Thread: GIR March 29/30?

Default GIR March 29/30?

Anyone coming to GIR this weekend? Friday looks wet for the T&T, but the weekend's looking good so far!

We'll have the ITA Neon out there with all of it's new bits, so we're sure to be at the back of the pack having changed too many things at once!

Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

I'll be there even though none of my trolling did any good for ITS...

Maybe if some of the "new" guys get up to speed we'll have a good mid-season run...

Fingers crossed on the weather as well...
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

I am coming in Friday, but it looks like it is the same as October (Friday wash out and learn the track on the run). I am not sure what I am driving at this point. Having car delivery problems (I guess you can't get to STL from ATL.) May be driving a Saferacer car if mine can't get there.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

I'm driving down Friday night to crew for Chuck and the now FP car

Also planning to rebuild a motor for my dad's street car in our 'spare time'
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

The POS-7 with Trey and I will be there all three days. The weather looks like it will cooperate at least for Friday and Saturday. I'll let Trey run it in the wet on Sunday!

Hey Scott! Any chance I may get you guys to do a tire and temp check at some point on Friday if you are not too busy with the Neon?

I'm only there in the am on Fri, but I'll be there w/ tire probe & pressure guage!
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

The neon looks good bro !!! :cool:

thanks, amazing what a roller and vinyl can do.
    Steve
    #53 ITA Neon ACR
    Plan "B" Racing
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Springs

Great weekend despite the weather and loose parts on the track!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnma...7604322354553/
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Well we have pretty much seen it all from snow, rain, sweltering heat all in the March race at Gateway. This weekend was a mix as well.

A lot of "A" drivers out there this weekend, 9 on Saturday and 11 I think on Sunday, made things really fun. I dont think I have seen as many safety vehicles out there on the track during race condition since drivers school.

Thanks Mike and Doug for showing up and helping us with the alignment and camber settings. wish you could have been there Sunday, racing was even better, at least for me.

SPECIAL THANKS to Scott at Izzy's Custom Cages for helping out with more than I have space/time to write about while still working at my real job. You are going to love the work you did.

And just so everyone knows, I didnt hit the alternator in practice, but did manage to hit the what I assume was the alternator bracket. scared the bejezzes out of me. (another 1st). I had heard that someone lost a tire/rim on the alternator though.

And I need to appoligize to Mr. Albin and all the cars following him for Sunday's screw up in 3A on the last lap. Not so much as an excuse, but at least the reason it happened, was the shifter cable bushing broke on the transmission on the upshift from 4/5 on the front straightaway and I ended up going from 4/3 and thought I blew up the tranny. I pulled over to the inside so everyone could go by as I coasted in N for a bit and found that I still had 3 and 4 but no 5th (later found out on the cool down lap no 1st or 2nd). When I finally figured that all out that whole crowd caught me right in 3A. Trying to stay out of the way I ran right into the water hole and caused a big mess for everyone I am sure. Or at least increased their pucker factor a little bit.

Now that the 1st race of the season cobwebs are shaken off, heres hoping the next event goes smoother for the Plan "B" Racing Team.
    Steve
    #53 ITA Neon ACR
    Plan "B" Racing
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Springs

Steve it was fun even with all the weather changes. Having 10+ A cars was a bonus. Saturday was my "get back up onthe horse that throwed ya" day (as they say down here in Texas.) Last october was a disaster for me at best. Rain out of practice day.... followed by a trip to the Arch where one look at the tram car to the top kindled my "High / Claustraphobia" Anxiety (nope didn't go up or get in that little bowling ball tram car!) Next day got one good flyer lap out of two wet sessions while learning the track. (Bad deal as that lap made me think I knew the track.) Led the race for a few laps only to make a mistake that happens a lot in T5 & T6 ( I found out watching many cars this time) that caused an off and some suspension problems that would end a bad day in T2 tirewall.
    St. Louie is not a fun WET track, it is not really a fun first time there track. But going back and fighting off bad memories was a must. Everybody talks of the T1 / T2 wall as the pucker place, and yes it is, but T5a / T5b saw more offs this time by far. The more I have thought about it the more I think it is a "sucker" combo corner. You see it as a "Carousel" fast corner at first only to find out that the end is a dang "buttonhook". Lots of time you find out too late. I hope my next time there will be dryer and I can improve on that end as much as I did at 1&2 this time. The racers and the workers were great. The SAFERACER gang did a heck of a job getting me mated up with a new (to me) car that arrived on transport Friday. Derek "The Wrench" Gresham is SAFERACER'S lead guy with the tools and what a job he does. IT board regular Colin "The Flyin Kilt Wearer" Maclean built a dang good ITA car. It isn't maxed out, but it is pretty close to being up there with the real good ones ( Bowie & Andy cars). The new driver is a victim of LOFT as we say in the golf business. (Lack Of F%$#*^+ Talent) so it would take a real wheel man to do much better. But back to the race weekend..... Getting out of there with a win on Sunday was a good feeling and makes me look forward to coming back ....not because I need to, but because I want to. Oh yeah some big "OLD" guy laughed at me in the mud on Saturday as he won. Good smart driving you old Farmer.
    Last edited by IPRESS; 03-31-2008 at 09:07 PM.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

If I'm the farmer....why are you taking "Agricultural Expeditions"? I do my plowing with a tractor....John Deere, of course! I will have to admit there are marks on the same tire wall with my name on it. It sure is fun racing with you, and I'm glad you brought your family....It's good they take after your wife.
    1992 Mazda Miata #83 ITA/SM
    Eating Red Meat isn't bad for you...eating green, fuzzy meat is bad for you!

Opening lap of Sunday's race. the 944 and the Vette did just like we had predicted. the unknow was Pete coming from out of nowhere and sneaking in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAz3_vHfBU

Last 2 laps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHanza5VIic
    Steve
    #53 ITA Neon ACR
    Plan "B" Racing
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Springs