Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speed Channel !!!

Speedvision became Speed Channel... the predecessor was much better in terms of program for our interest. Unfortunatly, "the Channel" is located in the heart of NECKAR country, right here in Charlotte. So I doube they will ever blow up on the roundy round.

We just need to wait out the cycle. 60's, 70's and early 80's Indycar was the king, with NECKAR playing 2nd fiddle. they were probably dead even in terms of marketing and interest until CART decided to go public and Tony George blew the whole thing up. Give it time and maybe things will swing back towrds open wheel.

As for Road Racing on a national scale... I think what you saw last weekend is about as good as it will ever get. Remember, the only reason we have fond memories of Can AM, F5000, and F1 from our youth was ABC's Wide World of Sports would squeeze it in on their sunday show. To this day, I still have a memory of seeing the Chaparel Vacuum car racing on TV... didn't that get band after it's first or second race?
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I disagree with the comment on talent level in nascar. Since the only way to guage competiton is too see them together you have to look at the busch race in Quebec where Ron Fellows and other road racers put on a clinic.

Nascar seems to be losing popularity even the most simple minded fans get tired of the roundy round.

Speed channel is great, I agree less Nascar but as pointed out commercial sales dictate. But at least get rid of Unique whips whats up with that dog? That should be moved to 3am when the true fans are watching anyway.:eek:

FOX bought Speedvision and moved it to Charlotte specifically to be closer to Nascar. It also gives Fox the ability to cross-promote the brands. At it's inception even Speedvision showed content other than sports car racing/racing/auto related programming. Originally they also had programming on boats/boating and flying/planes as well. So pick your poison. At least Nascar is racing.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    FOX bought Speedvision and moved it to Charlotte specifically to be closer to Nascar. It also gives Fox the ability to cross-promote the brands. At it's inception even Speedvision showed content other than sports car racing/racing/auto related programming. Originally they also had programming on boats/boating and flying/planes as well. So pick your poison. At least Nascar is racing.
    I liked watching the Reno air races better than watchin' Trackside at Hicksville.

Lowriders? Excuse me? I'd rather watch a test pattern.
    Ty Till
    #16 ITS
    Rocky Mountain Division
    2007 RMDiv ITS champion

Anyone watch the RedBull Air Races on RushHD? I think some of the new HD channels will be the alternative to SpeedTV...I'm hoping one of them will cover WRC and other alternative racing (was it me or did we miss BTCC this winter?). I did get to see the Formula BMW series on one of the channels, I think World Sports Channel IIRC.

"Pinks" makes me want to barff. It's such a Drag, I don't know why it's called racing. There's not even a left turn in the whole show. "Barrett Jackson" Why would I want to watch some liqured up over-rich guys get hosed on automobile investing? "Setup" Has some potential, if the Producer doesn't get in the way. Laura Olsen's a local national SM driver, several of the other guys are BMWCCA club racers, and then there's TK.

But all in all Sebring will be on in half an hour.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

not to be pro or con.... but wasnt there a nF1, and a top IRL driver that switched over to nascar to only be midpackers? weird!?

just something to think about

bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    "Setup" Has some potential, if the Producer doesn't get in the way. Laura Olsen's a local national SM driver, several of the other guys are BMWCCA club racers, and then there's TK.

But all in all Sebring will be on in half an hour.

James
    She's not exactly looking at the sharp end of the grid, even in this mixed bunch. She's hanging on, at best.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by vr6guy View Post
    not to be pro or con.... but wasnt there a nF1, and a top IRL driver that switched over to nascar to only be midpackers? weird!?

just something to think about

....and if we all started racing swamp buggies, some would adjust quicker than others. But even one of the fastest here isn't going to beat bubba, the three time swamp buggy champion right off the trailer.

Granted a NASCRAP car isn't exactly a swamp buggy, but it is about as close to a F1 car as it is a swamp buggy. Different horse on a different course.