Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Checklist

Default Track Checklist

Does anyone have a checklist (that you'll share) of equipment and spares to carry to the track.
    I've started a list. It would fill up a NASCAR-sized hauler if I could carry everything.
    Fortunately, I don't have an 18-wheeler.

I've got three categories: Essentials, Wants and Luxuries (if I have the space).

Essentials are tools, air, gas, tires, jacks, basic hardware, small replacement parts, etc...
    Wants are spare bumper covers, fenders (plastic Honda), axles, rotors, calipers, etc...
    Luxuries are spare engine, transmission, engine hoist, welder, etc...

I hope to be competitive one day.
    But probably won't ever run for points.

What do I really need?

Thanks,

Todd

Money / credit card, local yellow pages, & a cell phone.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Default Parts

Essentials are tools, air, gas, tires, jacks, basic hardware, small replacement parts, etc...
    Wants are spare bumper covers, fenders (plastic Honda), axles, rotors, calipers, etc...
    Luxuries are spare engine, transmission, engine hoist, welder, etc...
    I'd include axles, rotors, calipers, a-arms, shocks, struts, hubs, starter, alternator, transmission, spare head, throttle body in your Essentials list. I can replace an entire front corner @ the track with the spares that I bring. Don't forget the extra set of wheels / tires in case you get a flat, and brake pads.

Wants: Don't bother with bumper covers and fenders. You can make local repairs at the track to just get you back on the track. Tech might make a log book entry, but it won't put you on the trailer.

I woudn't bother bringing an engine hoist, if you HAVE to change the motor @ the track, there will be plenty of help from your friend / competitors.

I also bring a generator, air compressor, awning, ice chest, and food.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Race car = on trailer. Sucks to get to track and realize you forgot it...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Race car = on trailer. Sucks to get to track and realize you forgot it...
    Don't forget racing license, vehicle log book, driving suit, helmet, gloves, carbon-x balaclava, socks, and shoes.

In addition to the above, I also bring:

A small tool box with spare plugs, oil, and filter, distilled water, a mini air compressor and pressure gauge, four jack stands, my racing jack, two fuel jugs, a cover for the race car, two camp chairs, an EZ-UP, an ice chest with water. I also have to pack my trailer ramps. If something big breaks, I'd just as soon trailer it and go home rather than thrash it back togeather and miss something and cause something else to go wrong.

James
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Oooooh! I forgot a very important tool in getting your car fixed if something should happen - BEER! It's pretty amazing how effective a tool that can be for after the necessary repairs are made.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Don't forget racing license, vehicle log book, driving suit, helmet, gloves, carbon-x balaclava, socks, and shoes.

If something big breaks, I'd just as soon trailer it and go home rather than thrash it back togeather and miss something and cause something else to go wrong.

James
    Good Point... Very applicable to my situation,

Todd

I take everything that can be replaced on the car within a reasonable amount of time and the tools to change it.

For example, I do not take spare clutches, headgaskets, waterpumps, etc. because changing those involve many hours and I prefer to just go home.

Think about two things--how to pack your spares (keeping them dry yet accessible) and having a spare ready for installation. For example, take wheel bearings. If you have the "press-in type, carrying just the bearings simply ain't going to be much help. You need a spare spindle and hub ready to bolt in. This theme carries all the way to fasteners and small bits--ready to go on ...quickly. Would you takej ust spare CV joints and boots as spares rather than a complete spare axle??

Keep things tidy because a bucket of bolts is not conducive to efficient part swapping.

After a while, you can figure out what needs to be taken and not taken, but I live by the philosophy of taking everything that I can change in a 5 hour period. Usually if you have it, it will not break on the car.

It's like majic.

Cheers.

Basically what everyone else said - parts for easy fixes only.

What has made going to the races easier for me is to keep everything that goes to the track separate from the tools and supplies that I use at the shop. So I maintain two sets of tools, consumables, fluids and spare parts. That way I don't forget stuff and I can keep my track supplies packed all of the times in labeled totes.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Many people will laugh at this but it works:
    A running drivable (preferably street legal,if possible) version of the car that you are racing for all those little bits that you never knew that you are going to need.

Especially if you are doing endurance racing.

cheers
    Dave Parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Quote Originally Posted by dave parker View Post
    Many people will laugh at this but it works:
    A running drivable (preferably street legal,if possible) version of the car that you are racing for all those little bits that you never knew that you are going to need.

cheers
    Dave Parker
    I'm not laughing... I already have one... but not running...

Todd

If it is just spares, decide if you would bother fixing it at the track, then pack what you have. This can also be determined by how far it is from home. When I'm at the track that's 18 miles from home I will bring the car home for major repairs. When its a 10 hour tow, then more stuff gets brought. Same for the type of race. A 24 hour enduro (2000 miles from home) requires different spares than a single sprint race.

If you list is everything you want to bring, spares or not, just go through everything in you mind that you will do and write down everything from your alarm clock in the morning to your toothbrush before going to bed. It might be a big list, but a couple of pages of paper are way easier to waste than an hour looking for a Walmart to sell you fresh underwear at 10pm.

Don't forget things like your 'factory' shop manual and parts to fix problems on the trailer - the stuff you don't ever plan on needing.

Keep packing until you have no more space or run out of towing capacity.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Todd, I had a non-running donor car and found it very useful to take it completely apart and collect all of the useful items on it. There have been several race events where after the qualifying day (for multi-day events at LRP I go home for the night) I ran into an issue and just went down into my basement and picked-up the part. The negative side is my basement now has tons of car parts in it and my wife calls it a second garage.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Keep packing until you have no more space or run out of towing capacity.
    This from the guy that borrowed just about every part he ever put onto his GTI!!! How someone drives a VW and does not have a 13 mm wrench is beyond me!!

back to the question at hand.

I would bring whatever the known "problem areas" of your particular car are. and make sure that they are 100% ready to be installed. H20 pump w/ T-stat, gasket, O-ring..... CV axles with new nuts and bolts, control arms w/Ball joints, spindles w/ the same wheel studs that your use on all 4 corners.......

its always the small stuff that will bite you in the ass. you have all the time in the world to prepare for repairs right now, so when your trying to change a H2O pump between sessions your not scrambling to locate a gasket or O-ring

The list of spares I carry is WAY to long to post, but I usually end up supplying every VW at the track in one way or another. But I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Matt Bal

Nitrogen Bottle, Tools, Jack, Jack Stand, Heater (When its cold!), 2 cases of brake cleaner, oil, water, P/S fluid, trans fluid, control arms, hubs, struts,steering rack, head lights, tail lights, brake rotors, pads, master cylinder, calipers, brake hoses, water hoses, clutch, trans, halfshafts, throttle cable, clutch cable, shifter cables, exhaust, radiator, spark plugs and wires, engine harness, PCM, injectors, belts, alternator, P/S Pump, P/S hoses, gaskets, Nuts and bolts, ect..............

I don't like to go home after spending the $ to get there.
    Chris "The Cat Killer" Childs
    Angry Sheep Motorsports
    810 417 7777
    angrysheepmotorsports.com

IT,SM,SS,Touring, and Super Touring

Kirk I think posted a good thought. Once you have raced for a few years, you get a feel for the weak areas of your car. Those should be the critical spares (and things you should replace regularly BEFORE failure).
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Wow, you VW and Honduh guys sure keep a lot of spares with you! For the Nissan I try to keep those items that are known potential problems, and/or have needed replacing at the track in the past. My parts list includes:

- Valve stems

Oh, and I would add one thing to Greg's list - "race car, with KEY, on trailer". Don't ask.

Note to self - may need to rethink spare parts list once the Camaro hits the track.
    Last edited by erlrich; 02-18-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

One time, I put the log book on the trailer. Like, right on the rear of my open deck trailer. Like, just laying there. And then I like, just drove off. And like, I got to the track without a logbook. But I put it on the trailer.

Organization is key too. Not good to have stuff if you can't get to it. Enclosed trailer certainly helps with that.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

As above, I carry only what I need to support what I am willing to do. Within that, however, I carry a lot. Thank heavens the rig isn't bigger.....

Organization is key. Larger Rubbermaid boxes are next to that in terms of importance - they stack neatly, and keep everything dry. Also, if there is a spill, it's in the container, and not on your nice carpeting. I label each box as to it's contents.

I have checklists for damn near everything. It makes life so much easier that my wife can and does the packing for a race weekend. I'd share them, but the reality is everybody's check list is unique to them. For example, I have a box labeled "Admin" which contains my shop manuals, my license materials, and my stopwatch and clip boards. There are other boxes that are filled with nothing but spare parts. Then again, I drive a Miata, so those are probably not necessary. There is a box filled with fluids. Another box is filled with nothing but tools that I will probably never use at the track again, but needed once like a cooling system pressure tester, so I won't be caught out again.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged