Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJMP SA2005 helmet rule?

Default The Police write laws???

"The NJ State Police took most of these rules as input and guidelines for developing their rulesets. So they didn't follow just the SCCA GCR when writing their law."

Is it tru that the N.J. Police are "writing thieir law"? Most states have a legislature to do that...police enforce the laws as written (we hope).

Is that what you meant? Just wondered.

Good racing.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

It's more likely a "regulation", which bureaucrats are tasked to do...legislatures make laws (i.e., "the state police is going to regulate the safety of auto racing in our state") then toss the application of it to bureaucrats to write the specific regulations (i.e., "you must use SA2000 helmets"). As you no doubt know, the state police have bureaucrats, too...

I'm glad to read that Ken is involved in this project; I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know you were part of NJMP, let alone Managing Director! God news to read, best of luck to you. - GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 03-27-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    It's more likely a "regulation", which bureaucrats are tasked to do...legislatures make laws (i.e., "the state police is going to regulate the safety of auto racing in our state") then toss the application of it to bureaucrats to write the specific regulations (i.e., "you must use SA2000 helmets"). As you no doubt know, the state police have bureaucrats, too...

I'm glad to read that Ken is involved in this project; I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know you were part of NJMP, let alone Managing Director! God news to read, best of luck to you. - GA
    Greg is correct, the NJ legislature writes laws and the various state agencies create rules/regulations based on the intent of the laws. I believe all of the state police regulations are written under Title 13 and the racing regulations are written under Title 13, Chapter 62. The NJ State Police Troopers that I ocassionally run into at my day job are good people to work with.

It is good that a racer like Ken is involved with the track.
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech

Wow... sorry... I was using too much shorthand.

Absolutely... the police enforce... not write... the laws. They do, however, in this case make recommendations.

Sorry for adding to the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    How about the seat belt requirement -

"1. SFI 16.1 or SFI 16.5, incorporated herein by reference

and available at http://www.s
    fi foundation.com, seat
    belts shall be valid for two years from the month and year
    punched or indicated on the SFI tag. There shall be one
    original tag attached to one of the two shoulder belts, one
    original tag attached to one of the lap belts, and a third
    original tag attached to the crotch belt."

GCR states two years from the last day of the year stamped..... Also, I have belts that have a tag on only the lap belt, not the shoulder harness or the submarine strap.

I will correct myself. I just purchased new belts and guess what? There are SFI labels on the belts, the shoulder harness, and the sub belt! I guess the more things remain the same, the more they change!!!!!!

Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    How about the seat belt requirement...
    Remember this duesey...? Check this out:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...racetrack.html

Wow, Greg! That certainly brings back some memories of some VERY long days (and nights)!

It appears that people still don't fully understand that *all* racing facilities in New Jersey have been licensed and regulated by the state for a VERY long time and that state licensing and regulation of race tracks wasn't some new concept that was created when NJMP was opened.

And just like any other licensed and regulated industry in ANY state, the "private" owners are compelled to comply with the regulations... regardless of whether the rules make sense to the end customers.

I don't miss that part of the job there...

The nanny state strikes again. Life is becoming sadder all the time.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.