Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News from LRP

I'd suggest just the knowledge that mistakes won't be so painful would improve lap times.
    Oh, without a doubt. I know it would have an impact on how I'd approach it.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

True...I know West Bend always reminds me of my off there.
    Looks like the reg. shack is nearly on the track now! (And the guard building looks to be in an embankemnt? I think the bridge thing and the outfield access were "In discussion" when Wilson drew this plan up. It will be very interesting to see the final result.
    It will easily be a second to 2 seconds faster on the "Classic Course", as it looks like certain areas will carry more speed because of the new club course, the new pavement, and the "confidence factor" you guys mentioned.

It sure won't "look" the same...
    Where is the new club house going? I remember there was talk of it being between the uphill and West Bend, with it's own pit entrance, but this plan seems to show thats not the case. That means "B" paddock. One thing is for sure, paddock space is getting tight. i wonder what the plan is on that?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Hmmm I got an Email today offering an "Associate Membership" 27,500 of course reduced benefits
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

They are widening the bridge base to accomodate.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Is the existing chicane at the top of the uphill gone? If so, how much air to you think that ALMS will get as they will be the first on the track?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Thats what I was thinking, and I imagine they will run a hybrid version of the track...part "Classic" part "club". The plans have instructions to cut and remove the old chicane.

I hope they only "club" the uphill.....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I hope they only "club" the uphill.....
    Oh I like that.
    Historic Lime Rock Park gets Clubbed.
    Last edited by dickita15; 03-22-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Why is it sickening? It's not a track for us, it's for the members. The traditional configuration will remain.
    Andy,

It is sickening because it completely destroys the character of a track that you, I and many others know and love.

Do you really believe that we will still be allowed to run the old configuration? What if the insurance company says that we have to run the "safer" configuration, or charges a higher premium for the old configuration? I don't believe that SCCA (or anyone else) can run the Glen w/o using the inner loop.

Before you guys pour cold water on the idea that we will be dumbed down to the new configuration, read what Mike Rand said on Apexspeed...

Here's a heads up guys, and a contest.
    New York Region, the region who puts the NARRC Runoffs on, are thinking about running this new abomination in September for the 2008 Regional season finale.
    We collectively need to lobby long and loud for one last great blast of the NARRCOFFS on the traditional, historical, unadulerated, unemasculated classic Lime Rock Park.
    I am now proposing a contest.
    This contest has no prize or glory.
    The contest is to be the......
    "Name the Newest Track in Northwest Connecticut" contest.
    Because it sure as hell won't be Lime Rock Park to anyone who ever raced there before.......

I guess you can ask anyone who is freaking out about this stuff if they have sat in on one of Skip's presentations to the club members or anyone who has talked with LRP's CEO.

I have. The information I have posted has come from LRP to me directly. What they have communicated to the Regions - I do not know.

Just because they are ADDING track, doesn't mean we won't be using the old one. The purpose of the new sections is to provide a slower and safer config for their members in their street cars. They will also have access to the traditional config should they desire.

There are no guarantees, but this is the info as I have it today.
    Andy Bettencourt

Just to add - you are correct in saying that if we are forced to run the new config, I see no reason to ever go back.

But again, that is not the info I have received. Fingers crossed and knocking on wood!
    Andy Bettencourt

Was it the 2007 July race that SCCA had paddock parking up top?? If I recall it was that weekend because all the ALMS teams were there for testing/ practice before the weekend. So I am wondering if the "C" paddock will now become a regular part of the paddock parking options with the B paddock being reduced in size due to the changes.

I like the pavement to the outside of the down hill and I too agree that will provide drivers with additional confidence going down the hill. Could make for some NASCAR-esque type driving like at Watkins Glen (turn 1), 4 wide with cars going to the paved area drivers left to make those passes stick.

I am all for safety so it seems like a good move, but dang it takes some of the "tuck em and go" out of diving the downhill.

harumph... the sight lines for photos of the downhill>front straight are gone. There goes "The spin of the month" series
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

Andy,

Thanks for your perspective. I'll have to try taking a deep breath and realizing that I can't influence whatever happens at LRP. Let's hope that Palmer and Thunderbolt are up and running soon...

Ken

I spent a few minutes looking at the plan.

It does not give an indication that the non-modified areas will be repaved. In fact, the concrete is still shown.

The grade outside the left hander is flattened. Notes indicate that this area needs drainage improvement. My guess it that this is a recommendation and will not be done.

Seems like there may be new bumps added at the end of the esses, on no name and at the bottom of the uphill.

I wonder if there will be enough sight line to the flag station at the uphill on the new track. The grade is a severe slope with a sharp edge in the inside of the new uphill turn. I am not sure you can see flags until you are at the rumble strip.

Seems like there may be new bumps added at the bottom of the uphill just prior to the apex where the new paving will be over old.

The grade inside no name is becoming less steep for spectators.

The plan does not indicate any grade change to the existing uphill.

Looks like two more bumps on the back straight where the new paving is over old.

The dirt barrier outside west bend is gone.

The transporters are going to have a bumpy uneven ride over two sets of curbs and three different paved areas all at once.

Hopefully the long rectangle on the bridge is a pedestrian walkway.

I don’t think that there is any effect on the B Paddock. The tree inside the downhill is still there. Maybe the back of the paddock nears Skips builing and the On Track welder will suffer a bit.

The mounds between the track and pregrid are gone. It gives a nice view of the track.

Perhaps the sight lines down the downhill are hampered due to the barrier between the new pit in and the track.

The runoff on the bottom of the downhill is just a recommendation. My guess is that it will happen if there is time and if there are trucks with material available.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by kennyr7 View Post
    Andy,

Thanks for your perspective. I'll have to try taking a deep breath and realizing that I can't influence whatever happens at LRP. Let's hope that Palmer and Thunderbolt are up and running soon...

Ken
    I do think we can influence our Regions. Since they choose how to put on a race, they may choose a different config should it be available to them.

If we run anything other than the traditional layout (for LRP kinds of bucks) I would consider bagging LRP altogether. Talk with your local people.

I will get more info on what will be available to us.
    Andy Bettencourt

Everything evolves, whether the end result is better, does not matter.
    The track is changing, nothing we can do about it. The track will be different no matter which configuration we race. The original Configuration will no longer exist, It will now have New bumps, curbs, and different pavements.

Bottom line is Give us a track, Cars and someone to count laps, and we have a Race.
    Thats all I need.
    Even the new Configuration would be better then Pocono & New hampshire.

This just in:

Each group will be able to run whatever configuration they want. The original one will stay intact as promised.

If you have a desire for a certain config, let your local comp board know!!!
    Andy Bettencourt

Actually, can the config be adjusted, choosing to use whichever components one desires...? Hell, with that many options you could have a different track each race weekend! THAT may be a good draw for the LRP events: something new each time you go there...

Default bridge

Is it true the bridge is already gone????? dave

Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Is it true the bridge is already gone????? dave

The infield parking loss will kill the Grand Am weekend. Also, no way to get from the grass lot at registration to the track. Unless they rebuilt it prior to memorial day practice.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP