Thread: New Racing Simulator Program

Default New Racing Simulator Program

I was looking on the SCCA.com website and noticed the announcement of SCCA's partnership with the company that's introducing a new PC racing simulation. I took a look at their website and found it quite interesting. They have a demo of Lime Rock Park and it looked pretty darn realistic. I'll be curious to learn more about it as they progress with the Spring release.

http://www.iracing.com/

http://http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3277
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

And done by David Kaemmer (sp?), who started Papyrus Software adn created the first "real" racing simulator (along with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix) -- Indy 500. Followed by IndyCar, and then Nascar 1,2,3,4 etc. and the incomparable Grand Prix Legends -- STILL perhaps the best physics model out there for racing.

This one should be good, real good.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to rFactor

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    And done by David Kaemmer (sp?), who started Papyrus Software adn created the first "real" racing simulator (along with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix) -- Indy 500. Followed by IndyCar, and then Nascar 1,2,3,4 etc. and the incomparable Grand Prix Legends -- STILL perhaps the best physics model out there for racing.

Oh, wow... talk about a blast from the past! I hadn't thought about Papyrus software in a long, long time. I did liiterally hundreds of hours of Beta testing for Papyrus in the late 90's... first with IndyCar, then with the NASCAR Online development. Can't remember any of the other testers' names, but wouldn't be a bit surprised to find another one or two of them in this forum.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

You found one! I was a beta tester on what they called "Hawaii" -- one of th first multiplayer on line racing setups for Nascar Racing 1 or 2, can't remember now. I think it was 1 actually. Played over teh phone lines on a 56k modem and all kinds of stability and warping issues. But a ton of fun.

I was in the "NIS" series; we raced Tuesday nights, had about 20 drivers and competing for a championship. Wild stuff.

NimC was the fast guy on Hawaii. Dad was another screen name I remember. I was Pbone (musician! not gay dude!). They say Earnhardt Jr. was another beta tester as well.

Fun times, until that long distance phone bill to Boston for 2 hours of racing each Tuesday showed up.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Yup, NASCAR 1, Hawaii servers... and BTW, I was testing on a dial-up modem from Honolulu. Seriously! Now you wanna talk about a phone bill!

NimC, Dad, Pbone... yes, those names are definitely familiar. I don't remember for absolute certain, but I think I was using GLearn as a screen name at the time. I was nearly unbeatable at WG and SP, but I couldn't run with the truly big dogs on the intermediate ovals in the longer races. I was very rarely out-qualified at Talladega, however, as I found a weakness in the sim and exploited it... tire temps. Speaking of E Jr, I ran against him a few times, I remember beating him at Charlotte in a short pick-up race on TEN once. Cool.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

yeah, I remember that about Dega. The trick was to jack the tire pressures way up right? Cause the sim didn't really account for tire wear at Dega. I do remember that.

I was fast at Phoenix, Loundon and Marty for some reason. Decent at Darlington, Rockingham and Charlotte. I did win a series race at Dover, and at Altanta on fuel mileage -- we ran 50% races or 1/2 of teh ACTUAL race length. Usually close to 2 hours of racing. Crazy.

Funny, i was a total Nascar kid growing up and hated teh road courses. I don't think I ever successfully completed a race at WGI or Sears.

I've now run the rovals at Charlotte and Rockingham in my S car. Amazing how close to real life Papyrus got the visuals, etc. Great sims.

I forgot that Hawaii rolled over into "Ten" once N2 came out. I didn't run that as much. I think by then I was doing track days in my BMW and the real world just seemed...more real....lol....

I heard about E Jr. on Hawaii and Ten but never raced with the guy. Do you remember his screen name?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The trick at 'dega was to spend the entire first (untimed) lap doing low speed (60-80 mph, as I recall) HARD left-right-left tire scrubbing to get them up to temp faster. Then the 2nd lap riding the wall to get up to speed, then the 3rd lap for time, down on the bottom. And yes, you ran as much pressure as the sim would allow IIRC.

Tried a lot of the 1/2 distance races, but gave up on them because (as you could well imagine) it was hard to stay online that long from Honolulu to... Boston was it?

For the life of me, I don't remember Dale Jr's screen name... I believe it was somewhat incognito.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

I do remember that at Dega now too..wow..memories. Really the only tricky part of that track was the tri oval (in N1). Other than that, drafting was the key once the race started. You had to stay tucked up with the fast guys for 2 hours or you had no chance.

I was leading with 3 to go at a 100% Dega race once, and got punted hard in 3/4. I don't think I've ever been angrier on track, real or virtual!

Fun stuff. Yes, Hawaii servers (and Papyrus) were in Boston.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    ...For the life of me, I don't remember Dale Jr's screen name... I believe it was somewhat incognito.
    FWIW, I was watching a show on ESPN this weekend journaling Jr's move to Hendrick. The guy who designed the paint scheme on the National Guard car was someone Jr met and raced with on-line. Although they didn't give the screen name, the guy implied it was somewhat obvious who he was.
    Mike Spencer
    NC Region
    ITA/7 RX-7 #60
    IT7R RX-7 #37 (build in process)
    1990 Classic Red Miata
    2004 "Winning Blue" RX-8

Check out those graphics! Damn, 14 years ago....

If I remember correctly Dave "Snake" Sabo from Skid Row (CT band) did the sound track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfejp...eature=related
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8