Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15 ITS Cars at CMP this weekend

Paul,

Congratulations on your weekend. Again, sorry I was unable to make it. It looks like you bested your best Qualifying lap by a second in the Saturday race. Great results! And escaped the weekend intact, as well. And that satisfies your Novice requirements, too, right? No more X on the bumper.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

Paul ran great. 54s at CMP first time out is damn good, just a second or two back from the bulk of the field (all of whom had experience there). Paul will be closer to the front very quickly looks like to me.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Thanks guys. I had a blast Saturday. I almost got to the point where I could drive the turn ahead in several parts of the track instead of "survival" mode of driving the turn in front of me. I would like to think that I could go a little faster if my brakes hadn't gone away on me. I was just using them up being new to the track. Oh well, it was great fun and CMP is now on my "A" list of tracks that I want to continue to drive.

Sunday was just a mess. I waffled back and forth all morning about loading or drving. I finally said to heck with it, put on the rains and went out. As the track dried I got a little quicker but being accustomed to the hoosiers the tread and sidewall movement had me freaked. I couldn't figure out if it was lack of grip on track or just tread/sidewall movement. When I started hearing the tires sound off in 14 I realized I had grip. By then the race was over.

The ITR BMW, KVS, and the T-2 350 were hooked up and screaming. It was actually fun to watch as they went by.

Bottom line was I had fun and I don't think I caused any drama. My goals were met!!
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pballance View Post

I puttered around with full tread depth toyos and the squirm was so bad I couldn't tell if there was grip or just tread squirm...even when they sounded off in 14

Botom line, I had a good time on track and meeting the ones of you that I had not already met. Saturday was GREAT and if I can ever learn CMP a little better I might even be close to you guys.

Paul
    Paul,

... I wish I would have had time to come over and introduce myself. I was sitting right across from you on the grid Sunday but was afraid to get out because of the time it takes to get strapped in with frozen hands ...lol
    ... You did a great job of driving and I really appreciated the point by / that's real heads up on your part, and goes a long way towards keeping things safe out on track, especially in the rain.
    ... Hopefully next time we will have a chance to meet.:cool:

... Rickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Hotshoe View Post
    Paul,

I was sitting right across from you on the grid Sunday but was afraid to get out because of the time it takes to get strapped in with frozen hands ...lol
    ... Rickey Thompson
    Thanks Rickey. I laughed out loud about the frozen hands. The coldest I got all weekend was sitting on Sundays grid and yeah my hands were frozen as well. I think I finally warmed up when we hit colombia on the tow home.

I tried real hard to keep awareness of where everybody was. I knew I was waaaay off the pace but didn't want screw up anybody elses race. You guys were screaming!
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post

Rain this a.m. and it didn't look like it was going to stop, so we packed up and headed back.
    Tch tch tch, went home because of a little water?? And you call yourself a British car racer??? :cool:

Paul, you made the 100% right call, stay and run. Get the laps in in all conditions. You have gotten some incredibly important experience under your belt. Lot's of racers get really good at braking at the same marker, turning in and tracking out at the same points and running the same laps at he same track, but fall to bits when they have to figure out a change..whether it's a sick car, a new track, or changing climatic conditions. You'll be a better driver if you allow yourself to experience variety.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I call myself a terrible rain racer in a high torque, short wheelbase car with windshield wipers and a defroster that don't work.....lol.....that's a recipe for disaster. Oh, and I don't have rain tires....

I've wrecked the car both times I took it out in the rain. Learned my lesson........
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Nice job Paul!

Good going Paul!

Like Jeff said, 1:54's your first time at CMP as a novice is excellent.

Tom

Did you guys run the new version of the course, or the old "autocross section"?
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

New -- you'll like it I think. It takes the herky jerkiness out of the old section, and is much easier on my brakes anyway. Lap times are about 4-5 seconds faster than before. My best on the "old" course was a 1:56, I was at 1:50 this weekend. KVS ran a 1:46 though........drat.

Is Red White and Blue back together?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

We ran the new configuration, just as we did for the Feb National/CCPS. It's much more fun to drive. I posted a video from the Feb CCPS. Here's the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0-zXTksNw
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Steve, thanks for the kind words this weekend. As you said the Z is a handful in the rain, I knew that and went out anyway so I could get signed off.

Thanks again to you all. Hopefully I can be a little more competetive next time out when I get some more seat time and suspension in place.

I pick up a complete rear end assembly today from an Ebay purchase $1.00 for a complete 1970 rear assembly! Control arms, brakes, stub axles, half shafts, diff, struts etc. Figured I couldnt go wrong for a buck plus the the guys is delivering!
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Quote Originally Posted by Parrish57 View Post
    We ran the new configuration, just as we did for the Feb National/CCPS. It's much more fun to drive. I posted a video from the Feb CCPS. Here's the link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y0-zXTksNw
    Steve,
    Thanks for the video posts. CMP has changed since I've been there. It looks like its quicker and more fun. That last turn before the front straight is still touchy. I kept hitting the rumple strips till my wink mirror fell off. No more "herky-jerky" looks much better. What's the track length now?

Tom

Yes, those rumble strips are still there.

I think track length is nearly identical. Just over 2 miles still. Just faster.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Hey Jeff,

The motor is being put back together now, and then off to body shop for some bondo and paint. I will have it out this year, but it most likely wont be before July. I pity the next fool who hits me! My wife will probably beat them to death!
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56