Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: April NHIS School/Regional

Soooooo....who's idea was it to go racing in early April in New Hampshire...?

Word from the track yesterday is that the event is still on and they are going to work on proactive snow removal, not just 'see if it melts'.

Good news.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Word from the track yesterday is that the event is still on and they are going to work on proactive snow removal, not just 'see if it melts'.

Good news.
    Word has it that there will be no parking on the grass, but they will be removing the snow from the parking lots just outside of the tunnel.

The garages will be very popular this weekend
    Jeremy Billiel

I was hoping to crew for a friend during the school and run on Sunday. Looks like neither are happening. Friend isn't attending the school, and I have "plans" on Sunday.

COMSCC is running at NHMS on the Mon-Tue of the school week. Word on the street is that there is still considerable snow on the track, and that the south garages suffered some roof cave-in. The track is working diligently to clear the snow from the track. We'll know tomorrow if the event is go/no-go.

Anyone looking for some seat time at NHMS, WGI, Mosport, Tremblant, Calabogie, etc., with not-your-average type of car club, COMSCC.ORG goes highly recommended. Lots of SCCA guys there already.

Anyway, my goal was to shake out the car with COM and run the SCCA event. Thought I'd spread the love.
    Will
    # 72 Miata ITA
    1.6 liters of furious power!

I have always pictured doing the schools at LRP since that is the track I am most familiar with. I have never been to NHIS. I seem to be getting a bit uptight about not knowing the track. Should I be uptight about it or should I take my skirt off and put my pants back on?

Would I be allowed on the track on Thursday?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    I have always pictured doing the schools at LRP since that is the track I am most familiar with. I have never been to NHIS. I seem to be getting a bit uptight about not knowing the track. Should I be uptight about it or should I take my skirt off and put my pants back on?

No worries. You can do the test day on Thursday as an SCCA member but remember, this is a 2-day school. SO much track time. The first session is a 'follow-around' so you will be all set.
    Andy Bettencourt

Actually, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND against your attending the Thursday test day. Several good reasons:

1) You're new. You will be dropped into groups with drivers that aren't, and who have testing purposes there, and expect everyone around them to be reasonably experienced. This is not an HPDE-point-by-let's-go-figure-out-how-to-drive day, it's a go-fast-and-get-the-car-dialed-in-for-the-race day. Bluntly put, new drivers/students will flat-out be in the way.

2) You don't know the track. See #3.

3) You're new and you don't know the track; why would you want to go out there and flop around, and possibly (probably) learn things incorrectly, which you're going to have to un-learn the next day?

4) You NEED to save your car/tires/gas/money/attitude/mindset for two WHOLE days of CONSTANT driving, WITH people properly showing you the way around.

Trust me, you WILL get more than enough track time during the school (as much as 6-7 hours of direct track time ), and you WILL be ready to go home after lunch on the second day. I know: I'm going to be an on-track instructor, plus I'm doing the test day, and *I* will be ready to call it quits during the school.

I encourage you to show up, hang out, and learn. But I STRONGLY discourage any school participant to enter the track day.

Greg

Don’t worry, be happy.
    The school environment is the perfect way to learn a track. Actually there is an advantage because you don’t have unlearn stuff you thing you know. After drive arounds in vans the first on track session is at about 5/10ths following on track instructors.
    Now if you want to hear about the wrong way to do it I will tell you about going to the Glen for my first race there. I had been there as a flagger about 20 years earlier. It a pretty good two beer story.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

I agree with Greg here. Unless you are uncertain about something on the car that you need to test be a spectator on Thursday.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Actually, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND against your attending the Thursday test day. Several good reasons:

1) You're new. You will be dropped into groups with drivers that aren't, and who have testing purposes there, and expect everyone around them to be reasonably experienced. This is not an HPDE-point-by-let's-go-figure-out-how-to-drive day, it's a go-fast-and-get-the-car-dialed-in-for-the-race day. Bluntly put, new drivers/students will flat-out be in the way.

2) You don't know the track. See #3.

3) You're new and you don't know the track; why would you want to go out there and flop around, and possibly (probably) learn things incorrectly, which you're going to have to un-learn the next day?

4) You NEED to save your car/tires/gas/money/attitude/mindset for two WHOLE days of CONSTANT driving, WITH people properly showing you the way around.

Trust me, you WILL get more than enough track time during the school (as much as 6-7 hours of direct track time ), and you WILL be ready to go home after lunch on the second day. I know: I'm going to be an on-track instructor, plus I'm doing the test day, and *I* will be ready to call it quits during the school.

I encourage you to show up, hang out, and learn. But I STRONGLY discourage any school participant to enter the track day.

Greg
    I am still in 'kinder and gentler' mode from our new FT responses...

I agree with Greg's sentiments.
    Andy Bettencourt

We just woke up to 4-5 ins of snow here. 1 hr north of Albany NY. dave--Dick I will look for 2 beers I too have a sad but true WCI story.

Correction-- WGI story

Quote Originally Posted by WillM View Post
    COMSCC is running at NHMS on the Mon-Tue of the school week. Word on the street is that there is still considerable snow on the track...
    This doesn't bode well; "GeorgeTheFierce" just posted the following on RR-AX. Any confirmation?

"...for the second year in a row, our opening event has been cancelled... Apparently NHMS has about 4 feet of snow in the oval and will not be ready for the April 7th/8th opening event..."

GA

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    Don’t worry, be happy.
    s.
    Now if you want to hear about the wrong way to do it I will tell you about going to the Glen for my first race there. I had been there as a flagger about 20 years earlier. It a pretty good two beer story.
    Sounds like Dick is fishing for a few free beers!

Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    This doesn't bode well; "GeorgeTheFierce" just posted the following on RR-AX. Any confirmation?

"...for the second year in a row, our opening event has been cancelled... Apparently NHMS has about 4 feet of snow in the oval and will not be ready for the April 7th/8th opening event..."

GA
    We have confirmed that the SCCA event is NOT cancelled (yet) - just the COM event. They will do some proactive snow removal from what I understand.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post

EVERYBODY gets a little nervous going to a new track. You'll probably surprise yourself. But I would look up videos on Youtube. I would spend a few hours watching. Although not as good as driving it, it will give you an idea of where the track goes.

I couldn't find any video rom the current ITA record holder, but there is some out there. I would also watch race video, not HPDE stuff. It will be a little closer to what you are going to experience.

As Greg said, come up and watch. Anybody will be willing to talk about driving NHIS.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Hey Joe, got any video for him? :eek:

Just remember you're there for a school and it's not a race. While learning the basic lines, remember to stay focused on flags (they will be thown including a red flag) & corner stations, and your surroundings. You'll do just fine and this will be a fantastic way for you to learn the track.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Hey Joe, got any video for him? :eek:

Just remember you're there for a school and it's not a race. While learning the basic lines, remember to stay focused on flags (they will be thown including a red flag) & corner stations, and your surroundings. You'll do just fine and this will be a fantastic way for you to learn the track.

That's a good point.

You WILL see at least two red flags over the weekend. If you blow off both of them, plan on going to another school. You'll see at least one black flag, one slow moving vehicle on track and MANY yellow flags.

Don't miss the class room sessions to work on your car. Nothing pisses of an instructor more than a student not showing up for class. It makes them look bad!!

And watch for instructors out on the track. They WILL be messin' with you. Execept for one roll over, the worst contact I have seen is between student and instructor. The instructors turn into dumb asses when they get out on the track.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

[quote=gran racing;262734]Hey Joe, got any video for him? :eek:

quote]

Will this work Dave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ZkVQs-TYo
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Ah, spectate it is.

How do I rent a garage?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP