Thread: Nerrc/ Narrc Ita

Default Nerrc/ Narrc Ita

It's time to get on this gravy train. Who is in?

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/pdf/co...ram%202008.pdf

If everybody runs 'em, it don't matter none if they are a tick slower...

Working on a local disti source plan. Shipped to Flatout - come and get 'em? Try and get Smarty to help us? Is it worth it?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Two concerns of mine: Supply and freight costs.

I'd be in........ The more the better.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    It's time to get on this gravy train. Who is in?
    If everybody runs 'em, it don't matter none if they are a tick slower...
    Um...

If we are all going to race the same tires, why don't we all just run shaved Toyo RA-1's. That way everybody saves money. (about $200 less a set, and one set will can last a season!)
    Jake Fisher : ITA MR2 #22 : www.racerjake.com

Default hankook

if and when the integra runs in A, i have no problem picking a tire. in the A class i would lean more to a sticker tire. the heavier cars need grip. since i am runnig B this year i plan on using the hankooks. if everbody chose to run toyos in that class then that would be fine. good luck on getting peolpe to chose a tire. so if there is some kind of group buy let me know. it was nice spending less on tires when i ran Sm. maybe they could work.
    Last edited by dazzlesa; 02-10-2008 at 10:21 AM.
    Rick Benazic
    All Star Sheet Metal inc.

ITS Honda prelude #06

Running Toyos are a great idea but even in classes where that's the spec tire (speaking of Honda Challenge here), that doesn't necessarily reduce costs. For additional speed, people just get them shaved closer among other techniques to gain an advantage.

I'm seriously thinking of using Hankook tires this year as well.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Default hk

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Um...

If we are all going to race the same tires, why don't we all just run shaved Toyo RA-1's. That way everybody saves money. (about $200 less a set, and one set will can last a season!)

If you were to pick a Toyo...I would go with the new R888. The RA-1 will go away at the end of 2008.

another two cents....

Phil
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

I would be in favor of a gentlemans (ladies) agreement to all use the same tire/compound. The Hankook offeres great contingency and if everyone is using them there would be no competitive advantage. Everyone always uses what the leading cars use anyway so why not have the opportunity to get back some $$. Last time I checked there were good payouts for the top few places.

Anyone else in ITS/ITR want to make a deal too? Jeff H. and myself are in if others will follow.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Does anyone know of a dealer that can heat-cycle the hankooks, like tire rack will for the hoosiers?
    Scot Mac - Mac Motorsports
    88 ITB Fiero #41, SFR, NWR, ICSCC

Those in the biz have told me the Tire Rack service isn't the same thing, nor is it properly effective, as real live on the track heat cycling.

if they are right ....it's all ablack art, LOL...that's too bad. Nice service.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Um...

I don't think everyone will go along with running a "spec" tire and there is too much of a performance difference between the Toyo and the Hoosier/Hankook.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Those in the biz have told me the Tire Rack service isn't the same thing, nor is it properly effective, as real live on the track heat cycling.

if they are right ....it's all ablack art, LOL...that's too bad. Nice service.
    I've heard that too, but it usually from the competitors that don't offer the service. I believe that the tire rack service is not 'exactly' the same as a track heat cycle, but close enough to give the extra wear i want, and save a lot of hassle.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried those tire warmers as a way of heat cycling their tires? Probably not worth the purchase price, since we spend soo much time on the pre-grid, you can't really use them for the race, just the initial heat cycle.

I just got an email from Jeff at Hankook. He says he knows of no one, other than Tire-Rack doing the heat-cycling service.

He also says that they did NOT buy into SCCA doing the sticker/tire verification (less overhead == more rewards), so just some other driver (using hankooks) and the photos you send him are enough.
    Last edited by ScotMac; 02-12-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Oh, and here is the list of race-tire dealers/distributors:

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/motor/...stributors.asp

Scot, what do you mean about the sticker / tire verification? Talking about their contingency program? If so, instead of getting an SCCA official to sign the sheet it's necessary to locate someone else who is running Hankooks to sign the document? Is proof needed that they are in fact using Hankooks? I know, these questions should be directed toward Jeff but didn't know if it came up in your discussion.
    Dave Gran

Default heat cycling

If you have another set of wheels heat cycling can be accomplished very easily. The most important step is letting them sit minimum 24 hours. Heat cycling "may" make them last longer if you have everything else properly in place, i.e. proper camber, proper tire pressure etc. Another thing that heat cycling "may" do is make your first lap your fastest, as opposed to your 2nd or 3rd lap being your fastest.

If I'm at a track with anyone running Hankooks I can do the verification for the contingency.

Phil
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels

Phil, does this mean you're not totally sold on heat cycling tires? I've always found it very difficult to coordinate.
    Dave Gran

Default hk

Dave,

I believe in heat cycling tires, but it has to be done correctly. Like I said, the wait time is the most important. If you have time I would do it. With that said, if you don't have the pieces in place ( camber, tire pressure, car set up in general ), you're not going to benefit from heat cycling. Not because they won't heat cycle or anything to do with that process, but the tire will not perform properly and most likely will not give you the service time anyway.

Phil

Just because you spend $15 to get them heat cycled or do it yourself, doesn't mean it will add anymore life or speed to the tire if certain procedures are not adhered to.
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Scot, what do you mean about the sticker / tire verification? Talking about their contingency program? If so, instead of getting an SCCA official to sign the sheet it's necessary to locate someone else who is running Hankooks to sign the document? Is proof needed that they are in fact using Hankooks? I know, these questions should be directed toward Jeff but didn't know if it came up in your discussion.
    Dave, yes, yes, and yes.

Proof is needed. Open up that contingency form that Andy posted the link to.

And the verification doesn't need to be an SCCA official, and SCCA may or may not be happy to do it, since as mentioned Hankook did not pay them for it.
    Last edited by ScotMac; 02-13-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    ... I've always found it very difficult to coordinate.
    Exactly my point. I can do it at the track, but it puts a strain on already minimal budget and crew (crew, what crew? .