Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spec Focus

Default Spec Focus

hey, does anyone know what class a NASA spec focus car would be in? in particular i have the svt model. the car is around 2400-2600 lbs...stock engine, suspension mods, fully gutted and caged. wasnt sure where it could race in the SCCA.

Quote Originally Posted by TfnG View Post
    hey, does anyone know what class a NASA spec focus car would be in? in particular i have the svt model. the car is around 2400-2600 lbs...stock engine, suspension mods, fully gutted and caged. wasnt sure where it could race in the SCCA.
    The 2002 1/2 Focus SVT is currently classified in Showroom Stock B. Of course the fact that yours is gutted and has suspension mods wouldn't make it legal for SS.

Dan

It does not appear that the SVT Focus is currently classed. The non-SVT focus (years 2000-2001) is classed in ITA.

You could request that any of the various Foci not already in the IT rules be listed, by following the process described at...

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=44

There are links to the forms and General Class Rules (GCR, of which the IT rules are part).

Make very sure that you keep the various models separate in your thinking and in any proposal you might submit.

Kirk

EDIT - I don't think there's anything on an SF that would make it illegal in IT, although it won't likely be competitive since it's a more limited package than one could run if a car were built to the limits of the IT rules.
    Last edited by Knestis; 02-12-2008 at 10:17 AM.

'Napkin math' spits this out:

170hp Focus SVT with driver

ITR weight: 2290ish

ITS weight: 2640ish
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Focus SVT could never make the ITR weight. ITS sounds right.

As a matter of fact, the current Zetec Focus needs to be reclassed from ITA to ITB with a more realistic weight as well - 2400 lbs is not a reality for these cars, 2600ish would be all right for these in ITB - the Spec Focus guys are lucky if they can reach 2600 lbs.

Make any request that you think makes sense, in terms of what can actually be achieved in terms of weight. Provide whatever documentation you can - stock curb weight, etc.

K

EDIT - Remember however, the basis for classification and weight specification presumes a gen-U-ine 100% build. When you say that the SF guys can barely make 2600, is that fully stripped with IT-type improvements?
    Last edited by Knestis; 02-20-2008 at 08:18 PM.

I'm really just talking of the top of my head - I'll have to do my homework before making any serious request.

From what I've read, the Spec Focus in ZX3 trim is basically the ITA ZX3 with spec suspension components, some engine mods (not IT legal), and 17 inch wheels instead of 15.

I just think that these would make great (modern) IT cars and wouldn't want to see them wind up as "tweeners".

I just found the curb weight listed at 2551 lbs. - 130hp.

So, what is the official procedure to request a reclassification of a current car?

Quote Originally Posted by TfnG View Post
    When someone gets SCCA to classify it , it would be an ITS car & would have to compete against the killer Mazda`s & BMW`s. If you have a completely legal Spec Focus car then it would be illegal in SCCA with the Lexan windows Spec Focus allows. Also with the Spec suspension you would be a mid packer (at best) against a legal ITS car. If the economy ever pics up i`m sure so will the spec focus crowd , but sure won`t be as popular as the spec Miata is. (just my .02)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcV View Post
    I'm really just talking of the top of my head - I'll have to do my homework before making any serious request.

From what I've read, the Spec Focus in ZX3 trim is basically the ITA ZX3 with spec suspension components, some engine mods (not IT legal), and 17 inch wheels instead of 15.

I just think that these would make great (modern) IT cars and wouldn't want to see them wind up as "tweeners".

I just found the curb weight listed at 2551 lbs. - 130hp.

So, what is the official procedure to request a reclassification of a current car?
    You can bet it would come in ~ 2305 in ITA is you did the work to classify it.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

The regular Focus is where it should be in ITA. The SVT should go to ITS or R I believe. Also, I am curious about this as well except based on an ST Model which has the Mazda 3's 2.3 Liter motor w/ 151HP and 154lb of Torque. The 2.3L cars are SSC trim now.

I am wondering because in 3 years that may be my next car.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    You can bet it would come in ~ 2305 in ITA is you did the work to classify it.
    That is why it deserves to be reclassified in ITB!

The car belongs in ITA as classed. These cars can make weight if you try hard enough. From having autocrossed acr neons, focus and protege's all in DSP/FSP or STS trim, I can tell you that if someone builds a Focus to the limit it would be a front row car and possibly the best car in the class.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

not a chance.

edit: well I guess there is always a chance.. but I imagine it would be classed very, very heavy.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    The car belongs in ITA as classed. These cars can make weight if you try hard enough. From having autocrossed acr neons, focus and protege's all in DSP/FSP or STS trim, I can tell you that if someone builds a Focus to the limit it would be a front row car and possibly the best car in the class.
    So, using Andy's paper napkin math, you would need to be able to remove ~550 lbs from a ZX3 Focus in order to make ITA weight of 2305.

This assumes ~300 lbs will be added with cage, driver, and fuel.

The question is if that is achievable, within the IT rules?
    Last edited by MarcV; 03-12-2009 at 04:05 PM.

never underestimate the weight of a modern interior. particularly one designed in europe.

that said, I agree that weight will be difficult to impossible to get a ZX3 2.0L + cage + driver - IT allowed removal down to 2305#, but that's OK in the rules; no promises of competitiveness and all that.

My '00 Focus ZX3 (2.0L Zetec) weighs in at 4580 with driver and 1/2 tank of fuel. It's completely gutted/caged, has coilovers and is legal for ITA, well, except for that pesky supercharger which is why I run in ITE.
    Last edited by dhardison; 08-25-2010 at 09:55 AM.
    Dan
    2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 Great Lakes Division ITB Champion

It would hlp to know where you are. In SOWDIV you could run it in ITE. If my 2800# 175 HP pig can finish second in ITE 2 years in a row you should be able to make a go of it.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

I have an SVT Focus street car so this discussion has been interesting.

At the NASA championships a couple years ago at Mid Ohio, the fastest lap time recorded in Spec Focus was in the 1:48s. (Do not know if they ran the pro course or the chicane.) Does anyone know what the lap time of such car might be if run in IT trim?

In order for the car to be a world-beater in ITR, the Focus would need to run 1:41s on the chicane configuration. In ITS, maybe 43s.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    I have an SVT Focus street car so this discussion has been interesting.

At the NASA championships a couple years ago at Mid Ohio, the fastest lap time recorded in Spec Focus was in the 1:48s. (Do not know if they ran the pro course or the chicane.) Does anyone know what the lap time of such car might be if run in IT trim?

In order for the car to be a world-beater in ITR, the Focus would need to run 1:41s on the chicane configuration. In ITS, maybe 43s.
    You have to take into consideration that the spec focus suspension is far from an IT level suspension would be. IIRC they don't even run adjustable shocks, just the SVT shocks and different springs and bars.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!