Thread: DOT Legal Tires in ITA?

Default DOT Legal Tires in ITA?

I'm new to club racing, but have run a lot of HPDE. I tried to search the forum for this question but had no luck. The IT rule for tires is "Any DOT-approved tire is permitted. Racing, recapped, or regrooved tiers are not allowed. Tire size in unrestricted. The only modifications allowed to tires are having treads "shaved" or "trued."

So, if I understand correctly, both R-compounds (eg, Nitto NT-01, Toyo RA-1 and R-888), and competition slicks (eg, Hoosier R6, Kumho Ecsta V710) are allowed.

Is that correct? If so, does everyone run slicks rather than R-compounds in dry weather? Thanks!
    Last edited by Richard EVO; 02-21-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Richard,

All of the tires you list are considered DOT-R tires.

Real competition slicks are not DOT legal.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Richard,

All of the tires you list are considered DOT-R tires.

Real competition slicks are not DOT legal.
    x2

In the SE, most of the people who don't run Hoosier's do so b/c of cost/wear considerations and not b/c the Toyo offerings are any faster.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    So, if I understand correctly, both R-compounds (eg, Nitto NT-01, Toyo RA-1 and R-888), and competition slicks (eg, Hoosier R6, Kumho Ecsta V710) are allowed.

All those tires are DOT approved R-compound tires. The Toyo is a much cheaper tire and easy on the wallet while your getting used to the car and club racing. Looks like I need to get my car ready and get back out to the track

Quote Originally Posted by MarkosMotorsports View Post
    Looks like I need to get my car ready and get back out to the track
    Will you be at Buttonwillow March 15 & 16? I just got my Novice Permit and this will be my first wheel-to-wheel race weekend, after years of running HPDEs. :026:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard EVO View Post
    Will you be at Buttonwillow March 15 & 16? I just got my Novice Permit and this will be my first wheel-to-wheel race weekend, after years of running HPDEs. :026:
    No... between getting married, getting a house, and starting a new job all in the last 6 months racing is on the back burner right now. Hopefully towards the end of the year I can head out to the track.

Default S. E. It-7

In the SouthEast Div. does IT7 have a spec tire rule or are ALL DOT tires legal?

In the SE Div, all "IT7" cars MUST run the Toyo RA1 in 205/60/13 size. NO OTHER TIRE IS ALLOWED (as long as they haven't changed the rules on me!). If you have a car that meets all other IT7 specs BUT has any other tire or even an RA1 in another size, your class will be ITA.
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C