Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: April NHIS School/Regional

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

This was a good one, definitely.
    Everyone seemed to make it through the weather-and the school-ok, and Sunday had some good races. I think SSM and ITA are tied for best to watch. My brain was a little cold to follow all the races, but I remember Richie winning in his 'Teg (no more making fun of the color of his car-though there's still his huge hauler!), and Maynard owning in DP. Beran Peter had quite an "oops" moment involving the inside frontstretch wall and cold tires. Joe dominated ITA (and lapped the first car with a namesake crazy pass in turn 2), but had #44 Miata (Brandon Bogart?) close behind (and alongside every time through 3), with Andy finally overtaking Shane H. for third on the penultimate lap (what's wrong with the 09?). Dick Patullo got to practice his emergency handling skills when slight contact got him spinning about halfway through heading into 3. Jeff scared people when his hood flew open after flooring it for the group's morning practice-that thing sounded like a bomb!
    As far as students, I couldn't even tell there were any out there! Everything was smoooth...

Thanks for the worker goodies too, Mr. Bettencourt.
    Last edited by Magical Trevor; 04-15-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Well I found out what the problem was with the car. All the whining I did over the weekend was caused by a broken rack and pinion. When the car is up on the rack you can grab one wheel and rock both back and forth very easily, no resistance at all. So replace this and try again, this time going around corners might be a bit smoother, I hope. Is it possible to have one of the veterans take my car for a ride at a track day or is that not an OK thing to ask.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Dan,
    That's a great way to learn more about your car, get feedback about potential ways it could be improved or your driving might be adjusted.

Feel like going to the Glen for SCDA's April 28/29th HPDE? Both Jake Gulick and I will be there instructing and would be happy to help out. (www.scda1.com)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Just checked out the SCDA website and that looks like a plan! I will check schedules and firm this up. Thanks
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

I have spoken with Ian Prout and I have registered for the event on Apr 28th. The check is in the mail. Hope to see you there. Should I try and remount my passenger seat??
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

If you do, you need to have the same equipment in the passenger area as you do in the driver area.

Harness and seat...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

You're going for both days, right?

Should I try and remount my passenger seat??
    Yes!!!

If you do, you need to have the same equipment in the passenger area as you do in the driver area.
    That's not accurate. If you have a spare set of racing belts, mount them up. If you have the OEM belts, keep them in place as well (as a alternative to the racing belts if we're not feeling too comfortable with how they're mounted). If you have an extra racing seat, that's ideal but not required.

I'll shoot you a PM. (On edit) or maybe not. The ability to send you a PM or e-mail is turned off. Send me your e-mail address to [email protected] .
    Last edited by gran racing; 04-16-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Dave Gran

I have just an OEM seat. I will try and mount both a new set of racing belts and the OEM belts.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Sorry, Only 1 day
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

We are planning on going on Monday too. 5 cars. Our crew guys are getting to drive so they are very excited.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post

That's not accurate. If you have a spare set of racing belts, mount them up. If you have the OEM belts, keep them in place as well (as a alternative to the racing belts if we're not feeling too comfortable with how they're mounted). If you have an extra racing seat, that's ideal but not required.
    We are talking about a RACECAR here right? Sorry man...from SCDA's website:

How do I prepare my car before an event?
    Before attending an SCDA event, it is each student's responsibility to ensure that his or her vehicle is up to the added challenges of track driving. First of all, all loose items should be removed from the automobile, take time to clean out the trunk, and empty the car completely. Fluids should all be checked prior to an event. Specifically, make sure that your oil is fresh, as is your brake fluid. Old brake fluid will appear brown or even black in color. This is not acceptable. Brake fluid should be fresh and golden in color. If at all in question, have your mechanic bleed your brakes, and have him check the thickness of your brake pads as well. Both passenger and driver side seatbelts should be fully functional and the same restraint system must be used for both driver and passenger. Tires should be inspected closely, and air pressure should be set to the appropriate amount before the car goes on the track. Furthermore, cars with body rot or rust will NOT be permitted to participate. The SCDA reserves the right to inspect any car for any reason at any point of an event. Having your mechanic check over your automobile before the event is strongly encouraged.
    I am pretty sure that the seat is considered part of the restraint system. If not, you at least have to match the belts.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 04-16-2008 at 02:36 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt

I agree with Andy - you need matching equipment for both driver and passenger.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

What was the Richard Hunter driving in ITR and why was he DQ'ed?

I thought I recalled talking to an SCDA person about the 2nd seat being optional for experienced drivers? Or did I read it somewhere? Or am I smoking something???

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    What was the Richard Hunter driving in ITR and why was he DQ'ed?
    https://improvedtouring.com...t=23839&page=2

See bottom of page 2...

"Should be" Andy. I know you're trying to be helpful and ensure Dan doesn't run into issues. Whether someone is allowed to do this is a judgement call, typically made by the instructor who decides to (or against) riding in the passenger seat. If I weren't the one volunteering to jump in his car or offering up Jake's life, LOL, then I would tell him to contact Ian to get his approval. Anyone other than Dan and for this Glen event shouldn't make the assumption that it would be okay.

Dan, I'll be speaking with Ian today or tomorrow about some other stuff and will give him a heads-up.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Thanks Greg. My questions are, why didn't he run in ITE? If you get DQ'ed doesn't that go into your log book and isn't there some plenties associated with that? hmm, what was he thinking? After seeing mylaps.com times, this guy could have won ITE with the time he was turning and have been legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO
    Last edited by dj10; 04-16-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: saw mylaps times for races

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    "Should be" Andy. I know you're trying to be helpful and ensure Dan doesn't run into issues. Whether someone is allowed to do this is a judgement call, typically made by the instructor who decides to (or against) riding in the passenger seat. If I weren't the one volunteering to jump in his car or offering up Jake's life, LOL, then I would tell him to contact Ian to get his approval. Anyone other than Dan and for this Glen event shouldn't make the assumption that it would be okay.

Dan, I'll be speaking with Ian today or tomorrow about some other stuff and will give him a heads-up.
    Dave,

Under your logic the passenger seat fuctionality is 'optional'. So is removing all the loose items. Come on. It's a bad read on poor wording. Reading the context of Ian's ruleset is important here.

Anyone who jumps into a stock seat and stock belts inside a full-prep racecar with the driver in a SCCA-approved seat with back brace and 5 point belts and a 8-point cage gets what they deserve IMHO. Ain't no way I would do that in a million years. If you want to, go for it. I know most of the people who instruct at SCDA days won't even consider it, hence the 'rule'.

If you want more options than Dave as an instructor at an SCDA event, match your passenger and driver equipment.

What may pass for an individual is not the accepted rule. Let's be safe and not sorry.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 04-16-2008 at 05:18 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt

If you get DQ'ed doesn't that go into your log book and isn't there some plenties associated with that?
    Actions by the Chief Steward fall under the following:

7.4. AUTOMATIC PENALTIES
    B. Penalties imposed by the Chief Steward shall not incur automatic penalty points. In the event that the Chief Steward’s action is protested and the protest is disallowed, thus upholding the Chief Steward’s action, the Stewards of the Meet may assign penalty points as listed above.

If you protest their action and loose, you may be assigned points, etc.
    Jason Benagh
    Steward - NER SCCA
    ITB 1995 VW Golf

Thanks Greg. My questions are, why didn't he run in ITE? If you get DQ'ed doesn't that go into your log book and isn't there some plenties associated with that? hmm, what was he thinking? After seeing mylaps.com times, this guy could have won ITE with the time he was turning and have been legal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMAO
    So you are asking why Ritchie made some less than ideal decisions. I love the guy but have you ever met him.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7