Thread: MkIII 4th Gear - Revisited

Default MkIII 4th Gear - Revisited

Any of you MkIII types got a source for the correct ratio 4th gear pair to use with the output shaft and final drives from earlier cars? It's a .97 that came in 1978-1908 FO, FF, FN, and FH transmissions.

We're building another gearbox and need parts again.

Another idea is that this might be a handy time to go to the alternate gear ratio 'box - the DFN/CHB ratios. They are legal only because some goofball decided to put them in California-model Golfs for one week back in 1995 (a slight exaggeration) but they are common in the Canadian 1.8's from what I hear.

Anyone got any sources out there? Derek Lugar or Rob McCabe - you listening, my Canadian bro's?

:cool:

Thanks

K

Default Gearbox

Kirk,
    We are coming to VIR next weekend, what exactly are you looking for, a 1.8 A-3 manual box?
    DFN or CHB ?
    Let me know and we can do some looking.
    Derek Lugar /Rob McCabe Vantage Motorsports
    send to [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Vantage #51 View Post
    Kirk,
    We are coming to VIR next weekend, what exactly are you looking for, a 1.8 A-3 manual box?
    DFN or CHB ?
    Let me know and we can do some looking.
    Derek Lugar /Rob McCabe Vantage Motorsports
    send to [email protected]
    Very cool! Come by the CMS trailer and I'll provide the beer!
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

We had a lateral thinking moment here and my current belief is that - even as a rules nerd - I don't see any problem with building an 020 gearbox that's identical to a DFN (the alternate gear set) out of a CHE - the one that came in 99.5% of US MkIIIs.

Looking at the part numbers, we should be able to source the proper gears and do it that way, saving lugging transmissions around the country. The ratios won't match the stamp on the 'box but they will match the ITCS.

Kirk (who's a little slow sometimes)

I had my sister looking in Cali, but I think she found better things to do. I finally went to Canada and brought back a CHB. I found it in a rusted out Canadian Mk3 1.8 (94 or 95, I believe). Will the 4.25 from an AVX (eco-diesel) work in this box? Sooner or later, I think I'll find my way back to the track.
    2006 NARRC ITC, 1ST
    2006 NERRC ITC, 1ST
    2000 NERRC ITB, 3RD

BUGCITY -- RANCO Collision -- FlameTheHorse -- Shine Racing Service

Our Canadian buddies brought us a 4th gear pair from the DFN/CHB "alternate" ratio set, and while it would fit a stock US MkIII 'box it will NOT work with the earlier, lower final drive gears. Just like the 4.25 out of an early diesel requires us to try to find that wacky 4th gear, this gear won't fit on the older-spec splines of the lower FD.

K

Kirk,

I have a friend that is local, that has literally dozens of used trannys (in various states) that I can ask about that gearset. If he has more than one, would you want more than one?

That's great to know, Bill. I don't have all of my documentation with me right now but the current plan is to source either:

1. Some more of those .97 4th gears from early gearboxes, or...

2. The DFN ratios that fit on the early shaft

My preference right now is for 2. Cameron checked the dealer for new bits and they NLA. (Does that mean I can run any other gears I want?)