Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News from LRP

I know I'm getting into this conversation extremely late...but... I went to the NHMS school in April and I did not get signed off!! Now what?? It is very depressing..with all I learned...and with the stuff I just started to understand that now I can't get on the track until October to progress!! I am scheduled to do the SCDA event on April 28th but this doesn't count toward my license and I still can't race all summer!!!??? By the way, I had a fantastic time at NHMS...Thanks to all the instructers and workers!! I even had fun flagging on Sunday and did learn more about T3!
    Denise VanBuren

It is sad but it is not the end of the world. You have choices but they all have some down side. I took a look and even towing to Great Lakes or South East your last opportunities were this weekend. you could fly somewhere and do a rental but that would cost a bit. You could take a accredited pro school but that also is expensive.
    If I were in your shoes I would run 4-6 track days and refine your driving and your setup, come to some SCCA and work or crew and do a fall school very well prepared. The truth is if you were on the bubble for getting signed off you would be pretty much thrown into the deep end starting racing. Races are the most expensive track time. If you go the path I suggest you will be far more competitive sooner.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

That's pretty much what we thought!! I'm going to do as many track days as I can and maybe get some instruction when possible! I will be attending the school at Watkins Glen in October and hopefully be a better racer for Sunday! Thanks!
    Denise VanBuren

I was told Motion Dynamics runs an accredited school at NHMS.

http://www.mdracing.com/school.asp

1-day.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Denise, how many track days do you currently have under your belt? If not a lot, doing what Dick said just might be the best thing for you. Maybe it'll turn out to be a blessing that the LRP school was canceled.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Thank you Dave, Believe me your advice means alot...but there's a part of me that wants to learn to race now!! I have to get on the track some how...catch 22!(Can't get on the track until you learn to race and can't learn to race until you get on the track!) Track Days it is!
    Denise VanBuren

here's the latest on changes.

Highlights:
    They bought 19 acres to move the infield entrance, and make room for the West bend chicane.

They are still deciding on the final configuration of the West Bend area.

They put the bridge back, almost 7 feet higher to meet FIA specs.

The old track WILL be repaved in the time the track is closed between May 27 and july 2.

They planned to build new bathrooms, but the 100 year flood plain is complicating things.

It seems that any club may chose one of 8 configurations.

The new pit entrance will not take any space from the Sunoco paddock.

http://sportscardigest.com/archives/555
    Last edited by lateapex911; 07-24-2008 at 03:51 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    here's the latest on changes.
    The new pit entrance will not take any space from the Sunoco paddock.
    Jake,
    Will everyone use the new pit entrance or will the current configuration be available?
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech

Bill, since it "appears" they're adding additional runoff and a wall in the area of the old (existing) entrance, it does not appear to be an option.

Given that a LOT of driver conflicts happen because of the existing entrance (I almost got speared by a fast GT-1 car last year when I was running DP) I call this a Very Good Thing. - GA

According to the article, which was essentially a quote from Skip Barber's speech/description, the existing opening will go away, and the new opening will be the only one used, similar to Road Atlanta, pre infield pits.

He did mention that the downhill runoff, both inside the track and outside will be paved, but the extent of that was undecided.

I raised an eyebrow at the quote that said "There are no Mickey Mouse chicanes"...the one entering the No Name Straight certainly appears to be very very tight as drawn, and while his assertion of it being wide enough for two cars to negotiate side by side my be true, I doubt that that will ever occur in any green flag condition.

To my eye, the new club layout looks very point and squirt, and rather Mickey Mouse-ish. A completley different track.
    Good thing the classic will remain..it required some good fine line judgements.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I think the new pit-in entrance will be great! How many times are issues caused by someone slowing down to enter the pits on the downhill while at-speed cars are put into a tough position since they can't reach the apex? I like it.

For the club, is it necessary to use people's personal cars or what's the deal with the club cars they'll be getting (or have)? What happens if someone damages or totals one of those cars?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

So, we have determined that there will be lots of changes, but, we will be able to choose the configuration we run.

I wonder;

Will the rental fee be the same for every configuration? (Black helicopter thinking tells me the rent will be more for the configuration the renting club wants, if the management guesses which one that is correctly ahead of time... )

and...

which configuration will the test day use?

(I bet it will vary depending on which pro race is next in the sched, and will match the sanctioning bodies choice., i.e. IMSA/ALMS wants chicanes, so the chicanery (TM) is used.)
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    I think the new pit-in entrance will be great! How many times are issues caused by someone slowing down to enter the pits on the downhill while at-speed cars are put into a tough position since they can't reach the apex? I like it.

For the club, is it necessary to use people's personal cars or what's the deal with the club cars they'll be getting (or have)? What happens if someone damages or totals one of those cars?
    Personal car use is "expected"-though Flatout brings a pair of SMs for people to play with if they want...
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Look it's a Flatout commercial.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Just too friggin cool! Who was driving the 91 car?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Just too friggin cool! Who was driving the 91 car?
    Club member.
    Andy Bettencourt

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

Work continues on the new entrance roads; they look to be paved within a week or so (likely by Memorial Day). I will get some pictures tomorrow, they will be added here (plenty others of the work are already online): http://magicaltrevor2.spaces.live.co...EDB38226!2425/
    In other news, the track has Coca-Cola back as official soft drink partner.
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Whore.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Whore.

Duh!!!
    Andy Bettencourt