Thread: ODB-II coder reader suggestions

Default ODB-II coder reader suggestions

I'm thinking about getting one and don't know the first thing about them. Of course I want something decent w/o paying an lot. I tried to search here but came up empty.

Thanks,
    Tom Sprecher

how much do you want to spend?

Since I'll use it once in a blue moon I was hoping to get by with as little as possible, maybe <$200.

I saw these...

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en....00&lnk=prsugg

Thanks for any help you can give. My wife's Expedition still won't start, I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump but I sure would like to see if there are any codes before I remove the tank to replace it. I still need to see how the OEM air suspension is tied into the gas tank. Don't want to find out it's a pressure vessel as well.
    Tom Sprecher

Do you have a notebook computer? If so I recommend the triple combo from this guy:
    http://www.obd-2.com/

His customer support is good and the product will work on almost every OBD-II car.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

I like laptop and Palm based stuff........

This one for $122 is well supported and you might find to be handy for more than broken cars

http://www.obd-2.com/

Go to Harbor Freight. I just got a nice one for 79.00. Tells you whats wrong and can clear codes. Got the sububan fixed quick. Just needed a temp sensor.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by zchris View Post
    Go to Harbor Freight.
    +1. I bought one from there and it works great. - GA

Many parts stores will have them as a loner. The deposit is usually the full cost so you effectively buy it, but when you return it they give you a full refund. Sometimes they'll let you take it out in the parking lot if you're just clearing codes and not ask for a deposit. Probably depends on how honest you look.

I'd check this out before looking to buy one, its worked for me for years.

+1 for the loaner approach. I have used autozone for this purpose for years.
    Last edited by ScotMac; 02-13-2008 at 05:07 PM.
    Scot Mac - Mac Motorsports
    88 ITB Fiero #41, SFR, NWR, ICSCC

I asked for a loaner when I bought the fuel filter but they loaned it out once and it never came back. So I bought one from the HF down the street for $89. We'll see what happens.

On Edit: Turns out it was a plugged fuel filter so I'm taking back the reader since I didn't even take it out of the box.

Thanks guys,
    Last edited by tom_sprecher; 02-12-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: The joy of not having to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump!
    Tom Sprecher

I got one of the HF models. Paid for itself the first time I used it. Sould have bought one a long time ago!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

It's gotten to the point that having a decent scanner in the toolbox is as basic a requirement as a set of wrenches. When the DD threw a CEL a few years back I did some research before buying a scanner. I wanted something with decent diagnostic capabilities, which rules out the basic HF scanners.

The two the ended up in my search were the AutoXray 4000 handheld and the AutoEnginuity software. Both offer freeze frame data capabilities which record what was happening when the code went off, as well as live data monitoring. The AutoEnginuity offers the ability to look at multiple data streams simultaneously, and the AX does not. I went with the AutoXray because it was self contained and I did not have a lap top at the time to trot out to the shop with. Both were right in the $200 range.

There are hyper expensive Snap-On style solutions out there that have all sorts of neato functionality (usually OEM specific), but even used on CL they go for thousands of dollars.
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

I had one of these mounted to the dash on my racecar

http://www.scangauge.com/

... and I've been very happy with it as a cheapie unit. Records/displays things like max water temp, speed, rpm, and also displays live data from the PCM.
    -Jeff S
    '07 Mid-Am ITA Champion
    '07 St.Louis Region Driver of the Year

www.plainoldgas.com

Honda S2000 for ITR in the works