Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smarty gets stabbed in the back......

Default Smarty gets stabbed in the back......

Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

...and it's supposed to be expanded soon to cover other regions, apparently those regions left out have spoken up.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I'm submitting my claim for 2 tires this evening, courtesy of a class win at the VIR 3 hour enduro yesterday...

K

I just sent an email to Manchester to ask the status of 2008 NARRC contingencies.

dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

This is the e-mail I got from Hoosier today. No love for the west coast

Paul,
    Thank you for your inquiry. Hoosier certainly "recognizes" SCCA Regional racers as a component of the road racing market segment. As you probably know, NASA's organization is divided into "regions" that are equivalent to SCCA's "divisions". Therefore, because of their single layer system, NASA's regional competitors are equivalent to SCCA's National competitors. Hoosier has been involved with "grassroots" level sports car racing for over 23 years and have extended more comprehensive contingency programs than any of it's competition. Our internal experience with the market is to support our distributors where they provide "qualified" trackside support of a comprehensive nature for their area of responsibility. There are SCCA regional contingencies that currently exist in the Northeast, Cental, Great Lakes, and Southeast SCCA divisions and a very large contingency offering for the American Road Race of Champions (ARRC) which is considered the "Regional Runoffs". We are currently and have been working on solutions to make these programs applicable across the country. Your Email will be forwarded to our distributor in your area, Hoosier Tire West in Fresno, CA. Thank you again for your inquiry.
    Regards,
    Bruce Foss
    Road Racing Product Manager
    Hoosier Racing Tire Corp.
    65465 US 31
    Lakeville, IN 46536
    p: 574-784-3152
    f: 574-784-3152
    Spec RX7 #11
    Scottsdale AZ

Default Smarty

Quote Originally Posted by dominojd View Post
    Joe, from the tittle and info does this mean that smarty will not be supply for Hoosiers at SCCA events???
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

I think Joe's comments are based on THIS:

https://www.hoosiertire.com/NASADIST.HTM

Let's see...Smarty shows up at every Regional and National on the NE schedule (except for those where he would have had to be in two places at once...quite a trick, even for Bob), but no sign of him on the "trackside" list, or the current "roadracing" part of the Hoosier website (generic, non-sanctioning body-related).

That's unfortunate, whatever the circumstances. Bob, as a long-time and current active racer, always adds some "color" to what is sometimes a very bland paddock atmosphere.

What's interesting about that list is that Phil is listed for the entire New England, Midwest AND Great Lakes area!

And....unless Appalatian (sp, sorry) Tire is going under another name, THEY aren't listed either.

So, either that list is incomplete, or Hoosier has made some serious changes in it's distribution.

Further, (and I'm no expert, but) I've never seen Hoosier Tire East AT the track? (Perhaps they do pro events and Nationals, and I've just never noticed them,?)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRW View Post
    I think Joe's comments are based on THIS:

https://www.hoosiertire.com/NASADIST.HTM

Let's see...Smarty shows up at every Regional and National on the NE schedule (except for those where he would have had to be in two places at once...quite a trick, even for Bob), but no sign of him on the "trackside" list, or the current "roadracing" part of the Hoosier website (generic, non-sanctioning body-related).

That's unfortunate, whatever the circumstances. Bob, as a long-time and current active racer, always adds some "color" to what is sometimes a very bland paddock atmosphere.
    John you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Smarty bust his ass #1 and gets no recogniton. #2 Smarty has been trying to get some type of contingency from Hoosier for years. Unfortunately he's not a rich man and can't do it out of his own pocket. The little help he does get is from Hoosier east and all it is is a small deal compared to what is offerd to NASA.

What really urks me is if you are going to offer something like this to one it should be offered to all.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    What's interesting about that list is that Phil is listed for the entire New England, Midwest AND Great Lakes area!

And....unless Appalatian (sp, sorry) Tire is going under another name, THEY aren't listed either.

So, either that list is incomplete, or Hoosier has made some serious changes in it's distribution.

Further, (and I'm no expert, but) I've never seen Hoosier Tire East AT the track? (Perhaps they do pro events and Nationals, and I've just never noticed them,?)
    Basically Mr. Gulick, Phil and Kim spearheaded this contingency program and Hooosier went for it. Since Phil does all the track side for these NASA regions he has the rights to most of it. I comment him and Kim for working thier butt's off for the racers.

Getting anything from Hoosier (except for a large tire bill) is something you don't see every day.

Phil can chime in on the technical side of things he wants.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

"MR Gulick"?????????

If you used my middle initial, I'd swear you were my mother, and shehad found that stain from the Testors model paint I dropped on the den carpet but "touched up" with paint that matched the pattern when i was 12!
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    "MR Gulick"?????????

!
    I was trying to respect my elders.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

Am I reading it wrong, but doesn't this list only apply to NASA events? I realize the distribution list doesn't specify a series, but it seems the listing is specific to NASA.

Has anyone spoken to Smarty to see if he is impacted? Obviously not having LRP dates impacts his business but what about at the other tracks?

Default Hoo Hoo's

Okay here it is....

First off please don't compare apples to oranges in this case.......NASA is not SCCA and vice versa.

PhilsTireService is the NASA track support for the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes and Midwest regions. (35,000 miles last year) They are the regions that we support with our trackside service. SASCO does the NASA Southeast region. The Hoosier distributors in these regions DO NOT attend the NASA events in these regions. However, the Hoosier distributors in these regions DO support the trackside vendors that DO support the NASA events trackside in these regions.

There is no doubt that Smarty busts his ass .....we surley know the same feelings. But, Smarty is not a NASA trackside vendor, as Phil's is not a SCCA trackside vendor.

Kim and I worked hard for this for NASA, that had no Hoosier contingency of any sort prior to this year. There is no slighting of SCCA in any form here. It is a separate club and issue altogether.

Hoosier is a top shelf race tire company. They are very vested in club racing, both as a business and from a grassroots aspect. They, more so then most companies, know where the racing heart is.

Phil
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

This is the response I got from Manchester. With the IT7 class approved I guess I better update my decals.

High Dick,

Yes, Hoosier Tires East along with our servicing dealer, Northeast Racing Ent, will continue to offer a contingency program for the NARRC series in 2008. The contingency program should remain the same as in the past.

Thank
    Brian Brown
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

And what is that program?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

In the past, it has been $100 for 1st, $50 for 2nd, and $25 for 3rd.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Thanks Dave. I have to win 4 races on Hoosiers for every 1 on Hankooks...hmmm.

The question for me is simple, are the Kook's good enough to chase track records? We will see in April at the test day. First half of the day nailing down set up, second half ripping up a new set of each to see what is faster.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    In the past, it has been $100 for 1st, $50 for 2nd, and $25 for 3rd.
    And you can only use the money towards a full set of tires.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]

Another example of the "The big print giveth, and the fine print taketh away" mode of awards.

So, if you don't win about 5-6 races, you get nada, and they give nada. Nice, LOL.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region