS, BASED ON SHOWROOM STOCK, GET TO THE POINT THAT SOME 'LEGAL' ENGINES ARE REQUIRED TO RUN 100+ RACING FUEL??
    Am I missing the point of an entry-level, low-budget class? We can run 'built' engines with expensive after-market ECM's and fancy coil-overs that are $1000.00 per corner. But are ILLEGAL if we remove the heater-core or washer-bottle. HOW DID THIS CLASS GET THIS POINT????

I think that ALL IT's should run POG that you can get at 7-11, Citgo, Shell, etc.....
    And if your engine won't/can't run on it, then move to Prodution where that engine belongs.

Sorry if I offened anyone, but there are plenty of us that are on a very limited buget.
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

The reason the SM's pick up some power with the 'right' formulated stuff is that it helps lean out the mixture. They are notoriously rich at high RPM/WOT. They don't run crazy timing advance and half of them have stock intakes and restrictor plates so crazy high octane isn't a big factor.

The 13B RX-7's can run the 87 (we do) but the smelliest cars I have seen are the 12A carbed cars.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Oh, boy, here we go...

Passing tech does not equal "legal". Unenforceable does not equal "legal".

Oh, I know, I just like sitrring the pot. :026:

I might argue unenforceable is legal though...

To add onto Andy's post.. yiou can't change Fuel/Air on the 1.8 liter Spec Miata's, so oxygenating the fuel *really* helps those cars run.

Marcus
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Quote Originally Posted by splats View Post
    Second, HOW DID A CLASS OF CARS, BASED ON SHOWROOM STOCK, GET TO THE POINT THAT SOME 'LEGAL' ENGINES ARE REQUIRED TO RUN 100+ RACING FUEL??
    Am I missing the point of an entry-level, low-budget class? We can run 'built' engines with expensive after-market ECM's and fancy coil-overs that are $1000.00 per corner. But are ILLEGAL if we remove the heater-core or washer-bottle. HOW DID THIS CLASS GET THIS POINT????

I think that ALL IT's should run POG that you can get at 7-11, Citgo, Shell, etc.....
    And if your engine won't/can't run on it, then move to Prodution where that engine belongs.

Sorry if I offened anyone, but there are plenty of us that are on a very limited buget.
    Mine will run fine on 93 pump gas, but I would rather have the added piece of mind of the 100 that I buy from a Citgo station provides.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I don't have the GCR in front of me, however, I seem to remember that oxygenating fuels are expressly prohibited (nitro methane, propylene oxide, etc.) Rules nerds correct me if I am wrong. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Point by point...with ammendments

Second, HOW DID A CLASS OF CARS, BASED ON PRODUCTION BASED AUTOMOBILES

and..
    .....GET TO THE POINT THAT SOME 'LEGAL' ENGINES PREFER TO RUN 100+ RACING FUEL AFTER BUMPING THE COMPRESSION THE ALLOWABLE AMOUNT< WHICH IS NEARLY 12 to 1 in some cases??
    and...
    Am I missing the point of an entry-level, low-budget class? We can run 'built' (see above) engines with expensive after-market ECM's (which are, in most cases cheaper than the peviously needed alternatives)
    and...

But are ILLEGAL if we remove the heater-core or washer-bottle. HOW DID THIS CLASS GET THIS POINT
    Would it save you money to remove your heater core? It would cost me if I did, as I'd actually have to go spend time digging in the dash, when I could be spending time on something productive.....like aligning the car....AND I'd have lost tire contingency money when I won that rain race...the one I won because I could see through my windsheild, when others, mysteriously couldn't.

and...

And if your engine won't/can't run on it, then move to Prodution where that engine belongs
    Here's my take on this........
    You choose your car, based on your needs, which in this case, appear to have a budgetary factor. Choose a car that's reliable, so you're not replacing brake caliper seals every race like Jeff young, or one that doesn't require weird or custom or exotic running gear, like Greg Amy's NX 2000...or one that isn't 11.5 : 1 compression, like certain Acuras and Hondas, so that you don't feel like you need to run 'expensive' 100 octane for peace of mind......choose a car that is "reasonable' to run. Should the architects of the category ban all cars that have over, sys, 9.5:1 compression in an effort to save people money? Or only class common cars so parts are readily available? Or should we allow them to make intelligent choices?

Choose a car with leaf springs? Prepare to spend money on exotic dampers and other items to bring your car up to par with the rest of the class. Or torsion bars? Plan on hiring help ($) to do adjustments that take others 5 minutes. Love that car with the high compression ratio? Get ready to spend the money on fuels to ensure it doesn't go "boom" in a racing environment. Many of the changes you listed that you are not happy about have been made because it is actually cheaper to allow those changes in a racing environment than it is to remain "stock". Once a change is allowed however, (such as shocks), it is impossible to truly control costs. In the shock case, trust me, the two adjustment rule reigns in the truly expensive stuff.

Simply, we've chosen to race...and with that choice come costs. choose wisely, and you can contain those costs, to a degree, but you'll never control them unless you decide to run a "claimer" class. Look around, and tell me, what nationally sanctioned road racing category/class, with a pseudo "national championship", and mixed marques with hundreds of models to choose from is cheaper to run?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

In the immortal words of Pogo 'We have met the enemy......and he is US!!!!!'

In a very general sense, not aimed and any body at all!!!!
    Last edited by RacerBill; 04-08-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Addl clarification.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Either this is a strange April Fools prank, or I have fallen asleep and am dreeming of BiZaRo ImPrOvEd toUrInG dOt CoM....

$36/Gal race fuel and Greg Amy telling us we can run airplane fuel in our cars?!

Hopefully I can come out of this coma soon!
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I told you, plain old Uranium for me.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I appreciate all of the feedback I've received on this topic. Please know that I reviewed and considered each of your comments and decided that I would like to get the POG concept up and running in Improved Touring.

Is there an administrator or moderator that I can talk with about starting a new post/topic that could be "stickied" to the top where we can keep track of those interested in participating in the gentleman's agreement?

Once I get a thread started where we can keep track of the info, I will take requests for stickers. If time and budget allows, I'll have some awesome POG t-shirts to be handed out to POG class winners at ARRC. This will all be coming out of my pocket too (no corporate sponsorships from Texaco!)

Thanks for the support and for the opinions, but come on... no once has even called me an *** hole yet!
    Last edited by 77ITA; 04-09-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works

Quote Originally Posted by 77ITA View Post
    but come on... no once has even called me an *** hole yet!
    That's because no one has confused you with that other Jeff yet

If you start a new topic, one of the many moderators here can make it a sticky.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    The 13B RX-7's can run the 87 (we do) but the smelliest cars I have seen are the 12A carbed cars.
    Look, I take a shower everyday. However, the car has not had a good wash since they banned all outdoor water use in Georgia. So if my car is the smelliest it's not my fault. Either blame the politicians or Mother Nature or maybe try to be a little more understanding.

Now I'm embarrassed and will end up developing a complex about the whole thing. Thanks a lot.

Tom Sprecher

Marcus, et all....see GCR 9.3.25. Fuel "...Use of propylene oxide, ethylene oxide, paradioxane, and basic nitrogen or sulfur-bearing compounds (i.e. pyridine, aniline, pyrrole, dimethylsulfoxide, etc.) is prohibited."

Now, someone please explain how you can make more power without more air in an internal combustion engine. CHEAT...CHEAT:026: CHUCK..who will let anyone smell his gas anytime anywhere
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

This is a truly interesting conversation.

Jeff, you should not have let the secret out that your Triumph runs on U235, I thought that was a secret!

Jeef, you are not an ***hole, so why would anyone call you that.

Chuck, I would love to smell your gas :cool:

Now to my opinion, even though no one probably cares. I do not care if people want to run the exotic fuels, I do believe that in IT it is a waste of money because of the differences in cars.

Jude and I choose not to run the exotic fuels because we are cheap and new tires are more important; also, the track time that we could purchase for the price of these fuels would be better spent.
    Jennifer Rudder

PFM Racing

OOOOOOOOOOO....KINKI Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

A new thread has been started that will be the official POG site for info, news, and listing of participants. Please see https://improvedtouring.coms/showthread.php?t=23935 for all future discussion on the topic.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works