Thread: Spec Focus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spec Focus

hey, does anyone know what class a NASA spec focus car would be in? in particular i have the svt model. the car is around 2400-2600 lbs...stock engine, suspension mods, fully gutted and caged. wasnt sure where it could race in the SCCA.

Quote Originally Posted by TfnG View Post
    hey, does anyone know what class a NASA spec focus car would be in? in particular i have the svt model. the car is around 2400-2600 lbs...stock engine, suspension mods, fully gutted and caged. wasnt sure where it could race in the SCCA.
    The 2002 1/2 Focus SVT is currently classified in Showroom Stock B. Of course the fact that yours is gutted and has suspension mods wouldn't make it legal for SS.

Dan

It does not appear that the SVT Focus is currently classed. The non-SVT focus (years 2000-2001) is classed in ITA.

You could request that any of the various Foci not already in the IT rules be listed, by following the process described at...

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=44

There are links to the forms and General Class Rules (GCR, of which the IT rules are part).

Make very sure that you keep the various models separate in your thinking and in any proposal you might submit.

Kirk

EDIT - I don't think there's anything on an SF that would make it illegal in IT, although it won't likely be competitive since it's a more limited package than one could run if a car were built to the limits of the IT rules.
    Last edited by Knestis; 02-12-2008 at 10:17 AM.

'Napkin math' spits this out:

170hp Focus SVT with driver

ITR weight: 2290ish

ITS weight: 2640ish
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Focus SVT could never make the ITR weight. ITS sounds right.

As a matter of fact, the current Zetec Focus needs to be reclassed from ITA to ITB with a more realistic weight as well - 2400 lbs is not a reality for these cars, 2600ish would be all right for these in ITB - the Spec Focus guys are lucky if they can reach 2600 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by TfnG View Post
    When someone gets SCCA to classify it , it would be an ITS car & would have to compete against the killer Mazda`s & BMW`s. If you have a completely legal Spec Focus car then it would be illegal in SCCA with the Lexan windows Spec Focus allows. Also with the Spec suspension you would be a mid packer (at best) against a legal ITS car. If the economy ever pics up i`m sure so will the spec focus crowd , but sure won`t be as popular as the spec Miata is. (just my .02)