Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IT Rules Archive

Time to get the Capri back into "C"

Kirk, this is cool stuff!!!

One thing I noticed was that cars had to remain suitable for both normal road use and speed events.... We are a long way away from that now.

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Since cars had to be 3 years old, ITS RX-7s didn't race until '89 at the earliest...

The dual purpose aspect remained in place for quite awhile. I remember driving my car(And RX-7) in '93 from CT to New Hampshire and having to0 stop every 5 gallons, cuz the extra weight rubbed the tires too much, (where the "I thought those were crap when I welded them in" Ground Control panhard rod brackets ripped out making the car go all "railroad car" crabby,) and to Lime rock (where I won MONEY!!!!), and to Pocono, where I totalled it in my school, (but still got my lic) and to the Glen where I done blowed up the motor, (and rented a car to get home, then "borrowed" my bosses van the next weekend, and found out why you need trailer brakes on a crappy van when I ran thru the stop at the bottom of the hill leaving the Glen and drove over the funeral homes sidewalk..and I swear I never went over 30 the whole hill.)

Yup....dual purpose race cars. good idea!
    Last edited by lateapex911; 04-10-2008 at 12:42 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jake, Jake, Jake, lest ye forget! The 12A 1st Gen RX7 was originally an ITS car....

Kirk, back before the Zs got developed to the max, were the Z and the 1st Gen RX7 pretty evenily matched?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Oh, I remember, good point. I keep thinking 2nd gen when I think ITS. Kirk Weiss, (not so long ago ex-CRB grand poobah) once told me that the unofficial "method" that once existed for classing cars in IT was to "put 'em in ITS and see how they do"...

When I first landed in SCCA roadracing (after wasting too much time and money in autocrossing) the 1st gen was in, and had been, in ITA. That was 92-93.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Cool stuff for sure Kirk!

Anybody know when it went from 3 to 5 years? And when they opened it up from '70 to '68?

I went to my very first track event in '87 at Pocono (EMRA event) and was totally bitten. And spending $5k on a race car was soooooo much money! What's funny is, that same $5k buys you pretty much the same race car, today.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Jake, Jake, Jake, lest ye forget! The 12A 1st Gen RX7 was originally an ITS car....

Kirk, back before the Zs got developed to the max, were the Z and the 1st Gen RX7 pretty evenily matched?
    I first started going to SCCA races in 86 at CMS, Rockingham, Rd ATL, RR, and even then a RX7 couldn't keep up with a Z. The RX2/3 was the king in ITA. And I recall the 200SX and the Volvo were the cars to beat in ITB.
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

When the RX got moved to A (early 90s?), was it an overdog? I would think it would have been, at the time...interesting.

We still have a fast RX3 in ITA in the SEDiv....red one...shows up at Roebling every once in a while. As I understand it though, it's pretty much sidelined due to total inability to get rear brake parts. Crazy.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8