Thread: Philosophical question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Philosophical question

What do people think about someone who advertises / sells a car as a 'legal' IT car and it turns out to be far from that? I know that the buyer should look the car over pretty well, and if they're not well versed in the particular make/model that they should find a 3rd party that is, but what should be done about someone that knowingly sells a car that has illegal parts? Should they be 'outed'?

Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
    .... knowingly sells a car that has illegal parts? Should they be 'outed'?

Discuss
    Representing a car as legal, when the seller has knowledge otherwise, and does not disclose such, is fraudulent. It's intentional deception, and depending on the level of severity should be outed. Missing washer bottler and claimed as a "legal" car? - Not a huge deal. Lightweight flywheel and ported heads? - Out them as a crook. If they used the [performance enhancing] parts during a race and were cheating, and another competitor knew, they would be outed, right?

The problem is the seller may not know the car has illegal parts and in fact truly does believe it to be legal. In that case, the seller has acted in good faith and made an honest mistake. The mistake should be politely pointed out to them so they can make the necessary changes either to the car, or description of item for sale.

Before they were "outed" it should be documented they know of the illegal parts, and the illegal parts should be clearly illegal. I've seen people called out on here with cars for sale, but in those cases the seller actually had listed the illegal part in the description, probably out of ignorance of the rules.

The buyer has the responsibility to make sure the car they bring to the race is legal and should not solely rely upon the sellers representations.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

If someone knowingly sells me a vehicle with illegal parts without disclosing said parts, everyone who will listen will hear about it from me - frequented forums included, but only after I have given them the opportunity to "make it right" and they have failed to do so.

As for the new owner's, this is a tough one. Although it is the competitors responsibility to know that what he has brought to the track is legal, it's unrealistic to expect him to do a full tear down on his newly acquired used race car.
    Eddie
    ex RX3 and GTI driver
    "Don't RallyCross what you can't afford to Road Race" - swiped from YH and twisted for me
    "I have heard that any landing you can walk away from is a 'good' landing. I bet this applies to flying airplanes as well." - E.J.

It triggers a good laugh, especially when some of the advertised parts and features are blatantly illegal.

Caveat Emptor...

And man, NOTHING pisses off a seller as when you question things like the phrase "Won division championship in ITS two years in a row," then later in the ad lists things like "Short shifter, lightened flywheel" and the picture shows a headlight cover that had a cold air/ram inlet in it's place. Man did I get some HATE mail on that post, complete with name calling and character assassination, LOL
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

A fellow competitor here bought a car several years ago that was represented as legal. He overheated it once, and when he pulled the head, found a cam so big the head was clearanced for the lobes.

Blatant, and dishonest. I would out them.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    And man, NOTHING pisses off a seller as when you question things like the phrase "Won division championship in ITS two years in a row," then later in the ad lists things like "Short shifter, lightened flywheel" and the picture shows a headlight cover that had a cold air/ram inlet in it's place. Man did I get some HATE mail on that post, complete with name calling and character assassination, LOL
    Does this mean short shifters are not allowed in ITA. The only thing I found concerning shifters was that you are allowed to bend the shifter above the floor. Nothing about replacing it?
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94