Thread: phantom grip lsd good or bad?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Phantom Grip

I'm on 20,000 miles with a phantom grip in my dual duty street /autox GTI. Having never had an LSD in a semi-powerful fwd it is soooo nice to have two tires turning under power. Last week was the first autox event with it and I was all smiles. Now for the negative. i'm told I should expect the Phantom to leave me with a blown up diff in another 30,000 miles or so which will suck. Due to the muich harder material than the internal componenets the rub against self machining is inevtiable. I did not know this when buying it or I would have gone a different direction. You also have to hand grind the spider gears to make it fit right. my tranny gyu was flaming pissed off at me for buying such a poor fitting product. BUY the OMP!

Default LSD is critical so do it right

Some might dispute this, but the gearbox, with the proper gears and a good LSD will make the car handle much better than you think, and it will make the car easier to drive. Therefore instead of wondering if it was you or the car that just put you off course or missing the apex, you can focus on you instead of an ill handling gearbox.

If you intend to run the same car for a few seasons, than a good final drive and a Quaiffe are well worth the investment.