Thread: Integrated bumpers and air dams...

Default Integrated bumpers and air dams...

I have always believed that cars with integrated bumpers were able to install an air dam that falls within the 'vertical shadow' of the car - including the integrated bumper cover.

However, reading the rules now, and then going and checking my old ITCS books to see if it was changed, I don't know if I see that in the rules, only that it can be attached to the bumper cover.

It seems odd, as on some cars this could require some pretty funky air dam location/designs. Am I missing something?
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    I have always believed that cars with integrated bumpers were able to install an air dam that falls within the 'vertical shadow' of the car - including the integrated bumper cover.

However, reading the rules now, and then going and checking my old ITCS books to see if it was changed, I don't know if I see that in the rules, only that it can be attached to the bumper cover.

It seems odd, as on some cars this could require some pretty funky air dam location/designs. Am I missing something?
    First sentence of that section: "A front spoiler/air dam is permitted. It shall not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from above perpendicular to the ground, or aft of the forward most part of the front fender opening.". Is there some reason why you think that this sentence doesn't apply to cars with integrated bumper assemblies?
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Right, I just said that I don't see what I thought was there. No idea why I thought that all this time.

However - consider a car with a plastic front end, maybe a 2nd gen RX7. This would mean that any air dam must be well back from the actual leading edge of the bumper cover - back where the 'body' of the car is. However what we all commonly see (and I always thought was the intent) is something like this:

Another example is a late model Camaro. I mean I know the good General just hung that little duck bill under the bottom of the car and called it an airdam, but I would not be surprised to see an IT prepped car show up with some version of roll plastic simply continuing the contour of the bumper cover down to the allowed height. The rule as I read it would actually require something in a similar postion as the stock part, like what these guys are doing:

Have I been assuming incorrectly all this time, or am I missing somethign?
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

I think that since, on these cars, the bumper is not the forward-most thing, that the bumper cover defines the body outline. But I can see your point.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

After 10+ threads on the same thing it boils down to mental masturbation==let it goooooo. Sorry , could noy resist.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

From my read, when the rule says that the "body outline does not include bumpers or bumper mounts", it means an old style (chrome) separated bumper. In fact, the rule clearly states an exception for integrated bumpers (like the examples you brought up).

The only real issue I can see is that it doesn't make it clear that the "body outline" extends to the integrated bumper, but just that the "spoiler or airdam may be attached to the bumper cover" (ie, to the cover of the integrated bumper).

I think the intent is clear, and the wording just should be cleared up a bit.
    Last edited by ScotMac; 03-14-2008 at 01:17 AM.
    Scot Mac - Mac Motorsports
    88 ITB Fiero #41, SFR, NWR, ICSCC

Sorry I didn't remember 10+ previous discussions. But you are right, you need to let it go.

Glad to hear that I'm not nuts, and that this is what people think the rule says. I was actually just reading the PCS to see if that is what I was thinking of. It is a little different, but not drastically. I agree that it could be more clear.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd