Morgan -

I can provide perspective from both sides of it. I ran SM in MiDiv for 2years, then when the spec tire thing came down and i had the opportunity to buy literally a truckload of tires for practically nothing, i did it and have run ITA for the past 2yrs in my SM.

SM fields are the largest on a given weekend in MiDiv, but have retracted a bit recently. I would guess that the average field is in the range of 15-18 cars on any given weekend. Places like Memphis usually have less, but you can also find 20+ at Topeka, sometimes MAM, sometimes St Louis, and sometimes Hallett.

ITA fields probably aren't the 2nd largest in MiDiv, but they might be 3rd. I think there's been an uptick in ITA participation in the last couple years in part from the spillover of people like me from SM. I would say ITA averages between 10 and 13 entries per weekend, and i think i've seen as many as 17.

ITB there really isn't much going on in MiDiv. There's a couple good drivers out of STL in VWs, and one down in the OK/AR area with a volvo, but not much else i've seen. Same with IT7, they're is a couple here in Kansas City, and a couple in STL, but most have made the move to ITA.

What's really nice is that as it currently stands, you can be competitive with a SM in ITA in MiDiv. That way you can have a very versatile car to try out both classes with and see what you like. I personally would prefer to run in SM, but the great contingency program from Kumho has kept me in ITA. Whatever you decide, the miata has the big advantage of being a known quantity. There are a ton of people at the track with spare parts, who know how to make them go fast, and are willing to help you out.

There are also plenty of good SM cars out there for sale for not a lot of money. I'd be happy to help you find one, or asisst with anything else I can. Respond here, PM me, or email me. [email protected]