Thread: Heart of Dixie Double SAARC/ 300K Night Enduro ECR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'll be there. Yay.

The enduro at Nashville Superspeedway will be scheduled for 300 K or 3 hours. Planned start is 7:30 PM and sunset is 8:04 PM. The sun sets behind the big grandstands so dark spreads across the track quickly. Two pit stops, so 3 drivers can share. Only tough guys and gals should plan on Iron-Manning the 132 laps. This is going to be fun!
    Bill

What, if any, of the banking is going to be used? The online track map, and a few youtube vids I could find were not clear on the extent of the course being used.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

The road course doesn't use the banking for track, we use it for paved safety runoff area. So nobody who gets off on the two very fast corners inside the backing gets to the wall. So all the crash damage at Nashville so far is car-to-car. None of the walls are a factor.
    We do run the tri-oval front "straight".
    Bill

which of the transitions from infield to main course are tough on the suspension?

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Well, if you go too deep into nascar1 before dropping onto the apron for turn 1 the transition can be rough. In the times I have run the track I altered my line to not go so deep or high on the banking and the transition was not too bad. I was geared wrong for the track but still managed to turn 1:15's there.

The transition onto the back straight is rough only if you get onto the curbing but I haven't driven the track with all of the new stuff in place. This observation came from working turn 1 at last falls races and seeing multiple cars on two wheels.

Coming onto the oval can be pretty rough if you try to get onto it too early as you come around toward the front straight.

Myabe JeffY or some of the others that ran there with the new curbing last year will chime in.

I like the track as it is hard to get "just right" for a fast lap. Others opinions may differ.

Forgot to answer Chris's question. If you look at a track map the road course enters the nascar oval about where the nascar pit entrance is. I have used the hash marks of "pit out" as an aim point for exiting the oval for road course turn one. Hope that helps.

Paul
    Last edited by pballance; 02-14-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: forgot chris's question
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

I found the transitions could be tough but manageable. I've forgotten the line now, but one way "into" turn one basically eliminated all of the hard thumping and it seemed to be fast (I ran a fast lap of 1:13.1 I think, about 2 seconds off the two fast Z cars).

The exit onto the backstraight could be very harsh if you hit the curbs wrong. Again, I just don't remember the line but I got up on two a couple of times. Same was true for entrance to the chicance off teh backstraight. Entrance to the trioval was a non event.

I did transition poorly enough that my strut bar moved and hit a cooling line fitting on the top of the manifold, causing me problems later in the year. But honestly, the transitions if driven right are no harder than at Rockingham or Charlotte.

I liked the track, it's just at 10 hours probably too far for me to go unless I really need the points.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8