Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions for Neon Racers

Here is the email Kolin recieved today....

Kolin,
    It was a pleasure to meet you this weekend at the VIR race.
    Please forward this message on to your Neon community friends.
    Thank you,

Calling all Neon drivers

Hawk is taking their part number HB177 that fits the first generation Neon off their parts list. This has generated a huge outcry from the Neon racer community. We are listening and trying to come up with a solution. As we all know the Neon caliper has a poor design and creates a difficult problem in coming up with a pad that will hold up to the small piston and long pad length without bending and the friction material falling off the backing plate.
    I have proposed using a NRS backing plate with the new DTC-60 compound that would provide a superior pad to any that currently exist. However this pad may still have some of the old issues it is just less likely.

In order for this to happen I would have to place a large enough order. I would like to know how may Neons are still out there in competition and how many sets of pads you anticipate using in 1 year.

Please contact me with an email if you are interested.

Sincerely,
    Jay Andrew
    Andrew Racing-Official HAWK dealer
    [email protected]

Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

So what other options are there. If I remember correctly Carbotech, Performance Friction and EBC all make race pads that fit the neon.

Anybody use any of the above.

Chris,

With just guessing on the pad life I would say I have two cars that between them would go through 3 and 5 sets a year.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    So what other options are there. If I remember correctly Carbotech, Performance Friction and EBC all make race pads that fit the neon.

Anybody use any of the above.
    PFC's are no longer available for the Neon. It is a shame because they were some of the best

I am not sure about EBC, I have never tried them?

Carbotech makes a great product, and I have used them on many cars including the Neon. I among others have found that the Hawk seems to be the prefered brake pad for the Neon.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Just an update I would like to let everyone know that there was some confusion here regarding what pads are going to not be produced by Hawk anymore. Only the HT-10 pad for the Neon is going away. The Blues will still be available.
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit07 View Post
    Just an update I would like to let everyone know that there was some confusion here regarding what pads are going to not be produced by Hawk anymore. Only the HT-10 pad for the Neon is going away. The Blues will still be available.
    Well that certainly is good news. Now only if I could find all of the loose change I have lost over the years to buy about 6 or 7 sets of extras for when they decide to stop making the blues.

I liked the Willwood Polymatrix for the front on the Neon (no longer available). I finally ran out of my supply, and moved to the Hawk HT-10s... they were good too, but didn't quite bite the same way. Jason @ Andrew Racing was great to deal with for the Hawks, BTW.

Most parts are still widely available for the car and there is no excuse for not being able to come up with factory replacement parts (you can't throw a rock in a junk yard without hitting a neon). recently, I was buying complete parts cars for less than $300.

What I would have liked to see for the neon is a full spherical bushing kit... not just the front arms, but the whole suspension. Even with poly bushings, the car had way too much bushing deflection for precise alignments.

A track tested front airdam/splitter would be nice as well. I tried a few things with my car, but they always had negative results.

I guess it doesn't really matter to me now though...

I miss my neons!
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works