Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 14" Z Wheels - Panasports

Question Used 14" Z Wheels - Panasports

I'm looking for some more 14" Z wheels. I know a lot of guys have gone to 15s and am hoping maybe to get a set of homeless 14" pieces. My intention is to use these as rain wheels so it is not necessary to have a really nice set. However, I do want to avoid those hubcentric wheel nuts if I can, but I'll take what I can get/find/buy inexpensively. Shoot me a PM or email at [email protected] with whatever you have. Thanks!

Ron

Ron are you still using 12x1.25 wheel studs or is it changed to 1/2" or something?
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

If you get REAL desperate I have got some OEM Steelies
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

You don't race in the rain?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

We have two sets ron and we only plan on using one of them at most. I can email you pics if you like. They aren't showcar pretty but they are intact and decent. Don't know what they weigh, but they are alloy.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by x-ring View Post
    Ron are you still using 12x1.25 wheel studs or is it changed to 1/2" or something?
    OK, reason I asked is that these are cheap, and pretty easy to find, but require an OEM mag wheel lug nut. Jerry Hooten led me to a set years ago, and IIRC I gave maybe $150. A little die grinder work on the inside center and you are good to go. If your studs are 1/2" there is no commercial lug nut that will fit properly. They are a little heavy, probably 18lbs/wheel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-84...QQcmdZViewItem

That particular auction is a little high; notice no one has bid...

Here's what else I found. I had a set of these on a street car a few years back. The set I had used 'normal' shank mag wheel lug nuts. also kind of heavy, but at $260 for a new set of wheels...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-14-...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, some used sets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...QQcmdZViewItem

Ugly, but cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...QQcmdZViewItem

Also ugly, but even cheaper.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Ty, I have always liked the look of the Vector wheels, but those are a bit pricey for that condition and shipping. Thanks for putting those up though.

Chris, what do you have? Email me at [email protected].

As far as rain racing, well, I don't wanna but with the SE schedule as front loaded as it is in the Spring I don't know how to avoid it. While the weather patterns have been dry over the last three years, that shouldn't hold forever. I let the region keep my money for the rain race on Sunday I didn't run because I know they can use it, but I wouldn't mind giving a rain race a go with working wipers, rain tires, and a proper field - ITS, ITA, and IT7. I'd never try with with SRFs or SMs, that is insane.

Email sent. Is it really that bad racing in the rain? We haven't gotten that far yet, but my uncle's run his roadster in the rain several times without issue, and he can manage to spin on a dragstrip normally.
    Last edited by spawpoet; 04-03-2008 at 10:30 AM.

For a newbie, it is pretty ugly with a light rear end in a Z with a fair amount of torque. I ran in the rain in school on hard R-6's and it felt better than the Toyo's last weekend. On the out lap I almost went off coming out of 1 when i barely touched the go pedal. That was probably a good thing as it made me slow down a little more. As the track dried I realized I had a little more grip when I heard the Toyo's talking to me but it still felt terrible.

Maybe heavy rain would be different but I have had 3 sessions on a wet track and I have been tip toeing the whole time and that is with trying to soften the suspension as much as I could at the track.
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Quote Originally Posted by pballance View Post
    For a newbie, it is pretty ugly with a light rear end in a Z with a fair amount of torque. I ran in the rain in school on hard R-6's and it felt better than the Toyo's last weekend. On the out lap I almost went off coming out of 1 when i barely touched the go pedal. That was probably a good thing as it made me slow down a little more. As the track dried I realized I had a little more grip when I heard the Toyo's talking to me but it still felt terrible.

Maybe heavy rain would be different but I have had 3 sessions on a wet track and I have been tip toeing the whole time and that is with trying to soften the suspension as much as I could at the track.

I guess that makes sense. I wasn't really thinking about what it'd be like in a z. My wet driving experience is all solo1 and solo 2 in a me-otter , but I would have been comfortable in that car in any conditions. The squirrels I had under the hood didn't have too much torque. The z i a bit more touchy. Tim drove the z in a PDX on a drying track with old kuhmos and did fine, but it really wasn't all that wet. When I was in HS I used to drive my 260 in the snow, but that was so long ago I don't really remember what it was like except that some of the snow would come splashing up through the holes I had in the floorboard.

Never, ever, ever, drive your Z in the rain. It just makes them rust faster. Leave it under the tent, grab you a cola, lawnchair, and umbrella, and watch.

Besides, if you buy really nice rain tires and mount them on a really nice set of wheels, it will never rain again on your race.

I'm not kidding.
    katman

Amen bro. Steve Parrish and I have determined that the proper rain set up for relatively high torque, rwd, dinosaur ITS cars is on a set of 4 jackstands.

Of course, like you said, I have encouraged Ron to buy rain tires in order to keep the evil rain spirits away.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    Besides, if you buy really nice rain tires and mount them on a really nice set of wheels, it will never rain again on your race.
    I'm not kidding.
    Mine can't rust, the persistently leaky rear main seal rust proofs the chassis quite well.

If I buy a set of crappy wheels and semi-rotten rain tires will it be effective in keeping away the rain?

New Hoosier rains would be better.

I thought you had a set of dirt stockers in the trailer?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    Never, ever, ever, drive your Z in the rain. It just makes them rust faster. Leave it under the tent, grab you a cola, lawnchair, and umbrella, and watch.

I'm not kidding.

Z's rust??????? I thought those holes in the floorboard were put there by the engineers at Nissan Motor Corp. for manual braking assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Amen bro. Steve Parrish and I have determined that the proper rain set up for relatively high torque, rwd, dinosaur ITS cars is on a set of 4 jackstands.

Of course, like you said, I have encouraged Ron to buy rain tires in order to keep the evil rain spirits away.
    Now that I have been signed off, I will use this setup for rain races!
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I thought you had a set of dirt stockers in the trailer?
    I think those Dirt Stockers were said to be 10 years old when we bought the car three years ago. I don't know if I want to do 100mph on those things!!

However, we should have left them in the trailer. Maybe they would have warded off rain.

Ron, My uncle has some unused hoosiers rains from his EP roadster that are a couple years old, but not as old as yours. He was going to ebay them as he may not run anymore. Im not sure if they are IT legal, but will get back to you with what type hoosiers they are along w size if you are looking for a rain tire that isn't an RA-1.

chris

[quote=JeffYoung;263160] New Hoosier rains would be better.[quote]

For some reason my car loves the rain. And the new Hoosier rains ..... are the ticket.

Just call me "The Rain Man":cool:

.......LOL........

..... Rickey Thompson / NC Region Driver of the Year

Talking

[quote=Hotshoe;263335][quote=JeffYoung;263160] New Hoosier rains would be better.

For some reason my car loves the rain. And the new Hoosier rains ..... are the ticket.
    Dang. This rain theory must not be true.

Rickey has nice new Hoosier rain tires, yet, his owning them doesn't ward off the rain when I'm at the same track he is at.

So how's me spending $800 for a set of rain tires going to ward off the rain at the track?