Thread: Track Checklist

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Race car = on trailer. Sucks to get to track and realize you forgot it...
    Don't forget racing license, vehicle log book, driving suit, helmet, gloves, carbon-x balaclava, socks, and shoes.

In addition to the above, I also bring:

A small tool box with spare plugs, oil, and filter, distilled water, a mini air compressor and pressure gauge, four jack stands, my racing jack, two fuel jugs, a cover for the race car, two camp chairs, an EZ-UP, an ice chest with water. I also have to pack my trailer ramps. If something big breaks, I'd just as soon trailer it and go home rather than thrash it back togeather and miss something and cause something else to go wrong.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Oooooh! I forgot a very important tool in getting your car fixed if something should happen - BEER! It's pretty amazing how effective a tool that can be for after the necessary repairs are made.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Don't forget racing license, vehicle log book, driving suit, helmet, gloves, carbon-x balaclava, socks, and shoes.

If something big breaks, I'd just as soon trailer it and go home rather than thrash it back togeather and miss something and cause something else to go wrong.

James
    Good Point... Very applicable to my situation,

Todd

I take everything that can be replaced on the car within a reasonable amount of time and the tools to change it.

For example, I do not take spare clutches, headgaskets, waterpumps, etc. because changing those involve many hours and I prefer to just go home.

Think about two things--how to pack your spares (keeping them dry yet accessible) and having a spare ready for installation. For example, take wheel bearings. If you have the "press-in type, carrying just the bearings simply ain't going to be much help. You need a spare spindle and hub ready to bolt in. This theme carries all the way to fasteners and small bits--ready to go on ...quickly. Would you takej ust spare CV joints and boots as spares rather than a complete spare axle??

Keep things tidy because a bucket of bolts is not conducive to efficient part swapping.

After a while, you can figure out what needs to be taken and not taken, but I live by the philosophy of taking everything that I can change in a 5 hour period. Usually if you have it, it will not break on the car.

It's like majic.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post

In addition to the above, I also bring:

A small tool box with spare plugs, oil, and filter, distilled water, a mini air compressor and pressure gauge, four jack stands, my racing jack, two fuel jugs, a cover for the race car, two camp chairs, an EZ-UP, an ice chest with water. I also have to pack my trailer ramps. If something big breaks, I'd just as soon trailer it and go home rather than thrash it back togeather and miss something and cause something else to go wrong.

James
    This is more like it, and exactly what I do. Travel light.

The track is the wrong place to do major work. If you are not ready when you get there, or need major work once there, its probably better/safer/cheaper to live to race another day and go home. <Knock on wood>, but in 17 years, the worst I had is the o2 sensor break out of the header, needing a piece of pop can and a couple hose clamps. Rest of the time I kinda fidget wondering if I should be wrenching on cars like everybody else.