Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News from LRP

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Trevor View Post
    Work continues on the new entrance roads; they look to be paved within a week or so (likely by Memorial Day). I will get some pictures tomorrow, they will be added here (plenty others of the work are already online): http://magicaltrevor2.spaces.live.co...EDB38226!2425/
    In other news, the track has Coca-Cola back as official soft drink partner.

Dave-

This picture was taken from the above gallery... is this some paint from your car

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

Quote Originally Posted by RSTPerformance View Post
    Dave-

This picture was taken from the above gallery... is this some paint from your car

Raymond
    Oh, I forgot I had taken that-that's from Ed Tisdale's incident at the NARRC-Offs last September (Pretty colorful, eh?).
    https://improvedtouring.coms/sh...ad.php?t=22600
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Happened to be in Lakeville on business today and stopped by the tack for five minutes.

Sorry I didn't have a camera but here's what I saw going on. Upon arrival, the entrance to the "grassy" registration area had processed stone being spread - lots of it.

The track surface was being ground down in some areas (West Bend) but through Big Bend and the "esses", the track surfaces was removed. It would appear the a significant portion of track and dirt was gone (maybe some serious banking??). Lots of activity - If I return I will bring a camera and snap some shots.

Also saw a FOM "mosquito" working hard on the Kart Track surface.

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

Default Lime Rock Construction Photos

Rob Zatz
    EP Mazda RX7
    FF Lola T540

WOW! I knew it would be repaved, but seeing it actually happening, and the actual deep trough that was once the track makes me...nervous!

Some cool shots on that thread, but these two really stood out. Doesn't look like that today, does it? nor will it look anything like it does today tomorrow...
    Last edited by lateapex911; 10-14-2008 at 04:05 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

HOLY CRAP! The earth berm on the outside of West Bend is...gone. All the way past the old track entrance road...they were already using the new track entrance road (Pic 1) Memorial Day weekend, so I guess I should be surprised...

Huh. He's really doing it...

Wow! Like others on that thread I have mixed emotions. Guess I'll just have to wait until Sept. to determine if I like the new track more or not.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Wow! Like others on that thread I have mixed emotions. Guess I'll just have to wait until Sept. to determine if I like the new track more or not.
    Dave,
    You don't have to wait till September to race at the track. NNJR is planning to have a Pro-IT race (Round 3) during the August 1,2 National race. Come join the Pro-IT fun in August.

In addition to Round 3 of the Pro-IT series on August 2nd, there is round 2 at the TRI-Region Pocono double regional on July 5,6, Round 4 at the NNJR regional at NJMP on August 24, and round 5 and 6 at the NNJR regional at NJMP on October 18, 19.
    Bill Etherington
    NNJR Tech

Wow, rack records are gonna fall....

The fun of West Bend was sucking up your nuts and praying you didn't stuff it into the berm or shoot across he track to avoid it and hitting the bridge........

Sub 1:00 for ITS
    1:00 for some ITA cars
    1:02 for ITB

?????
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Pro-IT on August 2 will be quite the show. Single day, just Saturday, double points, will be the last race of the day. Expect Bob and Ed to have some interesting ideas. Maybe a bonus for lap records. Look for an announcement from Flatout. Group parking in B Paddock.

We are working on the sanction and entry. We should have it posted by the middle of the month.

We will be using the traditional course for all National and Pro-IT sessions.

Thanks,
    Darrell

It is enlightening to see that the entire race surface is being reconstructed thru Big Bend and the Esses.

A properly constructed road surface is about 2 feet thick using 2-3 layers of stone/gravel and 2-3 layers of different types of asphalt paving.

One of the issues that Lime Rock has is poorly drained soil and water being trapped in the soils around Big Bend and the Esses. The photos posted by Blind Squirrel Racing show a 2'+ depth of the existing soil being removed and a black sheet (geo-textile fabric) being installed. What this does is it keep the fine, silty, water soaked soils from mixing with the courser upper layers of stone/gravel weakening the road base. It makes for a much stronger subgrade and is what was 100% needed in this area of the track.

Kudo's to LRP for actually spending the money to rebuild the track surface right.

Dave Patten
    Dunbarton, NH

Yup, he's not messing around! that's good and bad...

I hope that;
    - the "character" of the place survives. So many Alan Wilson designs are constant radius bore fests. LRP was organic, and the combination of corners made it what it was. I hope the corners are maintained and not "polished" or "cleaned up", other than to smooth the surface and create a long lasting substructure.

-It gets done in time to cure properly, so that the ALMS cars don't rip it up on the first weekend, requiring quick emergency concrete patches, which puts us right back to where we are today. THAT would be tragic...
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I was thinking about that as well. They are not leaving very much time to let it cure.
    Jeremy Billiel

New Britain, Connecticut, U.S. Local Track: Lime Rock Park

Skip said during Memorial Day weekend that four contractors are being used-one for surveying (getting as-built dimensions for as-close-to-exact-as-possible reconstruction of the surface dimensions-camber, etc.), one for milling in certain areas (front straight, West Bend), one for working the ground under the pavement and paving (Big Bend, Esses), and one for regular groundmoving (West Bend).
    I just hope that only milling in certain areas instead of a full re-bed isn't going to hurt in the long run.
    "Dumb people are always blissfully unaware of how dumb they really are."
    "Don't genius live in a lamp?"
    -Patrick Star
    NER Board Member

Come to the Pro IT race at the SCCA National August and try it out!!!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Laguna Seca had to pave two years in a row lack of "cure time" was a factor...

You think Limerock is scary dry? try it in the wet

I learned to drive in the rain at Limerock back in October in a skippy race. I put the car on pole by over nine seconds I regret that the race(s) were not in the rain... That said the experience was amazing enjoyable and taught me so much. (even if I thought the car was wrecked like 6 times:eek I will forever look forward to rain races.

During the time I spent at Limerock working for Skip it became my home track. I was there almost everyday and took my skippy three day there. Going back is always a very nostalgic experience for me. So many memories both on and off the track. Now I will be like the man whose childhood house has since been torn down, I cannot go home...

I look forward to seeing and driving the new track with very very nervous anticipation
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

damn...
    Doug
    NER.org webmaster (retired)
    the16v.com Photography
    briansgarage.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Come to the Pro IT race at the SCCA National August and try it out!!!

Is the schedule for that weekend posted anywhere? We are considering the 12 hour trip to come race but need details.

Thanks.

The entry and supps for the National and Pro-IT are in the final stages of approval. Once we get the sanction numbers we will post that to NeSCCA.com.

The national is August 1 & 2 and will use the classic Lime Rock Park course.

The Pro-IT will be Saturday only, there will be room reserved in B Paddock so we can all be together. Look for Flatout to be involved with a BBQ between sessions. Need to see what FOM has in store.

There will be a 15 minute qualifying session just before the lunch break. Then the race will be a few minutes after the last National race and will be 45 minutes (or till 5:55). Usual party/reception to follow. Once results are final I'll have the checks.

Should be a lot of fun at Lime Rock on the new surface!

See you at Pocono on July 5 & 6.
    Thanks,
    Darrell

The latest update from Lime Rock has some changes:

Impressive pictures too,.

The entire Classic Lime Rock Park will be paved, the Optional Uphill and West Bend corners will be built and paved, the new entrance completed and two new spectator areas created. We’re using asphalt millings to “pave” the road into the overflow parking in Lights Field and all the dirt roads in the Infield. No more dirt and dust, which is particularly good for campers. In addition, we have rebuilt the interiors of both hospitality Chalets and hope to finish the roof over the ticket taking area.

We will postpone to the winter: moving 20,000 cubic yards of dirt to create the Optional Back Straight, building the Optional Lefthander, raising the runoff area of the Downhill and building the new pit lane. Late in the spring all of these elements will then be paved. We had hoped to rebuild the paddock bathrooms but this, as well, won’t happen until this winter.

Core samples determined that milling from the beginning of No Name Straight to the Pedestrian Bridge at the end of the Front Straight was the best preparation for repaving. Big Bend, the Lefthander and the right turn onto No Name Straight needed to be completely dug up – to a depth of 3.5 feet to build a proper base. In the photos you will see the excavation, the installation of a membrane that prevents a hydraulic movement of silt and sand upward into the new gravel and a grid over the first six inches of gravel that when filled, vibratory rolled and compacted, forms a stable near-concrete layer between the first and second gravel courses.

The rest of the track has been milled twice; one inch first and then a second .75 inch pass. The outside of the Front Straight has had a third, one-inch pass. This has all been done using non-contact sensors in an attempt to maintain a variation of less than an eighth of an inch. We’ll see, but driving on it prior to new asphalt shows a huge improvement. Participants should be extremely happy.

We have done an “as built” survey with the goal of replicating the cambers, banking, lack of both, etc. trying to exactly recreate the Classic track (minus the concrete patches and bumps). This is being done to the utmost capability of the machinery and as humanly possible for the physical labor involved.

The circuit will be ready for the ALMS race weekend. ALMS will run the Optional Uphill and the Optional West Bend. These two additions will also provide great viewing areas.

Over the next 12 months we will continue to develop three new viewing areas. The objective is to make it easy for spectators to walk from area to area and see the whole track in one day’s visit. When you approach the drive-over bridge from the new entrance there will be a berm on your right, before the bridge, that will give an excellent view of Classic and Optional West Bend. This will be largely completed this month. On the left, before the bridge, we will clear trees and brush to provide a good view of the downhill. We hope to do this by winter. And ultimately, there will be good viewing from the inside of the Optional Uphill. We might terrace this area.

As we continue the hard work and battle the weather, we will make sure to provide all fans with updated and detailed information on the website. We are thrilled that these improvements are being made and look forward to what the future holds for Lime Rock Park.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region