Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Track Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by dave parker View Post
    Many people will laugh at this but it works:
    A running drivable (preferably street legal,if possible) version of the car that you are racing for all those little bits that you never knew that you are going to need.

Especially if you are doing endurance racing.

cheers
    Dave Parker
    I can vouch for this one - I took the entire fuel pump assembly off of a street car and mounted it to my race car at the track the night before my first win.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I have the luxury of using an enclosed trailer. Because of that I am able to bring almost and entire spare car this season.

on average here is what I store in my trailer.

2-4 spare axles (my old car used to eat them up 4 times a weekend!)
    Spare IT spec engine
    2 Transmissions
    2 clutches
    1 complete engine harness
    2 ecu's
    2 of every sensor
    2 distributors
    2 control arms
    4 "softer" rain spec springs
    2 knucles with wheel bearings and hubs installed
    2 complete gasket sets
    a LARGE assortment of nuts and bolts
    Throttle cable and clutch cable
    2 front rotors, brake lines and pads
    2 rear rotors, lines and pads
    2 front and 2 rear calipers
    1 master cylinder
    1 alternator
    4 wheels and tires
    4 rains
    16 wheel studs and lug nuts
    LOTS OF RACERS TAPE!!!

As far as tools. My trailer has it's own dedicated tool set. Including a tire pyrometer, VAG COM laptop diagnostics tool, Wideband 02 and any other tool needed to fix my car.

I used to rather put my car on the trailer and go home but quickly learned that each weekend is on average a $1000 investment whether I finish or not, so why not give it my all and get it on the track.
    Last edited by rabbidmk1; 02-19-2008 at 04:40 PM.

^^ I beleive that spares list sums it up.. Personally I don't have the finicial backing nor the room to hold all those spares.. but that pretty much covered everything.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Don't forget racing license, vehicle log book, driving suit, helmet, gloves, carbon-x balaclava, socks, and shoes.

In addition to the above, I also bring:

A small tool box with spare plugs, oil, and filter, distilled water, a mini air compressor and pressure gauge, four jack stands, my racing jack, two fuel jugs, a cover for the race car, two camp chairs, an EZ-UP, an ice chest with water. I also have to pack my trailer ramps. If something big breaks, I'd just as soon trailer it and go home rather than thrash it back togeather and miss something and cause something else to go wrong.

James
    This is more like it, and exactly what I do. Travel light.

The track is the wrong place to do major work. If you are not ready when you get there, or need major work once there, its probably better/safer/cheaper to live to race another day and go home. <Knock on wood>, but in 17 years, the worst I had is the o2 sensor break out of the header, needing a piece of pop can and a couple hose clamps. Rest of the time I kinda fidget wondering if I should be wrenching on cars like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Oh, and I would add one thing to Greg's list - "race car, with KEY, on trailer". Don't ask.
    I put a spare key to the race car in the binder that holds the log book. The binder goes in the duffle bag with the race suit. As said before, if you have it with you, you will never need it!!

I also tape a spare key for the tow vehicle in the glove box of the race car. I think I used it once, when the key was in a jacket on the other side of the paddock.
    Todd Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by toddgreene View Post
    Does anyone have a checklist (that you'll share) of equipment and spares to carry to the track.
    I've started a list. It would fill up a NASCAR-sized hauler if I could carry everything.
    Fortunately, I don't have an 18-wheeler.

I've got three categories: Essentials, Wants and Luxuries (if I have the space).

Essentials are tools, air, gas, tires, jacks, basic hardware, small replacement parts, etc...
    Wants are spare bumper covers, fenders (plastic Honda), axles, rotors, calipers, etc...
    Luxuries are spare engine, transmission, engine hoist, welder, etc...

I hope to be competitive one day.
    But probably won't ever run for points.

What do I really need?

Thanks,

Todd
    First I would stop using your "(plastic Honda) axles"
    Bill Johnson

Assuming the Murphy-type Law "whatever tool you
    forget, that is the tool you will need"...

and its Corollary "whatever tool you bring, you won't"...

whenever I pack the truck, I always make sure I take
    with me the Biggest Baddest Prybar in the world.....

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

I make a master list in the setup book, noting parts #s and quantity, For rentals; I bring the clutch disc and tools, brake pads X 2 each, axles, make sure they are the right size ,100/90etc.
    Rubber stuff, belts, hoses, cam seals, VC gasket,
    radiator if you can fit it. , STOPLEAK .
    Distribrutor, ignition wires, coil,plugs,module , I add one module mounted in the car, I can just unplug and plug in the other. I have not had any fail at the track in 15yrs of Dubs. Wire and connectors.

Head gasket, but every time it hurt the gaskset, the head was hurt. I just tape one to the roof of the van .
    Front spindles and bearing ass. tie rod ass and the tools to change them . Caliper kits, Oil filter, mobil one,etc antifreeze and water. Clutch cable
    Timing light
    Oil cap, fuel cap, radiator cap!! sounds stupid dont it!!
    hammer, big enough to keep the car knowing who is going to win.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I like to bring the porta power dent puller, slide hammer and bondo - that way I know there will be no contact :-)

Best forgetfulness story - a GT1 friend came to NJMP last summer and realized he forgot his passenger side door. That dude felt pretty foolish.

Most important - get a list of inspection duties and tape it to your race car and make sure you check off ALL of the safety stuff before you load the car. I'm not the best mechanic (I've moved up from suck) but having this inspection checklist has really kept me out of a few jams BEFORE I got to the track.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Running in PDX's the guys who were constantly working on their car between sessions were usually the guys that cause your rungroup to be cut short due to a hose clamp that wasn't tightened thereby covering the course with fluids etc etc. Things get missed in an all out thrash, and I don't want to be that guy. I'll take what I can for minor repairs, and cuss alot when I find out I forgot a certain whatzit. Personally, if I tear it up so bad that I need to replace control arms, or front sections, I'm going home.