Thread: Help! My wifes truck will not run

Question Help! My wifes truck will not run

I sure hope you guys can help me. This morning my wife's '02 Expedition w/5.4 & 60k miles would start and idle but would die after about 10 seconds or if you pressed the accelerator. Did a few searches on some Ford truck forums and it sounded like the Idle Air Control Valve so I replaced it which, as is usually my luck, it was not the problem. Did some more searching have and checked the following.

Can't hear a fuel pump but I'm used to the unit on my F250 diesel which is loud
    Both Fuel Pump fuses OK
    Fuel pump relay OK
    Fuel filter probably has never been changed and I'm thinking about doing that. Before the filter goes back on though I'd turn the key on to see if any fuel comes out the line
    Fuel pump inertia switch not tripped but I have not checked for power at the pump either.
    No pressurized fuel out of the fuel rail schrader valve.

Now it will not even idle. Have I overlooked something? How do you test the pump? I may be forced to have it towed to a dealer since it looks like its the fuel pump which is located in the tank. I could do it but really don't feel like it but it would save me $800. That's a set of tires and one entry fee.
    Tom Sprecher

...It would seem cheaper if you raced on Hoosiers

Is the check engine light on? You can get a code reader pretty cheap that plugs into the OBDII port. It should point you in the right direction.
    1984 Porsche 944 ITS #54

Default Seems like a good time to get a reader

Thanks for the idea. Anybody have any suggestions on readers?

As far as Hoosiers go we in SEDiv IT7 are forced to run a spec tire, the Toyo RA-1, and they run about $520 a set shaved from http://www.racetire.com/ and I'm not sure if that includes mounting and balancing. The same situation from Hoosier is $664. Maybe spec tire rules aren't so bad after all.
    Tom Sprecher

Mass airflow sensor would give you a problem like this. Try unplugging it and see if throttle responds. Will run badly, but if it stays running, this is most likely the problem. Sensor can sometimes be cleaned if disassembled from housing and made to work again, sometimes not. PM me if any questions after you try the unplugging it trick.
    "I came, I saw, I broke"

Default Thanks For the Advice

But it turned out that the fule filter needed to be replaced. I never thought that it could get that dirty but I was wrong.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    But it turned out that the fule filter needed to be replaced. I never thought that it could get that dirty but I was wrong.

Wahoo, nothin' like a cheap, easy fix!!! Gotta love those!!

But get a scan tool anyhow. I got a cheapy from JC Whitney. I use it on both my F150 (w/ 5.4) and my M3. Saved me a TON of money. It will really help when the coil packs go on the 5.4 And they will go!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
    I never thought [a fuel filter] could get that dirty but I was wrong.
    Uh, Tom, isn't getting dirty the whole purpose of its very brief life...?