Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart of Dixie Double SAARC/ 300K Night Enduro ECR

Arrow Heart of Dixie Double SARRC/ 300K Night Enduro ECR

Thats Right folks, 300k ECR "under the lights" at Nashville Superspeedway! Cool nighttime racing experience in cooler nighttime temperatures!

Mark your calendar now for June 14-15 for Nashville. There will also be a pdx!

Covered garages will be available and much, much more to be announced soon.

Save the date!!!!!!!
    Last edited by pballance; 02-11-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Anyone have an idea on what '300K' is in hours?
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

Well, 300 kilometers is about 186 miles. A lap at Nashville Super Speedway is 1.41 miles, so that's about 132 laps, give or take. The best lap time of the winner of the Pro-IT race at last year's event was a little over 1:13, but a conservative time might be 1:15 per lap, which would be 160 minutes, give or take. Add a couple of 5 minute pit stops and you are at 170 minutes, so it's around a 3-hour race.
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN

I'll be there. Yay.

The enduro at Nashville Superspeedway will be scheduled for 300 K or 3 hours. Planned start is 7:30 PM and sunset is 8:04 PM. The sun sets behind the big grandstands so dark spreads across the track quickly. Two pit stops, so 3 drivers can share. Only tough guys and gals should plan on Iron-Manning the 132 laps. This is going to be fun!
    Bill

What, if any, of the banking is going to be used? The online track map, and a few youtube vids I could find were not clear on the extent of the course being used.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

The road course doesn't use the banking for track, we use it for paved safety runoff area. So nobody who gets off on the two very fast corners inside the backing gets to the wall. So all the crash damage at Nashville so far is car-to-car. None of the walls are a factor.
    We do run the tri-oval front "straight".
    Bill

which of the transitions from infield to main course are tough on the suspension?

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Well, if you go too deep into nascar1 before dropping onto the apron for turn 1 the transition can be rough. In the times I have run the track I altered my line to not go so deep or high on the banking and the transition was not too bad. I was geared wrong for the track but still managed to turn 1:15's there.

The transition onto the back straight is rough only if you get onto the curbing but I haven't driven the track with all of the new stuff in place. This observation came from working turn 1 at last falls races and seeing multiple cars on two wheels.

Coming onto the oval can be pretty rough if you try to get onto it too early as you come around toward the front straight.

Myabe JeffY or some of the others that ran there with the new curbing last year will chime in.

I like the track as it is hard to get "just right" for a fast lap. Others opinions may differ.

Forgot to answer Chris's question. If you look at a track map the road course enters the nascar oval about where the nascar pit entrance is. I have used the hash marks of "pit out" as an aim point for exiting the oval for road course turn one. Hope that helps.

Paul
    Last edited by pballance; 02-14-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: forgot chris's question
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

I found the transitions could be tough but manageable. I've forgotten the line now, but one way "into" turn one basically eliminated all of the hard thumping and it seemed to be fast (I ran a fast lap of 1:13.1 I think, about 2 seconds off the two fast Z cars).

The exit onto the backstraight could be very harsh if you hit the curbs wrong. Again, I just don't remember the line but I got up on two a couple of times. Same was true for entrance to the chicance off teh backstraight. Entrance to the trioval was a non event.

I did transition poorly enough that my strut bar moved and hit a cooling line fitting on the top of the manifold, causing me problems later in the year. But honestly, the transitions if driven right are no harder than at Rockingham or Charlotte.

I liked the track, it's just at 10 hours probably too far for me to go unless I really need the points.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I am willing to run a V8 car in a 3 hour and have enjoyed it in the past. I just want to be sure not to beat the snot out of it because of the race track. From the description it sounds like being a little off line can be HARD on the car.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Come on out and try it. I don't remember the transition off the back straight to the bus stop as being that hard. I do know that if you are not turning right as you drop off of back straight into the bus stop you are WAAAAY behind as the track narrows up as you go slightly down hill. I got to see the infield in that area up close!

I don't think the fast line is on top of the curbing coming on to the back stretch but I saw several passes there that used the curbing.

I look forward to seeing all of you guys there!
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

Default ITO is not an ECR class

Paul,
    It look like I am tentatively on board for the race with my Cobra.
    (With Mike Galley and Buddy Hendricks from Horsepower TV as co-drivers)
    The only issue I have right now is BP or ITO is not an 'ECR' class.
    The ECR rules state the region can add 'non-ECR' classes to a event, but in the event of over-subscription, the 'non-ECR' classes will be the first to go.
    Has a region EVER added ITO to an ECR?
    (I did run the car at an ECR in Homestead in Florida region's P1 class)
    I worry that I'll drive the 850 miles to get there, just to find out that I can't race
    So, my question is if they do add ITO to the ECR race, what is the likelyhood of over-subscription?
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

You know, I don't know what the powers that be will do. I will find out and post something back ASAP.

SteveE, Butch,BillP do you guys know? Emails will follow.....

Thanks for considering the drive up, FWIW I am on business travel in St. Pete this week. I walked the course for the ALMS/Indy car Grand Prix today. I have to tell you that while it looks like fun a street race with jersey barrier along the edge of the course has got to be a nerve wrecking trip! Where do I sign up (I wish)
    Paul Ballance
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z

The classes listed as eligible for ECR in the rules will be allowed in the 300K/3 Hour Night ECR at Nashville Superspeedway. Those are:
    ITR, ITS, ITA, ITB, ITC, IT7, SSB, SSC, SRF and SM.
    Find those rules at:
    www.sedivecr.com
    Full information on the event will be posted on the Chattanooga Region web site when the Sanction number is received. See the info at:
    www.rivergate5speed.com
    Some PROVISIONAL info is posted there already including a schedule, track map, motels, etc.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by titanium View Post
    Paul,
    It look like I am tentatively on board for the race with my Cobra.
    (With Mike Galley and Buddy Hendricks from Horsepower TV as co-drivers)
    The only issue I have right now is BP or ITO is not an 'ECR' class.
    The ECR rules state the region can add 'non-ECR' classes to a event, but in the event of over-subscription, the 'non-ECR' classes will be the first to go.
    Has a region EVER added ITO to an ECR?
    (I did run the car at an ECR in Homestead in Florida region's P1 class)
    I worry that I'll drive the 850 miles to get there, just to find out that I can't race
    So, my question is if they do add ITO to the ECR race, what is the likelyhood of over-subscription?
    ITO should be run in that Enduro. We run ITO in Atlanta Region Enduros and have been encouraged to put the Nashville race on our schedule. We tentatively will have two ITO Cobra Mustangs entered for the weekend.

I believe Butch is lurking and can answer for sure, but I would plan on ITO for your red Cobra.
    FYI...my sig photo is the ARRC Enduro this past November. Victory Lane. ITO.

As for oversubcription, they can be on the verge of that at Road Atlanta. I would not expect it to be that close at Nashville.
    Last edited by Cobrar05; 03-06-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I repost this from the endurance forum on the ITO issue.

"Rob,

Chattanooga Region and TVR will make that decision, but I will certainly encourage them to invite ITO to the Nashville ECR. You will also be able to run the July ECR at Road Atlanta.

Be aware of the ECR rules regarding oversubscription of events, however.

I hope that Chattanooga is allowing us to race.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I checked with the event organizers and despite my "encouragement" they have decided stay with the standard ECR classes for their first attempt at hosting a three-hour ECR race under-the-lights on a 1.41-mile roval. This could well change in the future, but for 2008 it's "no-go for ITO" at the Nashville ECR.

As far as oversubscription, we can only start 40 cars at Nashville. CRSCCA & TVR are already stretching their comfort zone and heading into unfamiliar territory by hosting a Double SARRC and night Enduro as their first event, so being conservative is probably the right thing to do.

Again, ITO WILL be invited to run all Atlanta Region Enduro events (ECR or otherwise) in 2008. We're working on another event at Road Atlanta and should have announcements early next week.
    Last edited by Butch Kummer; 03-06-2008 at 11:53 PM.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Is the infield portion lighted, or do we need to add additional lighting to our cars?

Chuck

There will be some auxillary lighting in the infield portion, so that combined with the oval lighting plus your standard headlights should be adequate.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion